Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Where to buy records in London
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.16.2007, 06:15 AM   #101
sarramkrop

At least they should close the ones that are useless, like Cheapo Cheapo. In the future, robots will set up stalls in every London corner.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 06:17 AM   #102
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Robots selling the Mail on Sunday?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 06:42 AM   #103
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Robots selling the Mail on Sunday?

Probably the most depressing, dystopian vision of the future I have ever read.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 07:03 AM   #104
sarramkrop

In a way, robots have taken over London already. You just have to travel through the city every morning. It's like 'They Live' with people in suits and lattes in their hands.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2009, 08:01 PM   #105
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I walked into music exchange for the first time in aeons, last Friday, and their selection of noise/blah blah wasnt as poor as I remembered it. They have that US Girls cdr on Chocolate Monk, some Blues Control, several Dead C albums,a limited edition Circle cd, and various bits and bobs on vinyl too. Still not a big choice, but an improvement from previous selections.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2009, 09:59 PM   #106
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
For my money, Honest Jon's is the way to go if you're looking for vinyl of jazz, soul, classic rock, folk, anything like that (it's all new though so be aware that it won't be originals). When I was there I was totally knocked over by it. I'd been spending the last 2 days going to pretty much every famous London record store, and it killed ALL of them for the stuff I was looking for in terms of price, and had a fucking good selection. Like say, I picked up Ayler's 'Spiritual Unity' on red vinyl for £10, 2 Ornette Coleman vinyls for £8 each, and a couple of 4 Men With Beards Tim Buckley reissues for £12 quid each. Just stupidly good. I mean they had like ALL the recent deluxe Sun Ra reissue vinyls for £10-12 each, those Monk's reissues for £18 (I had paid £28 for my Black Monk Time), the Omar Souleyman vinyl for £22 or something like that (it being £34 in a lot of places). I have no idea how the shop exists.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2009, 10:25 PM   #107
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Damn, making this post spurred me to spend money I don't have on an order from them.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 12.21.2009, 01:49 PM   #108
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I walked into music exchange for the first time in aeons, last Friday, and their selection of noise/blah blah wasnt as poor as I remembered it. They have that US Girls cdr on Chocolate Monk, some Blues Control, several Dead C albums,a limited edition Circle cd, and various bits and bobs on vinyl too. Still not a big choice, but an improvement from previous selections.

where's that?
I think I spent about 150 pounds worth of CDs/vinyl on my England trip this month, mostly at Second Layer and Sounds of the Universe.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 04:43 PM   #109
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
For my money, Honest Jon's is the way to go if you're looking for vinyl of jazz, soul, classic rock, folk, anything like that (it's all new though so be aware that it won't be originals). When I was there I was totally knocked over by it. I'd been spending the last 2 days going to pretty much every famous London record store, and it killed ALL of them for the stuff I was looking for in terms of price, and had a fucking good selection. Like say, I picked up Ayler's 'Spiritual Unity' on red vinyl for £10, 2 Ornette Coleman vinyls for £8 each, and a couple of 4 Men With Beards Tim Buckley reissues for £12 quid each. Just stupidly good. I mean they had like ALL the recent deluxe Sun Ra reissue vinyls for £10-12 each, those Monk's reissues for £18 (I had paid £28 for my Black Monk Time), the Omar Souleyman vinyl for £22 or something like that (it being £34 in a lot of places). I have no idea how the shop exists.

it's worth mentioning that they released the reissue of light of saba, which is one of the best albums ever made.
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 04:55 PM   #110
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
where's that?
I think I spent about 150 pounds worth of CDs/vinyl on my England trip this month, mostly at Second Layer and Sounds of the Universe.
The one on Berwick Street.
Old 12.21.2009, 06:33 PM   #111
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Has that shop changed its name again?

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 06:34 PM   #112
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
There was always a big HMV on Oxford Street. Probably the best place to start.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 06:38 PM   #113
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Sterns is good for world music. They get a lot of internet trade from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2009, 09:57 AM   #114
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The one on Berwick Street.

Odd, I thought I went in there but maybe it was another shop then... or maybe I missed that section because I left within a couple of minutes. It was a shop that had the word "exchange" in the name anyway, but I don't think they had CDs....mainly Dance and 80's pop LPs.
If you walk from Oxford St then the shop I went into is pretty far down the street on the right hand side.
Old 12.26.2009, 04:59 AM   #115
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Are we talking bout the one close to somerfield, next to the shop that sells badges, earrings etc? The cds are stocked immediatly when you enter on the right, very difficult not to spot.
Old 12.26.2009, 07:47 AM   #116
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

No idea, on average I'm only in London about once a year or so.

But it must've been a different shop then, because if they are easy to
spot I wouldn't have missed them.
Old 12.26.2009, 08:49 AM   #117
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
it's worth mentioning that they released the reissue of light of saba, which is one of the best albums ever made.

Oh also, that their delivery is good. I ordered something on Sunday night with no expectation of arriving by Christmas and it was here by Wednesday.
Old 03.16.2010, 02:42 PM   #118
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I was in Second Layer today, christ if i were a millionaire id be down there every weekend (Plus id also move to Highgate which is the nicest area ever).

I did a quick calculation of all the stuff i found that i would definitely get if £££s werent an issue and it came to about £250. Theres nothing quite so sad as finding something thats £12.99 and thinking "yeah id probably get it if it were £9.99 but i just cant stretch that far"
Still, lovely place.

Old 03.16.2010, 05:03 PM   #119
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Probably the most depressing, dystopian vision of the future I have ever read.

Drown yourself in the Thames then. One less sanctimonious, scatterbrained, garrulous Guardian reader for us to make the effort of ignoring.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2010, 05:14 PM   #120
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

I didnt search for this thread for you to start trolling. Now agree with everything i say or go away.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth