Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Names for sonic fans & other.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.08.2007, 12:41 PM   #21
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
hahahaha, yeah, let's degrade sonic youth and their fans. whoooooo!!

but the part where that guy compares mudhoney to the grateful dead totally redeems this thread. made me laugh a lot.

I hope you were laughing at my dead-on accuracy--no other group that came out of the Seattle grunge scene (itself comparable to the hippie scene of San Francisco circa '67) is so comparable to the Dead in regards to the criteria outlined. If you can name an original grunge band that's still together, has maintained the same looks/wardrobe and values of 20 years ago, and has often veered off Dead-like into the realms of country (check out their '94 EP with Jimmie Dale Gillmore) and blues, then please do so. I'll certainly stand corrected if your arguments add up.

While we're on the subject of "classic grunge in comparison to classic rock," Has anyone ever noted the musical and visual similarities between Nirvana and Joe Walsh's old band, The James Gang? There's some old TV footage of the latter performing "Walk Away" circa 1970--it's like an eerie crystal ball image of what's coming down the pipes in two decades.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2007, 12:47 PM   #22
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Mudhoney is the best band out of the 'grunge' era anyways...
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2007, 10:29 PM   #23
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
comparing two of the worst bands in the history of music, hilarious!!!

"classic grunge"! that almost made me spill my milk out of my nose.

keep up the comedy.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2007, 01:44 AM   #24
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, 'classic grunge' made me giggle.
Old 05.09.2007, 09:13 AM   #25
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone participating in this forum have anything positive, non-paradoxical or demonstratively intelligent to say? I'm beginning to get the feeling that this is not a thinking person's stop on the internet--nor is it a place for true fans of Sonic Youth; but rather just a place where a few people with low self-esteems, chips on their shoulders the size of menhirs, and pathetic deficits in talent and original thought get together to incite disharmony (for all the wrong reasons) and compensate for their shortcomings by castigating those whom they secretly perceive of as their "intellectual superiors." It's not quite as laughably moronic as some of the other forums out there (a la "Rate Your Music", where responses exceeding 3 words might get you labelled a "show-off Ph.D. candidate"), but sometimes it appears to be on the verge.

Having said that, I think King_Buzzo is quite possibly right: Mudhoney probably was--and continues to be--the best of the "classic grunge" bands.(Time flies, doesn't it? When I was attending university in the early 90's, I thought "classic punk" sounded kind of idiosyncratic and anachronistic or premature.) I think they defined grunge musically, lyrically, visually and ideologically more so than any other group to come out of that era.

By the way, has anyone ever seen that old James Gang footage I mentioned in the last post? I'm going to do a search and see if I can locate it on the net. It's a eerie laugh.
Old 05.09.2007, 09:18 AM   #26
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetengine
Does anyone participating in this forum have anything positive, non-paradoxical or demonstratively intelligent to say? I'm beginning to get the feeling that this is not a thinking person's stop on the internet--nor is it a place for true fans of Sonic Youth; but rather just a place where a few people with low self-esteems, chips on their shoulders the size of menhirs, and pathetic deficits in talent and original thought get together to incite disharmony (for all the wrong reasons) and compensate for their shortcomings by castigating those whom they secretly perceive of as their "intellectual superiors."
"Pot, meet kettle."
"Hey, kettle, you're black."

We're (mostly) happy. You're not. An easy solution comes to mind.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2007, 11:35 AM   #27
jetengine
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
"Pot, meet kettle."
"Hey, kettle, you're black."

We're (mostly) happy. You're not. An easy solution comes to mind.

Oh? and what would that be?...Gas in the showers...? Or leave some of you more pathetic, overgrown children to your ignorant delight...?
Old 05.09.2007, 11:39 AM   #28
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Does anyone participating in this forum have anything positive, non-paradoxical or demonstratively intelligent to say? I'm beginning to get the feeling that this is not a thinking person's stop on the internet--nor is it a place for true fans of Sonic Youth;

you aree right, we're all stupid, can't string two words together and we only listen to kool thing

Quote:
but rather just a place where a few people with low self-esteems, chips on their shoulders the size of menhirs, and pathetic deficits in talent and original thought get together to incite disharmony (for all the wrong reasons) and compensate for their shortcomings by castigating those whom they secretly perceive of as their "intellectual superiors."

hahahahahahahahahahaha, fuck man, more like comedic superiors...by the way, can you be any more pretentious?

Quote:
It's not quite as laughably moronic as some of the other forums out there (a la "Rate Your Music", where responses exceeding 3 words might get you labelled a "show-off Ph.D. candidate"), but sometimes it appears to be on the verge.

we try our best.

now, you say we're not as smart or as loyal sy fans because we don't want to label ourselves into a dumb name like "deadheads". i rather think that sy fans are thinking individuals who can appreciate various aspects from the band without turning into a dumb mass of people, like the deadheads who are just into being a seemless mass of identical beings herded into a stable (grateful dead concerts), smoke pot and be retarded while listening to 3 or four hours of talentless solos that most sound hypergroovy while being wasted. is it more "intellectual" to listen to someone jack off for half an hour with scales while being amongst a sea of people who dress, act and talk the same or to be a person who enjoys the music of a band and can have different opinions and likes from other fans?

Quote:
Having said that, I think King_Buzzo is quite possibly right: Mudhoney probably was--and continues to be--the best of the "classic grunge" bands.(Time flies, doesn't it? When I was attending university in the early 90's, I thought "classic punk" sounded kind of idiosyncratic and anachronistic or premature.) I think they defined grunge musically, lyrically, visually and ideologically more so than any other group to come out of that era.

sorry to break it to you, but a) classic grunge, for there to be classic grunge there needs to be contemporary grunge, who the hell is playing contemporary grunge? and tell me, who of these bands that conform the "classic grunge" contingent actually call themselves grunge as in a style of music?

and b) mudhoney suck and have sucked for the most part of their "career", if you look at it, their legacy is just one song, after that, they did have some sparks of brilliance but ever since the mid-90's they've been repeating the same riff and the same songs while blanding their execution, or are you going to tell me that whatever song from their last album has the aggression and excitement of touch me i'm sick or even suck you dry?

of course, critics don't suck off to soundgarden and alice in chains the way they do to mudhoney, so they most not be that good, uh?

and let's see that definition of grunge according to mudhoney you mentioned:

-musically: ripping off stooges riffs.
-lyrically: singing about dogs and being sick.
-visually: flannel shirts, ripped jeans, long hair...gee, didn't all bands from seattle before and around their time dress like that too?
-ideologically: what's mudhoney ideology? getting wasted? it worked very well on kurt cobain.

here's your intellectual discussion.
Old 05.09.2007, 11:46 AM   #29
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Yes but im fucking saying they're the best out of those, who are you gonna pick? gay little wannabee metalers? niravna?
Old 05.09.2007, 11:53 AM   #30
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
geez, why do people that just make some music get so much shit, its weird.
Just dudes playing some beats and having fun, and people seem to think they own everything they do and hear.
Let people make fucking music
Old 05.09.2007, 12:00 PM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
Yes but im fucking saying they're the best out of those, who are you gonna pick? gay little wannabee metalers? niravna?

i know you have this thing against metal-influenced stuff (not liking the melvins) but i think soundgarden and alice in chains were far better than mudhoney; with soundgarden, at least they covered a lot of ground and weren't afraid to try new things and for the most part, made their stuff work, they bridged punk, metal and zeppelin/sabbath into something of their own. and alice in chains made music with amazing, evocative mood.

hell, even nirvana were better, sure they started trying to play as much as the melvins and mudhoney but they didn't stop there, for one, they weren't afraid to try and do a straight pop album and they followed it up with an album that pushed somewhere else, maintaining the vocal melodies they had developed in nevermind with the harder edged sound of bleach with things they hadn't really explored (the dissonant aggression of jesus lizard, shellac and amphetamine reptile records in general)

they weren't just trying to rewrite funhouse for a bunch of people who probably thought the hardest, wildest thing iggy had done was lust for life.
Old 05.09.2007, 12:15 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Oh? and what would that be?...Gas in the showers...? Or leave some of you more pathetic, overgrown children to your ignorant delight...?

i smell the stench of a blaterskite... could it be??
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2007, 12:33 PM   #33
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i smell the stench of a blaterskite... could it be??

Didn't you hear, he went into a hospital, he went mad. All because you ignored him, and gave him one little neg rep.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2007, 12:39 PM   #34
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

look at us, agruing about 'grunge' like we're a bunch of scenesters. This is fun.
Old 05.09.2007, 12:44 PM   #35
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Grunge was fun, and there is no such thing as classic grunge, all I know there is one and only grunge.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2007, 02:54 PM   #36
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was thinking that you could fuck off and leave us to wallow in our own stench. You clearly don't like the way this board gets used by its members, so why hang around?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2007, 02:55 PM   #37
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

BACK ON FUCKING TOPIC!!!
srsLY. Think of a name
Old 05.10.2007, 11:34 AM   #38
jetengine
children of satan

--you aree right, we're all stupid, can't string two words together and we only listen to kool thing--

Old 05.11.2007, 09:25 AM   #40
jetengine
children of satan

It wasn't meant to be insulting--it wasn't even meant to be a comback, for that matter. You made me laugh with your satirical take on my previous posting, so I just decided to follow up the theme with more of the same.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth