Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Boomer generation let us all down
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.14.2006, 03:09 PM   #1
cheguevara6
empty page

cheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
I look at them now as a bunch of sell out yuppies. They set out in the 60's to change society and the world. They wanted to stop the war, end patriarchy and wanted to get women more equal in society, they wanted to end the destruction of mother earth. They felt that the world was made of people like their parents generation who were more worried about work and money. They were searching for making a difference as opposed to making loads of loot.

Then they all turned yuppie and sold out. I cant think of many former hippies who are now still preaching as they did in the 60's. John kerry certainly isnt making a major fuss about the current war as he did in the 1960's and 1970's when he threw his medal in Washington over the fence. He sold out, you really think the john kerry of 1970 is the same kerry now? hell now.

My parents sold out as well, they took jobs. Their jobs aren't political, and talking to them they arent into selling all furniture and moving to India. They are into buying cars, tv's, phones and other useless crap. Especially now, you see many people many parents like Cindy Sheehan suggesting that they will not rest until the war is ended and all troops are home. Not my parents, and not the boomers. They dont care.

The majority of senators and Congressman, and the last few presidents have been Boomers. You dont see them trying to stop the imprisonment of African Americans, or trying to stop police brutailty, or trying to save the environment, or trying to bring all troops home. Boomers dont care. They care about Medicare, and Social Security but thats it.

I am in many ways ashamed to be an American and ashamed to identify as a modern day Hippie, the old hippies give it a bad name.

Our generation has it way harder than generations past:
-40 countries in a matter of years will have nuclear capabilities ((in the 60's they only had to worry about one country Russia)

-Global Warming (True it was ongoing in the 60's, but our generation will live to see its wrath and outcome most analysts predict its effects will show itself in the next couple decades).

-Rising U.S. debt (passed on, and on the previous generation didnt pay it off, guess who has to pay for it now)

-Doctors bills, medical bills, treatment bills of returning Iraq War vets. (Analysts say that the returning Iraq Vets have higher rates of mental illness than in previous wars)

-Our generation will most likely be the first generation to see the extinction of many species (salmon, polar bears, all fish, all trees etc...)

My question is what the hell happened? Why did the hippies turn their backs on their ideals, and get jobs and not care about what happens in the world.

I dont think the boomers give a damn about anything that happens to our generation. Who the hell do you think sent troops to iraq? Who the hell is cutting down all the trees? It aint our generation!!

Its becoming clearer and clearer that the only solution is revolution, a complete restructuring of society, and kicking out all boomers and getting 20 year olds in office who would be more likely to vote for our generations ideals. Or another option is to wait for the death of all boomers, I dont see them doing anything to help us. They are hurting our world. The problem with waiting for all their deaths is that it is wasting precious time. If most scientists predict all North Pole ice is gone by 2040, and all fish are extinct by 2050, and global warming effects the world completely in 20 years, waiting is killing us and does no good.

The revolution must start now. We as a generation shouldnt let down the next generation, like our parents did. We can and will change the world.

Every generation gets a chance, one shot to change society, to start the revolution. Our parents tried and failed. They are liars. Our generation is already starting to crumble, the school shootings are a good example. The WTO riots in 1999 in Seattle were all our generation and prove our generation isnt a bunch of apathetic idiots, our generation had an effect on that date.

Yet that cant be all our generation has to say and do, right?

Come on y'all lets take our world back!

We only get one shot at this, are we really willing to just sit by and watch everything happen? Are we willing to let salmon get killed off?

When this thing starts going, the revolution, I will be there, smiling, holding garden tools, tearing up the concrete and roads, ripping all that up.

Our world is being murdered, are you really willing to just sit there, and do nothing? We must save mother earth, because we have to.

SET IT OFF!!! RISE!!!
cheguevara6 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 03:16 PM   #2
compulsive diarrhea, jico
100%

compulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's asses
web-hippies?

go burn some incense or something.
compulsive diarrhea, jico is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 03:47 PM   #3
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
that's a...uh...bit pessimistic

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 04:00 PM   #4
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
You are a bit over-exagerrating there, there are still Boomers who care about things like the environment (the people who run those organizations). And you have to remember that the 60's were a looong time ago.

Plus I'm saying this because my dad is a Boomer and he does not really fit what you described. However, I am optomistic about a revolution.

Old 12.14.2006, 04:02 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
I look at them now as a bunch of sell out yuppies. They set out in the 60's to change society and the world. They wanted to stop the war, end patriarchy and wanted to get women more equal in society, they wanted to end the destruction of mother earth. They felt that the world was made of people like their parents generation who were more worried about work and money. They were searching for making a difference as opposed to making loads of loot.

Then they all turned yuppie and sold out. I cant think of many former hippies who are now still preaching as they did in the 60's. John kerry certainly isnt making a major fuss about the current war as he did in the 1960's and 1970's when he threw his medal in Washington over the fence. He sold out, you really think the john kerry of 1970 is the same kerry now? hell now.

My parents sold out as well, they took jobs. Their jobs aren't political, and talking to them they arent into selling all furniture and moving to India. They are into buying cars, tv's, phones and other useless crap. Especially now, you see many people many parents like Cindy Sheehan suggesting that they will not rest until the war is ended and all troops are home. Not my parents, and not the boomers. They dont care.

The majority of senators and Congressman, and the last few presidents have been Boomers. You dont see them trying to stop the imprisonment of African Americans, or trying to stop police brutailty, or trying to save the environment, or trying to bring all troops home. Boomers dont care. They care about Medicare, and Social Security but thats it.

I am in many ways ashamed to be an American and ashamed to identify as a modern day Hippie, the old hippies give it a bad name.

-40 countries in a matter of years will have nuclear capabilities ((in the 60's they only had to worry about one country Russia)

-Global Warming (True it was ongoing in the 60's, but our generation will live to see its wrath and outcome most analysts predict its effects will show itself in the next couple decades).

-Rising U.S. debt (passed on, and on the previous generation didnt pay it off, guess who has to pay for it now)

-Doctors bills, medical bills, treatment bills of returning Iraq War vets. (Analysts say that the returning Iraq Vets have higher rates of mental illness than in previous wars)

-Our generation will most likely be the first generation to see the extinction of many species (salmon, polar bears, all fish, all trees etc...)

My question is what the hell happened? Why did the hippies turn their backs on their ideals, and get jobs and not care about what happens in the world.

I dont think the boomers give a damn about anything that happens to our generation. Who the hell do you think sent troops to iraq? Who the hell is cutting down all the trees? It aint our generation!!

Its becoming clearer and clearer that the only solution is revolution, a complete restructuring of society, and kicking out all boomers and getting 20 year olds in office who would be more likely to vote for our generations ideals. Or another option is to wait for the death of all boomers, I dont see them doing anything to help us. They are hurting our world. The problem with waiting for all their deaths is that it is wasting precious time. If most scientists predict all North Pole ice is gone by 2040, and all fish are extinct by 2050, and global warming effects the world completely in 20 years, waiting is killing us and does no good.

The revolution must start now. We as a generation shouldnt let down the next generation, like our parents did. We can and will change the world.

Every generation gets a chance, one shot to change society, to start the revolution. Our parents tried and failed. They are liars. Our generation is already starting to crumble, the school shootings are a good example. The WTO riots in 1999 in Seattle were all our generation and prove our generation isnt a bunch of apathetic idiots, our generation had an effect on that date.

We only get one shot at this, are we really willing to just sit by and watch everything happen? Are we willing to let salmon get killed off?

When this thing starts going, the revolution, I will be there, smiling, holding garden tools, tearing up the concrete and roads, ripping all that up.

Our world is being murdered, are you really willing to just sit there, and do nothing? We must save mother earth, because we have to.

SET IT OFF!!! RISE!!!

hm, not to be a prick, but... what 80's publication did you crib this from exactly?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 04:05 PM   #6
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

I think you're only reffering to American Boomers. Remember there are other countries that worry about these things (and are doing something about it).

Old 12.14.2006, 04:07 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
very 80's
Old 12.14.2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
I think you're only reffering to American Boomers. Remember there are other countries that worry about these things (and are doing something about it).

hahaha nice one on dissing americans! Porkie will rep ya
Old 12.14.2006, 04:42 PM   #9
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sorry, but I can't read that much bullshit at one time. I'll have to finish later.
Old 12.14.2006, 05:16 PM   #10
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
God I love Yuppies.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 05:57 PM   #11
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

SET IT OFF!!! RISE!!!

they ran out of drugs, man

oh and shut the fuck up dude
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 06:29 PM   #12
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
FIGHT THA POWER, FIGHT THA POWER!

Hello, there, person who doesn't post a lot.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 07:03 PM   #13
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

SET IT OFF!!! RISE!!!
What is it with that username?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 07:06 PM   #14
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Better_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My question is what the hell happened? Why did the hippies turn their backs on their ideals, and get jobs and not care about what happens in the world?

They grew up and matured. Realized that you can't live your life on a year long roadie with your friends; bitching about a world thats always going to suck and be unfair or bitching about people who are so completely ignorant they'd like to convince the world there's no such thing as global warming or the holocaust never happened.

I see where you're coming from and agree that there are things government officials should be more concerned with than oil and terrorism.

But, I too, believe you are over-exaggerating and being a little pessimestic.

There's a great deal of Americans who have all ready started a revolution of sorts. If you really want to change how us shameful americans think get out of your house and do something. Don't post information like this on a board where the majority doesn't give two shits.

Better_Than_You is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hm, not to be a prick, but... what 80's publication did you crib this from exactly?

I have the exact same copy of wimmin's revolution (March 1986, with the article on 'are phones phallic opressors?') that you stole that response from.

And to the young firebrand who started this thread: Best of luck. If you're not entirely cynical in 10 years, very, very well done. I mean that most seriously as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 08:12 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I have the exact same copy of wimmin's revolution (March 1986, with the article on 'are phones phallic opressors?') that you stole that response from.

And to the young firebrand who started this thread: Best of luck. If you're not entirely cynical in 10 years, very, very well done. I mean that most seriously as well.

you fucking bastard are encouraging him to keep this up for another decade? he'll end up homeless for fucks sakes.
Old 12.14.2006, 08:14 PM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you fucking bastard are encouraging him to keep this up for another decade? he'll end up homeless for fucks sakes.

I'm encouraging him because I said some very, very similar things when I was younger. Make of that what you will. I have been homeless in the past as well. Prescient? Coincidence? Or bollocks? YOU decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 08:23 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm encouraging him because I said some very, very similar things when I was younger. Make of that what you will. I have been homeless in the past as well. Prescient? Coincidence? Or bollocks? YOU decide.

man, when you were younger it was probably the 80s and the protest fit the times. but in 2007? i suspect you're trying to play a darwinian experiment in this unsuspecting fool, you evil mastermind... putting natural selection in fast forward & all...
Old 12.14.2006, 10:49 PM   #19
towelie
little trouble girl

towelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant future
[quote=cheguevara6]I look at them now as a bunch of sell out yuppies. They set out in the 60's to change society and the world. They wanted to stop the war, end patriarchy and wanted to get women more equal in society, they wanted to end the destruction of mother earth. They felt that the world was made of people like their parents generation who were more worried about work and money. They were searching for making a difference as opposed to making loads of loot."

And don't forget the most important thing they wanted to do was to get a little high. Getting a little high can be good. Which reminds me that it's time for me to get high again.

(popeye theme music)

Oh man, I'm gonna play that Yellow Submarine song.
towelie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2006, 09:29 AM   #20
Concept7or8
empty page

Concept7or8 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
ah the boomers were alright, they couldn't have a revolution for ever, somebody's got to work at some stage. I used to think all revolutionary when I was younger, I'm more cynical now, well a bit grown up and a bit cynical. don't like the cynicism though, Ireland is such a shit yuppie country to live in at mo'. everyones a yuppie, urgh!
Concept7or8 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth