Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swans - To Be Kind - May 13th 2014
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.22.2015, 08:51 PM   #241
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
Anybody seen Swans this year?

After seeing them at a short outdoor festival set, I saw them on Friday in Toronto. Good show but I was a little underwhelmed to be honest (It's easy to hype up Swans too much I suppose). The set seemed to be waaay too drone-y (even for Swans!) which is incredibly hard for me to say.

My biggest beef though was the removal of "The Apostate" from the setlist and replacing it with some boring drone song they are coming up with. The apostate is absolutely killer live so I was a little heartbroken about missing that incredible lap steel sound that Christoph does throughout and that 2nd half dance break. Also by taking out "the Apostate", Christoph seemed to have little to do during the show and was often found just toking on his little portable vaporizer thing. The show just didn't have as much groove as we've come to expect from reformed Swans.

That being said, groove was certainly present in the closer "black hole man" which was the highlight of the set. But waiting almost 3 hours to get to a groove was definitely testing my patience a bit. Not bad at all, but just not what I've come to expect from Gira & co. in recent years.
saw them twice a couple of weeks ago, and to my surprise really enjoyed it. went to their headline show supported by oren ambarchi, who frankly shat on them as did htrk who I saw beforehand, as I can't help but see their new groove-based songs (a little god in my hands et al) as pandering and dull, whereas those billowing drones they played were utterly incredible, reminded me more of the 2011/2013 tours. the second set the next day was a condensed festival set and they essentially untethered the whole thing from rhythm and it was just excellent. just a little boy is really the only taker I have from to be kind and live it's enormous. new stuff also sounding solid, although it's likely going to be the same problem I had with the last two records, that being gira's proclivity to play the best stuff live and then fill out the overlong records with really slight songs.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2015, 03:58 PM   #242
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen Swans since their Houston show this summer, so I have nothing to compare to how they are sounding now.

Here is their setlist from February 20th in Toronto:

Frankie M
A Little God In My Hands
The Cloud of Unknowing
Just a Little Boy (For Chester Burnett)
I Forget
Bring the Sun / Black Hole Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Setlist (what my ears recognized) Houston 2014

Frankie M
A Little God In My Hands
The Apostate
Just A Little Boy
Don't Go
Bring The Sun / Black Hole Man (I'm An Ass Hole Man)

For a while early on, Swans were playing The Cloud of Unknowing/The Apostate together. With Swan's releasing the Oxygen single toward the end of 2014, I'm somewhat surprised to not see them playing this. Also, why not record "Frankie M" and release it as a tour only single???
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2015, 11:35 AM   #243
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Seeing them again at the Glasgow Art School in May with Okkyung Lee opening, cannot fucking wait.

Listening to The Great Annihilator now and damn if I don't believe it's my favourite thing that they've ever done.
Old 05.29.2015, 05:11 AM   #244
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Question for Swans fans: can you highlight the main differences between the recent reissue of Filth and the reissue of Filth bundled with Body to Body, Job to Job. Ta!
Old 05.31.2015, 02:44 PM   #245
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
Question for Swans fans: can you highlight the main differences between the recent reissue of Filth and the reissue of Filth bundled with Body to Body, Job to Job. Ta!

I haven't purchased it, and probably won't considering that I just bought the 2014 LP a few months ago, but I know that it contains mostly the same material. Body to Body/Job to Job is included. I think the main difference is that the 2015 cd reissue contains bonus material not previously available in the Filth/Body cd bundle.

The 1982 debut EP is included, but I'm not sure what else is there in terms of little treats or bonus material other than some posters. I'm sure a complete tracklist is available for all editions on the Swans website.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2015, 08:57 PM   #246
whorefrost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I haven't purchased it, and probably won't considering that I just bought the 2014 LP a few months ago, but I know that it contains mostly the same material. Body to Body/Job to Job is included. I think the main difference is that the 2015 cd reissue contains bonus material not previously available in the Filth/Body cd bundle.

The 1982 debut EP is included, but I'm not sure what else is there in terms of little treats or bonus material other than some posters. I'm sure a complete tracklist is available for all editions on the Swans website.

Ah, gotcha, many thanks man!
Old 10.17.2015, 11:26 PM   #247
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I just recently picked up the Filth Deluxe 3CD. This is the first early Swans release I have heard. So in this package we get CD1=Filth+some live stuff, CD2=Body to Body+some live stuff, CD3=EP1+some live stuff. I think the live stuff is generally expanded from previous editions. I was very surprised upon first listening about the similarities(!!) between Swans 82-84 and now. Gira sounds the same, and the basic songwriting techniques are the same, and the vibe that is unique to Swans is evident in these early years. Christ, Gira has even re-imagined 82-84 songs on the recent releases. (Oxygen vs Blackout, anyone?) This is all very high compliment vice complaining. I'm very happy that Gira has been very consistent for at least 3 decades. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this motherfucker.
Old 10.17.2015, 11:37 PM   #248
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Also, I'm sure you Swans fans are aware, The Gate is out, and the new studio album is well underway. I read somewhere that May 2016 is the target. And Gira has decided to retire this version of Swans after the next tour. Sorry if this has been written in the thread somewhere and I just missed it.
Old 10.19.2015, 09:08 AM   #249
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
^^^I wasn't aware about, The Gate being out......and now, SOLD OUT!

Looking forward to the new album in May.
Old 10.19.2015, 02:25 PM   #250
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Skuj, been a while. I was just thinking about you the other day when I was like "Oh hey, The Gate is out, I'm gonna order it", then saw that it was sold out, then checked eBay and found it was selling for $125-$150, then said "Mother of shit!" really loudly.

Who wants to buy a fundraiser CD second hand? Not I. As much of a Swans fan as I am, I wouldn't buy it unless it was going to the band.

Maybe if a $50 copy was on eBay, I'd buy it and then send a donation to Gira. But I'm not going to give all that money on JoeEbayUser, so he can make a killing off of one of my favorite bands.

But anyway, good to see you sir.
Old 10.22.2015, 12:59 AM   #251
Skuj
invito al cielo

Why thank you Sir. You know....funny thing....these fundraiser CDs keep showing up at my fav CD shop. I never did get one, preferring the finished (ie studio) product instead. I expect the next studio release will have a DVD of 2014/2015 shows anyway, with similar embryonic versions. Where the fuck is the best Swans discussion board in the world, I wonder?
Old 11.03.2015, 10:14 AM   #252
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
And Gira has decided to retire this version of Swans after the next tour. Sorry if this has been written in the thread somewhere and I just missed it.

Even being years away, I've been thinking about this a lot since reading about it. I hate to think this current lineup would cease to stop recording / touring, but the thought of him rejoining forces with Jarboe is very intriguing......anyone have other thought of what direction Gira may choose?
Old 11.03.2015, 11:45 AM   #253
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Even being years away, I've been thinking about this a lot since reading about it. I hate to think this current lineup would cease to stop recording / touring, but the thought of him rejoining forces with Jarboe is very intriguing......anyone have other thought of what direction Gira may choose?

Is there info to suggest that he may be joining up w/ Jarboe again? I would think he'd be more likely to go forward into something new, rather than circling back to a previous incarnation of the band. But I have no idea..

It would be a damn shame if Thor Harris was no longer involved, that's for fucking certain.
Old 11.03.2015, 12:46 PM   #254
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Quote:
Is there info to suggest that he may be joining up w/ Jarboe again? I would think he'd be more likely to go forward into something new, rather than circling back to a previous incarnation of the band. But I have no idea..

It would be a damn shame if Thor Harris was no longer involved, that's for fucking certain.

NO - haven't seen any info suggesting a reunion with, Jarboe......just wishful thinking on my part. Previous in this thread, Savage Clone mentioned that Swans are on a trajectory like never before. Piggybacking on that thought process, I would view Gira and Jarboe trajectories crossing paths in the future as something new instead of a previous incarnation.

I totally feel the same about, Thor......wonder if Gira ever considered doing a horn based album?
Old 11.03.2015, 08:42 PM   #255
Severian
invito al cielo

That could work. Brass, used in slow tense builds like the trombone in Sympathy for the Strawberry, could be put to great effect on a Swans record.

Of course, maybe MG meant that the end of this incarnation of the band would have more to do with sound than personnel. They've definitely been flirting with the same kinds of concepts since rebooting. Maybe all he means is that Swans are going focus on electronics or make an acoustic record, or something...
Old 11.11.2015, 02:02 AM   #256
Skuj
invito al cielo

The Jarboe reunion will occur right after Sonic Youth reunites. I applaud this outlook....retire the gang at the peak of their powers.....after many intense years of recording and touring. It cannot be sustained. These are old guys. But I want that 4th album to be a 3hr 3CD Motherfucker, mkay?
Old 11.11.2015, 02:06 AM   #257
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I had this very discussion with a friend of mine and to be honest i like Swans current stuff as it is. They don't need a reunion, what they are doing is good

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2015, 02:09 AM   #258
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
saw them twice a couple of weeks ago, and to my surprise really enjoyed it. went to their headline show supported by oren ambarchi, who frankly shat on them as did htrk who I saw beforehand, as I can't help but see their new groove-based songs (a little god in my hands et al) as pandering and dull, whereas those billowing drones they played were utterly incredible, reminded me more of the 2011/2013 tours. the second set the next day was a condensed festival set and they essentially untethered the whole thing from rhythm and it was just excellent. just a little boy is really the only taker I have from to be kind and live it's enormous. new stuff also sounding solid, although it's likely going to be the same problem I had with the last two records, that being gira's proclivity to play the best stuff live and then fill out the overlong records with really slight songs.

Eh? Personally I cannot think of a wasted moment on either of Seer or To Be Kind, but My Father Etc was somewaht tentative. I may have said this a dozen times here, but Look At Me Go completes My Father Etc. Gira's decision to add this later on was both brilliant and overdue. ie He must have known that My Father Etc was very incomplete.
Old 11.11.2015, 03:55 PM   #259
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Eh? Personally I cannot think of a wasted moment on either of Seer or To Be Kind, but My Father Etc was somewaht tentative. I may have said this a dozen times here, but Look At Me Go completes My Father Etc. Gira's decision to add this later on was both brilliant and overdue. ie He must have known that My Father Etc was very incomplete.
I agree completely there is no filler and indeed these two are realistically my favorite Swans records, the sound is so much more "mature"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2015, 04:55 PM   #260
Severian
invito al cielo

I think My Father Will Guide me up a rope... is a brilliant fucking album. The ranks above To Be Kind for me. Not above the Seer, but that's because the Seer is the real pinnacle of the trilogy. If this incarnation of Swans was to be compared to Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Saga, the Seer would be Fhe Dark Knight.

I've never thought of My Father... as incomplete. Experimental, unprecedented, yeah. At the time of its release, maybe even a little hard to digest or recognize as "proper" Swans. But that's because it was the start of a new era. It was a beautiful risk that worked out perfectly, and helped them home in on the elements that defined their two most celebrated albums to date.

To Be Kind feels a little bit like it could have used some editing. I was moonlighting in a record store when that album came out, and I heard lifelong fans cracking jokes about "Bring the Sun." Great record, but it could have been better.
101112 13 14 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth