Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I bought another sonic youth record and it sucked.. its just noise
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.26.2014, 01:34 AM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Wait, this flick was made around mid2000s.. murray street, sonic nurse, or rather ripped are NOT just noise

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2014, 07:57 AM   #2
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I always assumed she had purchased an SYR release.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2014, 09:39 AM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Possibly just a movie written by people 25 years out of the loop?

Old 09.26.2014, 12:30 PM   #4
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Possibly just a movie written by people 25 years out of the loop?

"I bought another sonic youth record and it sucked.. its just noise"

It's just the most used stereotypical generalized type of quote about sonic youth's music over the years, made by people that don't get it... that's fine I guess.

It just follows what the band had thought and said for years that a lot of people are aware of the band name and their influence but when it comes to the actual music it creates confusion and disinterest in many casual listeners. I forget who the director of this movie was, so I'm assuming they were a fan of the band or someone who was really close to director/writer. And they just wanted to let people know in this off the cuff hip way who sonic youth were...

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2014, 05:27 PM   #5
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
da fuck she knows? she had unprotected geeky sex with michael cera. maybe she thought he was sterile and just testing the waters.

hehe, wasn't jason batemans charactor a douche in this?
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2014, 05:34 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

True its a derisive comment so much so to be meaningless BUT that movie also played a sonic youth cover of a carpenter's song so clearly they had done at least some HW

Old 09.26.2014, 05:40 PM   #7
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
oh yea, but since the carpenters cover is on the soundtrack, maybe the director or producer really thinks SY is noise.

mmmm, dis a mystery. were they in cahoots together to make a slashing statement?
Old 09.26.2014, 06:05 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirttail
I thought the comment was tongue-in-cheek. Diablo Cody, the dubiously talented screenwriter, titled her follow-up film Jennifer's Body, after the Hole song, so clearly she's a fan of 90s alt rock. Juno briefly strums a bit of Doll Parts in the film too.

I would have totally had unprotected geeky sex with him in that film too, with those little legs & that girlish voice. Not anymore though; he looks like a kangaroo now.
Ive never understood nerd chic but if it gets ninjaz laid I aint hatin yo

Old 09.26.2014, 06:09 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

While somebody writing may have been a 90s fan surely they were only a "casual" fan of sonic youth because juno repeatedly professed to be a Stooges fan and I aint met a Stooges FAN yet who didnt listen to sonic youth

Old 09.26.2014, 06:37 PM   #10
foreverasskiss
Banned

michael cera's new album True Dat is good. like a more famous lou barlow/early sebadoh without muscles. or folky nerdy beck. you get the drift.
Old 09.28.2014, 05:54 PM   #11
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Let's hear it from Mr. Moore himself! You'll immediately notice that the question posed to him is inaccurate, but here we go anyway:

Quote:
PLEASE EXPLAIN: THURSTON MOORE

How do you feel about Sonic Youth's 1994 cover of the Carpenters' "Superstar" being called "just noise" in the film Juno?

Every once in a while, you'll be asked whether your music can be used in a movie. Invariably, we always ask, "What's the movie about?" Because you don't want it to be in some kind of grotesque film. I didn't even remember that they'd used the song until I was watching it with my daughter, then I was like, "Oh my god!" [Laughs] When Mark [Jason Bateman] tells Juno [Ellen Page], "Here's a Sonic Youth song, I think you'll really like this," and then he plays the song that's the least indicative of our music —us covering a Carpenters tune— it's such an odd choice. It's also funny that she would be into totally hardcore punk —Iggy, Patti Smith, the Runaways— and then quantify Sonic Youth as "just a bunch of noise." But I think she was just angry at the guy and trying to get back at him.
(Magnet magazine #79, Summer 2008)

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2014, 07:46 PM   #12
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
(Magnet magazine #79, Summer 2008)

Hmm, turns out I didn't have to type all of the above - shit's online these days. That damn Al Gore...

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2008/0...issed-by-juno/

Now, the following is downright OT, but digging through these "old" issues I came across an excellent (and, for the current oligophrenic 140-character standards, long) text by Kevin Shields on the making of Loveless (issue #74, Jan/Feb 2007):

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2007/0...cord-straight/

"We are 100 percent going to make another My Bloody Valentine record unless we DIE or something". Priceless!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2014, 10:37 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Thurston nailed the inconsistency of juno being a stooges fan and deriding sonic youth as noise

Old 10.05.2014, 05:40 PM   #14
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
Still don't like that cover

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2014, 05:53 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
Still don't like that cover

It was one of those "Sonic Youth had smoked themselves retarded" kind of ideas

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth