Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Dino Jr. question..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2006, 03:29 PM   #1
sonicderek
empty page

sonicderek has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
So, how long does it take to get your hearing back after seeing Dinosaur Jr. live? Cause I am deaf. J's guitar was so loud last night I thought I was going to lose consciousness. It was superb. But seriously, I'm deaf.
sonicderek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Ha ha...

I think I went deaf from seeing them too many times, so now it only takes me a day or so...

It took over a week the first time I saw them, and I was convinced (also) that I had gone deaf.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
J Mascis likes to play loud. when I saw them hre last month I was screaming along to every song at the top of my lungs and I could not hear myself for shit!!!!

here is a snippet from an interview with MURPH

Q - How do you keep from going deaf?
A - We wear earplugs. But Lou and I were actually talking about that last night after the show -- how like, people were complaining and we've been complaining of like, weird bodily symptoms [from the volume].
Q - What kind of symptoms? A - While I'm playing, my hand will go numb -- like, literally, I'll get pins and needles. Or your heart flutters while you're playing. It's the low frequencies. Those are the ones that can really get you. I think over the years since we've been playing so loud, we're addicted to the volume -- the assault. Even though it's, like, weird -- you get weird side effects -- it just doesn't feel right if it's not that loud.
Old 04.13.2006, 04:53 PM   #4
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
yea when i saw them i was right in front of J's amp and i remember giving my ear plugs to a friend. My ears were ringing for two days straight, i was seriously worried for a little while.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 04:57 PM   #5
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
I think I'm already going deaf from my mp3 player. I cant afford to go to a dino concert. I could end up permantly handicapped.
Old 04.13.2006, 08:28 PM   #6
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
You guys are wimps. I was right in front of J. as well, & I didn't need earplugs. & my hearing was fine after the concert. The only problem was I couldn't hear any of the vocals.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 04:00 PM   #7
sonicderek
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
You guys are wimps. I was right in front of J. as well, & I didn't need earplugs. & my hearing was fine after the concert. The only problem was I couldn't hear any of the vocals.

I felt like a wimp standing in front of J's absurdly loud wall of speakers. I didn't have earplugs either (i'm not sure if I would have worn them if given the chance). I don't think it was possible to get the vocals louder than the guitar. I couldn't even hear the drums half the time, let alone the vocals. Everyone was still singing along though, which made it even more incredible. And man, I'm not sure how you could hear fine after the show.. you must have some terrible ear wax
Old 04.14.2006, 08:46 PM   #8
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicderek
I felt like a wimp standing in front of J's absurdly loud wall of speakers. I didn't have earplugs either (i'm not sure if I would have worn them if given the chance). I don't think it was possible to get the vocals louder than the guitar. I couldn't even hear the drums half the time, let alone the vocals. Everyone was still singing along though, which made it even more incredible. And man, I'm not sure how you could hear fine after the show.. you must have some terrible ear wax

Oh, I'm not saying that shit wasn't loud. It was the most loudest show I'd ever been to. & that includes J.Mascis+The Fog. But & The Fog show, You could here the bass better, & the drums, & the vocals. & that show was in a smaller venue than the one I saw Dinosaur Jr in.
But anyway, who's complainig. I had a great fucking time.

-EDIT-
Uh, OH. I'm dominating the boards. I hate when that happens.
-George Carlin
Old 04.14.2006, 09:46 PM   #9
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
im going to see them on the 21st at the troubadour in LA!!! YES!!!
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 09:55 PM   #10
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Have a great time. We all know you will

Here's my five second recap of the 4/7th show @ The Orange Peel;

Saw a cool art exhibit. Ate some food. Smoked a splif. Walked right past J.
Priestess sucked. Dead Meadows was great. Dinosaur Jr. blew everyone away.
& I got one of Murph's performed w/ Vic Firth drumstick.

I love Dinosaur Jr.!
-George Carlin
Old 04.14.2006, 10:35 PM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i stood in front of j when i saw them, but since it was an open air concert in central park, the volume distributed itself more. it was pretty loud but i didn't go deaf

actually, i lost more of my hearing after seeing thurston/surgal/winant; that show was way more deafening (probably because of the venue) than dino
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 10:56 PM   #12
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

@ The Orange Peel show, it was pretty damn loud, but it wasn't defining.
The Orange Peel holds about 300-500 people, so that should give you an idea of what it sounded like that night. I believe a week ago tonight.
-George Carlin
Old 04.15.2006, 12:13 AM   #13
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Did you see them at The Blue Note?
Because I had to miss that show. Bummer.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2006, 12:34 AM   #14
sonicderek
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
Did you see them at The Blue Note?
Because I had to miss that show. Bummer.

Yeah, at the Blue Note.. Sorry you had to miss it..
Old 04.15.2006, 05:17 AM   #15
grungenotdead?
empty page

grungenotdead? ain't too shabby
Quote:
So, how long does it take to get your hearing back after seeing Dinosaur Jr. live? Cause I am deaf. J's guitar was so loud last night I thought I was going to lose consciousness. It was superb. But seriously, I'm deaf.

lucky bitch!!! you got to see them, be happy.

grungenotdead? is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2006, 05:29 AM   #16
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Yeah, we should be thankful they got back in this touring mood that they're in.
-George Carlin
Old 04.15.2006, 05:40 AM   #17
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I KNOOOW!! I had the same ringing pain after the gig. Didnt mind too much, i know that it was well worth it, to be fucked thru the ear by Dinosaur doesnt bother me all that much. Twas definately loud....an noisey....an fuzzy....and energetic...The croud was buzzing, croudsurfers, moshers, the odd few oldies who liked 2 smack the bouncing kids. But yea absoloutly BRILIANT SHOW...so fuckin loud man.....
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2006, 05:45 AM   #18
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperstation
I KNOOOW!! I had the same ringing pain after the gig. Didnt mind too much, i know that it was well worth it, to be fucked thru the ear by Dinosaur doesnt bother me all that much.

Yeah, I don't mind being fucked in the ear by Dinosaur Jr. Including Dino Jr.,
J.Mascis has fucked me in the ear twice. (ha ha)
(J.Mascis+The Fog & Dinosaur Jr.)
-George Carlin
Old 04.15.2006, 05:48 AM   #19
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Yeah, I don't mind being fucked in the ear by Dinosaur Jr. Including Dino Jr.,
J.Mascis has fucked me in the ear twice. (ha ha)
(J.Mascis+The Fog & Dinosaur Jr.)

I saw them twice, when the original JayLouMurph reformed....And the first time they played a bunch of songs off their first 3 (my favorites) SST/Homestead records......then the 2nd time....THE 2ND TIME!!....They played the whole of your living all over me....including some songs that have hardly ever been performed....Chunks, Show me the way...ooh man it was an experience.....Half the croud left after the original setlist...so by the 4th encore the floor was half empty.....idiotic - id say
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2006, 05:56 AM   #20
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Those fucking moron's. They get a chance to see on of the greatest band line-ups in the history of music (J., Lou, & Murph) & they walk out, what idiots.
I love the SST records as well, but the original releasings weren't mixed well at all. You could hardly hear Lou's bass before the remastered releases.

I'll never forget walking right past J. outside the venue. He was just hanging out, leaning on a brick wall. I should have asked to hang out for a minute.
But, I didn't want to be all like, Oh, I love you J.Mascis. I'm a huge fan. You know what I mean. He's too mellow of a guy to be getting into deep conversation w/ anyway. Oh yeah, & I got one of Murph's drumsticks. Fuck Yeah!
-George Carlin

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth