Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page INLAND EMPIRE: masterpiece? piece of shit?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2007, 04:44 AM   #21
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i would class him as a surrealist filmaker too.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 05:06 AM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Usher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i love it and i havnt even seen it yet.
My feelings exactly, well put!

prophetic visions or idol worship?

i mean-- expectations are one thing-- i had very high ones-- but reality is not wishful thinking.

i'm guessing i'm the only one here to have actually seen it so far??

meanwhile...

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/inlandempire
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 10:09 AM   #23
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I will not be paying money to see this envelope-breaking film.
I respect your honesty and insight, !@#$%!; I do realize though that you're merely stating what you think, and not discouraging anyone from seeing it necessarily.
It appears to me that half of the metacritics didn't really watch the movie, and anyone with any sense should know the "half" to which I'm referring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-brainwashed
Yeah, it's really tempting to make excuses for Lynch, for a guy that meticulously makes sure the dust bunnies under the radiator in Dorothy Vallen's womb-like apartment "look right" for the shot even if they happen to not get included in the frame.
Lynch's current philosophy (more like methodology) of filmmaking is the devil-may-care "everything fits" opposite.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2007, 01:37 AM   #24
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
Inland Empire premieres here in Belgium on February 7nd, I for one can't wait.
Check out this funny campaign by David Lynch for Laura Dern.

"Cheese is made from milk, get it?" -this guy's priceless

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2007, 07:36 AM   #25
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I will not be paying money to see this envelope-breaking film.
I respect your honesty and insight, !@#$%!; I do realize though that you're merely stating what you think, and not discouraging anyone from seeing it necessarily.
It appears to me that half of the metacritics didn't really watch the movie, and anyone with any sense should know the "half" to which I'm referring.

the funny think is, i don't know what i think, though my visceral reaction was that of being had in a confidence scheme. what i will think of it, i guess, is where things pivot. i have not made up my mind yet in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef Mertens
Inland Empire premieres here in Belgium on February 7nd, I for one can't wait.
Check out this funny campaign by David Lynch for Laura Dern.

"Cheese is made from milk, get it?" -this guy's priceless

well, the movie is not at all like that video. i stand in awe of laura dern's performance by the way, but i feel that this is a way to make amends for having sent her into this absurd maelstrom-- kinda like 'you trusted me now i owe you'. my favorite performance of 2006 is perhaps penelope cruz's, but it's the camera on laura dern's mutating facial geology that does a spectacular job.

i think that lynch may have blown it though.

as for "cheese is made of milk" i do get the metaphor, at least simplistically, that just like 9 gallons of milk are used to make, what, a pound of cheese, or so, lynch expects that a delicious movie will coagulate from the mess of his random meanderings, after properly aged and matured. a good premise, but i'm not sure it applies. not yet anyway. being sure, i mean.
Old 01.25.2007, 08:04 AM   #26
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
What I was kinda hoping was that the statement of INLAND EMPIRE being Mulholland Drive's 'evil twin' would nurture my needs

The thing with MD to me was I really liked the first hour and a half but wasn't satisfied with the last half hour glued to the rest, like Lynch was explaining dreams like Freud would. I was hoping that IE would just intertwine with scenes / rooms / dreams and no explanations - I don't mind an absurd maelstrom. I see his films, as do some critics as well, as a canvas of moving paintings (as Lynch own earliest paintings).

Then again I think being into making videos and bending my own ideas into images myself can preoccupie ones mind while watching his movies.

We'll see how it turns out

Old 01.25.2007, 09:14 AM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef Mertens
What I was kinda hoping was that the statement of INLAND EMPIRE being Mulholland Drive's 'evil twin' would nurture my needs

The thing with MD to me was I really liked the first hour and a half but wasn't satisfied with the last half hour glued to the rest, like Lynch was explaining dreams like Freud would. I was hoping that IE would just intertwine with scenes / rooms / dreams and no explanations - I don't mind an absurd maelstrom. I see his films, as do some critics as well, as a canvas of moving paintings (as Lynch own earliest paintings).

Then again I think being into making videos and bending my own ideas into images myself can preoccupie ones mind while watching his movies.

We'll see how it turns out

well if that is the case then you might enjoy it immensely at first try. its tricky though, for an abstract movie to be shot on video, because it even eliminates that visual element -- bu video for itself... well i think you are n the right mind to enjoy it, and if you do, when you do, please tell me how.
Old 01.25.2007, 10:13 AM   #28
Jef Mertens
100%

i just found a cd with some lynch treasures i hadn't seen for a while.

Rabbits episode 1-5: I don't know if these are the same episodes as in IE or he made some new ones.

Darkened Room: a 8 minute short as what seems like Lynch experimenting with video. Although I must admit it makes it harder to get into that Lynch world it feels like you have to wrestle yourself through a closed door where in previous Lynch films you were just sucked in.

just nice that Lynch is still pushing himself: which in my eyes he hadn't done with Mulholland Drive, but sure as hell did with Lost Highway and definitely The Straight Story.

Old 01.25.2007, 10:22 AM   #29
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
im normally into all the hip/arty stuff, but i hated MD....and I really dont get how his measure as a 'surrealist' can be compared to other great 'surrealist' stuff like 8 1/2 or any Fellini stuff....perhaps I need to watch eraserhead or blue velvet or something...but how much should one 'try' to like something like Lynch?
davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2007, 10:38 AM   #30
Jef Mertens
100%

I never considered Lynch as part of the hip/arty stuff. He's never there to create a hype surrounding his films, they always just kinda arrive.
This ain't arthouse shit in my opinion. But you don't have to 'try' to like David Lynch. You just like 'all' 'most' 'some' 'one' 'none' of his work.

I remember being very young when Twin Peaks aired in Europe and it were my folks that were watching it. they told me about it, taped it and that was my first contact with the work of Lynch without knowing him. Now my parents can't stand watching his films as they would knock asleep while watching it. i remember ranting about Lost Highway and when some friends came over to watch it my enthousiasm was ill-tempered as they thought
it was shit. luckily i have some other friends that are into the same shit as me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth