Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Ranaldo contemplates "The Eternal"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.29.2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Q&A: Sonic Youth's Ranaldo contemplates "The Eternal"

Fri May 29, 2009 5:10pm EDT
By Jason Lipshutz
NEW YORK (Billboard) - Thirty years into their career, the members of the art-rock band Sonic Youth are consistent as ever in the studio, although they're changing their strategy outside of it.
For "The Eternal," their 16th studio album (June 9), the band left longtime label Geffen Records and returned to the indie world, signing a one-record deal with Matador Records.
Guitarist Lee Ranaldo, a key element of the band's noise-fueled sound since its early days, spoke to Billboard about Twitter, Joy Division and his visual arts projects.
Billboard: Where did the title "The Eternal" come from?
Lee Ranaldo: Thurston (Moore, Sonic Youth's lead singer) thought it up, and I'm not sure if he knew what the connotations were. Obviously, it's an immediate reference to the longevity of the band. But we also found out that there's a Joy Division song called "Eternal," which we didn't realize at the time. I don't know if that was in the back of Thurston's head, but it's funny that we called this "The Eternal" right when we were really interested in Joy Division.
Billboard: Why did you decide not to continue with Geffen?
Ranaldo: We'd been on Geffen for a long time, and I think we felt that we needed a change. I just don't think we felt very close to the people at the label after all this time or that they understood what we were trying to do. I don't have any regrets, because at the time we signed with Geffen, it was the right thing to do. For the first couple (of) records like "Goo" and "Dirty," it afforded us some larger budgets and allowed us to play around. But to some degree it doesn't matter what label we're on, because it doesn't really affect our process at this point.
Billboard: Did you immediately jump to Matador, or did you consider other options?
Ranaldo: There were a bunch of interesting possibilities, including releasing the record ourselves. In the end, we decided we wanted a group of people behind our record rather than doing it ourselves. We talked to a bunch of really cool labels, and Matador is a label that we've always been keen on. Everyone there is a music person rather than a business person: Everyone's going out to shows and just keen on music in general, and they're excited to have us working with them.
Billboard: How much of a need is there for each new release to use different promotional tools?
Ranaldo: All that stuff is factoring in to one degree or another. We've prepared extra tracks for iTunes and for other digital downloading services. There's a Sonic Youth Twitter site and occasionally one of us will bump a thought up to it. I think it's part of the evolving nature of the industry, and we're used to entertaining various ideas at how you market a record. I don't feel like there's any reason to battle against that kind of stuff; I'm not old-guard enough.
Billboard: What is the upcoming tour going to be like?
Ranaldo: We'll be playing most of the new record, and we're never happier than when we're playing our most recent material. There are a lot of songs on this record where more than one of us is singing, so there's going to be more multivocal stuff, which is one thing that'll be different for us. Basically we're going to play a handful of older material, like the recent concerts we've been doing, with one-third new material and two-thirds stuff from every period in our career.
Billboard: Do you have any creative plans outside the band?
Ranaldo: I just released this 12-inch vinyl record, called "We'll Know Where When We Get There," in conjunction with an art show in Paris. It's mostly ambient recordings and some electric guitar. I've also been doing a lot of visual art stuff too: I'm doing a video and sound show with my wife, with live image projection, spoken word, guitar playing and backing tracks. And there's a new book of poems in the works. That stuff always keeps pace with everything else, whenever there's time to fit it in.
(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

© Thomson Reuters 2009. All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Thomson Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Thomson Reuters group of companies around the world.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 08:56 PM   #2
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
The world needs more Lee Ranaldo interviews. Thanks, Moshe.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 08:56 PM   #3
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses

I give you this instead of rep, which I cannot give.
Old 05.29.2009, 09:34 PM   #4
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Q&A: Sonic Youth's Ranaldo contemplates "The Eternal"

Fri May 29, 2009 5:10pm EDT
By Jason Lipshutz
NEW YORK (Billboard) -
Billboard: What is the upcoming tour going to be like?

Ranaldo: We'll be playing most of the new record, and we're never happier than when we're playing our most recent material. There are a lot of songs on this record where more than one of us is singing, so there's going to be more multivocal stuff, which is one thing that'll be different for us. Basically we're going to play a handful of older material, like the recent concerts we've been doing, with one-third new material and two-thirds stuff from every period in our career.

Hmmmm...I know he says they'll "be playing most of the new record", but if 1/3 of the show is new, that's only about 30 minutes or so. Shoot, during the RR tour, many of the shows had ALL of that album. Hoping for the same for the Eternal.

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Kosako
children of satan

Kosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent Moshe, thanks for posting this interview!
Kosako is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2009, 02:51 AM   #6
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
TFTL

key = thx for the link
Old 05.30.2009, 06:18 AM   #7
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2009, 07:21 AM   #8
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
thanks! nice read!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 04:12 AM   #9
ybag_girl
children of satan

ybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's assesybag_girl kicks all y'all's asses
really great thank
ybag_girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Eli Renfro
little trouble girl

Eli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald
Hmmmm...I know he says they'll "be playing most of the new record", but if 1/3 of the show is new, that's only about 30 minutes or so. Shoot, during the RR tour, many of the shows had ALL of that album. Hoping for the same for the Eternal.

I wonder if Lee meant 2/3 Eternal and 1/3 "old" material, or if that's what Lee said and the reporter messed up the quote. Because 2/3 Eternal and 1/3 old is more in line with the recent Europe setlists, and what they've done in past tours with new albums out. And like you said, if they're playing "most" of Eternal but that's only 1/3 of the show, those are going to be some LONG shows (not that anybody would complain about that).
Old 06.03.2009, 01:58 PM   #11
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i love you golden moshe
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone read any reviews of the album yet? I read one review in a British music publication named "Q" which liked it a lot, awarding it 4 marks out of 5.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 02:18 PM   #13
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
wire said it was good. and uncut liked it too. i haven't read Q's yet. the guy in Smiths keeps looking at me funny. but thats what smiths is for isn't it? reading their mags
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 02:21 PM   #14
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses
thanks!
Old 06.03.2009, 02:22 PM   #15
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I love the album, and I really hope I get to catch at least one of their shows in Tennessee. Lee is so cool, after all of this time and all of the praise he must be used to getting, he never seems to let it go to his head and he always talks about stuff with sincere interest and humility.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 10:56 AM   #16
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
lee is free.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
I love Moshe almost as much as I love Lee.
Thank you kindly!

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 02:00 AM   #18
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
^ i love you and Lee just the same.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 02:11 AM   #19
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I still dream of a more straight forward Renaldo solo album.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 06:50 PM   #20
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
so if this album is called "the eternal" in reference to a joy division song and the longevity of the band, should the next album be called "decades?"
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth