Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2016, 01:04 PM   #1561
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
howeveraz, I think my degree did me well, I took a bunch of humanities and history, geology major, math minor. I think the whole package was a great deal.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2016, 02:57 PM   #1562
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I think Fareed Zakaria's Washington Post column this week is the ultimate condensation of why Trump is fundamentally unacceptable, period, regardless of whether you are liberal, conservative, Democrat, Republican or an Alsatian dog for fuck's sake. Nothing we haven't mentioned, sure, but a great closing argument as we approach a giant "...phew!" or the arrival of the Four Horsemen.

Quote:
Why Donald Trump is different
By Fareed Zakaria
Thursday, November 3, 2016

Over the course of this campaign, I have heard from many people who have cheered my opposition to Donald Trump. But others have objected, arguing that I was being biased, that Hillary Clinton has many flaws as well. So let me try to explain, one last time, why Donald Trump is worth special attention.

I am not a highly partisan person. I have views that are left of center, but others that are conservative. I came to this country when Ronald Reagan was president and admired him. I think well of many Republican politicians, including the last two GOP presidential nominees, John McCain and Mitt Romney, both of whom are honorable men who would have been good presidents.

Donald Trump is different — not just because he is obnoxious, tacky and vulgar, or because his business dealings show him to be a scam artist. He is different because of what he believes.

The simplest way to understand Trump’s core beliefs is to look at his words and actions, not just today but well before. Politicians pander to voters, and Trump’s views on Social Security and Medicare (which he promises not to touch) and taxes (which he promises to cut) seem pretty insincere, reflections of what he thinks his supporters want to hear. But he does have deeper beliefs, values and instincts.

The first area that stands out is race. Trump has consistently expressed himself — in word and deed — in ways that can only be described as racist. In his earliest years as a developer, he was sued by the Justice Department for allegedly denying housing to qualified black people. In the case of the Central Park Five, Trump jumped into the public arena, taking out full-page ads assailing the accused black teenagers and demanding that “when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes.” Most strikingly, he refused to back down when DNA evidence had clearly exonerated the five men, and New York City was forced to pay $41 million in damages for wrongfully imprisoning them for up to 13 years.

Trump seems to believe in ethnic stereotypes deeply. He boasts of his own bloodline and compares it to breeding racehorses. In a 1991 book, one of his associates described him as horrified about having African Americans in his accounting department at two of his hotels, quoting Trump as saying, “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.” Trump acknowledged the veracity of these comments in a later Playboy interview, before walking it back in a 1999 NBC interview, calling it “nonsense.”

Trump has also always been a protectionist. In the 1980s, he was sure that the Japanese were about to take over the world and that the only solution was tariffs and trade wars. He doesn’t seem to have noticed that the future he predicted never happened. Undeterred, he has now focused his wrath on China, just as that economy has begun to slow down, and Mexico, a country so small that its effect on the U.S. economy is minimal. The common thread is that Trump is quick to tell Americans facing economic hardship that they should blame their problems on foreigners.

If there is one view that Trump has expressed consistently, openly and with relish, it is that women exist fundamentally as objects for men’s pleasure. He has said and done dozens of things over 30 years that confirm this demeaning view of women — in interviews with Howard Stern, during his ownership of the Miss Universe pageant, when describing working women, and when debating female candidates such as Carly Fiorina and Hillary Clinton. Trump once said in New York magazine about women, “You have to treat ’em like shit.”

Finally, Trump has expressed impatience and contempt for many of the foundations of liberal democracy. He has repeatedly promised to change laws to make it easier to punish journalists who offend him. He has threatened people who contributed to his Republican opponents, implying that he would have the government look into their business affairs. He has proposed a number of policies that are illiberal, unconstitutional or even war crimes, such as banning all Muslims from entering the United States, and waterboarding suspected terrorists and killing their families. He has compared his ideas to the internment of U.S. citizens and noncitizens of Japanese descent during World War II, implying that he approved of that measure. And he has threatened to jail his opponent if elected.

These, then, are the core views of Donald Trump, expressed over decades, and confirmed by many of his actions: racism, sexism, protectionism, xenophobia and authoritarianism. His views on taxes and regulations are irrelevant. Your view of Hillary Clinton is irrelevant. Donald Trump is not a normal candidate. He is a danger to American democracy. And that is why I will vote against him on Tuesday.

(c) 2016, Washington Post Writers Group

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2016, 06:44 PM   #1563
PLips
Banned

PLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's asses
I want to know Trump's position on coupons. Does he believe in savings or does he think consumers should be paying full price. Hillary could win the election if Trump promised to abolish coupons.
PLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2016, 08:31 PM   #1564
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLips
I want to know Trump's position on coupons. Does he believe in savings or does he think consumers should be paying full price. Hillary could win the election if Trump promised to abolish coupons.
he believes in the consumer getting shafted

go look at what happened to "trump university" and there's your answer
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2016, 08:40 PM   #1565
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
howeveraz, I think my degree did me well, I took a bunch of humanities and history, geology major, math minor. I think the whole package was a great deal.
of course man, that shows up in your everyday speech. it's evident when you discuss books, movies, etc.

but it also gives you a technical ability-- you can communicate with engineers, business executives, supplies, anyone really--- all the while sounding reasonable and coherent and not like someone who can't parse a sentence.

note that i've said i'm for a SKILLED workforce. the ones who are feeling the pain the hardest right now are the high school dropouts, the functional illiterates, the ones who don't know how to operate a computer, can't make a basic worksheet, read a technical manual, follow procedures, etc. etc. that shit needs to end.

the only way forward is, obviously, education--but an education has to enable a graduate to find gainful employment in their field of studies, not just give them a well rounded mind or whatever. starbucks has only so much room for people with a phd in cultural studies or critical theory or whatever the shit.

i mean, yes, your future is your own responsibility, but the universities have been doing a fucking con job by promising every born sucker a career in academia and then giving them an adjunct job for $2000 per course.
Old 11.06.2016, 09:14 PM   #1566
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i mean, yes your future is your own responsibility, but the universities have been doing a fucking con job by promising every born sucker a career in academia and then giving them an adjunct job for $2000 per course.

And that's high-end for adjunt work, from my experience. A community college in my area pays something like $500 a credit. And 75% of their classes are 3 credits or less (they have an equivalency system for transferring students, but the adjunct instructors get raped. And most do a shit job because of it.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2016, 11:29 AM   #1567
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Lurching violently between not caring (there are other things going on in everyone's life) and shitting bricks.

Anyone else?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2016, 11:57 AM   #1568
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Lurching violently between not caring (there are other things going on in everyone's life) and shitting bricks.

Anyone else?

i'm more calm since the latest polls, and the dipshit's announcement yesterday (was it yesterday? or saturday? i've lost track, lucky for me), but still miles to go etc etc

IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER

or

en la puerta del horno se quema el pan

keep punching
Old 11.07.2016, 01:11 PM   #1569
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Adios, motherfuckers. The country is about to tell you to fuck off. And when next Tuesday is over, crawl back to your deplorable lives, eat shit, and disappear

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2016/...are-wrong.html
Old 11.07.2016, 02:13 PM   #1570
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
we got through 8 years of Preznit Dubya. we will get through Hillary or Donald.
Old 11.07.2016, 04:12 PM   #1571
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I got my little cheat sheet made out already. Gonna stop by the polling today after work.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2016, 04:50 PM   #1572
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

just heard HRC speaking in michigan via washington post stream

okay, she's not supercharismatic like bill, that's for sure. she speaks in long complex sentences. she'd have a hard time being a celebrity. she's never going to be an entertainer.

but fuck, i like what she's saying. she's got a good program-- just heard the last part of wages and education and student debt. it makes good policy sense and she can make it happen.

go hillary go! win this one!

LOVE TRUMPS HATE
Old 11.07.2016, 06:49 PM   #1573
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
just heard HRC speaking in michigan via washington post stream

okay, she's not supercharismatic like bill, that's for sure. she speaks in long complex sentences. she'd have a hard time being a celebrity. she's never going to be an entertainer.

but fuck, i like what she's saying. she's got a good program-- just heard the last part of wages and education and student debt. it makes good policy sense and she can make it happen.

go hillary go! win this one!

LOVE TRUMPS HATE

Also, she is literally the most qualified person for the position since Lyndon Fucking Johnson. She was passionate about universal health care in the U.S. long before it was cool... before the then-uncorrupted Affordable Care Act was even a twinkle in a young Barack Obama's eye. She has a proven track record of effectively getting legislation passed from her tenure in the senate.

She's been the freaking First Lady, a two-term senator, and the US Secretary of State for fuck's sake. That sentence alone should be more than enough to convince any Dems on the edge that she's worth a vote to beat down Trump.

No, she doesn't play the saxophone or sing. She looks a bit like my mother in more expensive clothes, and my mom had a HELL of a time while in academia getting her ideas across to a 95% male college board. I too am absolutely rooting for her, and I hope the rest of the nation does the same, because she's stepping into an important seat at an important time.

She and Trump were both in MI today. Apparently it's become an anyone's guess kind of state. It's blue, but polling suggests it could flip.
Old 11.07.2016, 06:53 PM   #1574
Severian
invito al cielo

Ps I get to stay up until fucking forever tomorrow reporting results as they come in. I'm nothing close to a big-shot, so I'll be flllowing county and district data and phoning county commissioners and the like, but still... I'll be on call for the big meaty shit if anyone gets behind or calls in sick.

I'm pretty much planning on it being the most stressful night of my working life. And yes, I will be working under the influence of prescription anti-anxiety medications.
Old 11.08.2016, 07:25 AM   #1575
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

of course you like, she's spent millions of dollars on marketers and psychologists to fine tune the program so you'll love it. And then Katy Perry comes out with her big satanic tits to make you dribble a bit.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2016, 07:39 AM   #1576
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
of course you like, she's spent millions of dollars on marketers and psychologists to fine tune the program so you'll love it. And then Katy Perry comes out with her big satanic tits to make you dribble a bit.
right... because me agreeing that public education should be free for low & middle income people is the result of mkultra programming. or if hillary says we shouldn't be competing with china we should be competing with germany in high tech industries-- i like it because i'm a zombie.

it's the satanic tits, i tell you what. they'll make me do anything. like, agree with policies i favor, and other total nonsense.

BELIEVE ME. BELIEVE ME. BELIEVE ME.
Old 11.08.2016, 08:22 AM   #1577
ilduclo
invito al cielo

If no Bradley effect, should be all over. The misogyny factor might be a big thing, though. Sure as fuck hope not. We delivered paella and spinach/pear salad to our volunteers yesterday, there were a LOT of them, for our little burg of less than 150 thousand looked like 60 people there working the phones

����
Old 11.08.2016, 10:21 AM   #1578
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ah, election day nerves! fuck!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/op...raud.html?_r=0
Old 11.08.2016, 10:37 AM   #1579
ilduclo
invito al cielo

EST's. polls closing, asterisks mean there's more than one time zone.

6:00 pm Indiana*, Kentucky*
7:00 pm Florida*, Georgia, Indiana*, Kentucky*, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia
7:30 pm North Carolina, Ohio, West Virginia
8:00 pm Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Florida*, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan*, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Dakota*, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota*, Tennessee, Texas*
8:30 pm Arkansas
9:00 pm Michigan* New York, Minnesota, South Dakota*, North Dakota*, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Wisconsin, Wyoming
10:00 pm Iowa, Idaho*, Utah, Nevada, Montana
11:00 pm California, Idaho*, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii
12:00 am Alaska*
1:00 am Alaska*
Old 11.08.2016, 11:08 AM   #1580
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
just voted. it was more crowded than usual. i've been voting every election there for four years and never seen it so crowded. unfortunately i live in a swing state and had to vote clinton instead of stein (who honestly i wasn't thrilled with either). in 2000 i planned on voting nader, but when i got the booth a panic of what that idiot w bush presidency look like crossed my mind. i couldn't have known how bad his presidency would be, but i voted gore then. this election is way more important than that race.

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY. supposedly if you show your "i voted" sticker you can get a free taco from taco bell and a free coffee from starbucks.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
69767778 79 80818289129179 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth