Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page First 5 albums you owned/listened to and how old you were at the time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2008, 06:14 PM   #141
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I remember Tumbleweed too. Interesting seeing them mentioned here.

Awesome, I had no idea they were known outside of the Australian local scene, just out of curiosity where did you hear about them?
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 06:22 PM   #142
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
personally, i cannot relate to dissing a whole genre of music. have had (like Kina said) my pop dissing periods when i was young, but mostly regarding specific artists. some i started to like when MATURED (<-- irony), some i still dont like like whitney houston, or mariah carrey -although i loved some remixes i heared and that made me change a bit my mind on her.
its different when you grow up along with pop music of your time. easier to like some songs, but the opposite takes place too. for example i hated pump up the volume when it was a hit, after some time passed by, i loved it.
glice asked about embarrassing. i remember yesterday that had got a reo speedwagon record. but as have stated many times here, i dont related to embarrassing or guilty pleasures. i relate to feeling guilty for not exploring world music for example.
you can have music you like and enjoy and music that does all that along with fullfiling you. i dont see any problem with that. on the contrary.
i happy that can play daft punk and digitalism or my other love depeche mode. but ok, i dont buy or listen to contemporary pop. it doesnt mean that i cant enjoy it when its played around me.
the 5 first records dont feel them as representing much, for me at least. nor genetics played a role for obssesed love for music in my case (or my brother's, even if he listens to whole different kind of music). my parents were listening to music, classical, disco and they taught me of beatles for example, but i dont think they were ever obssesed with music.
backround..am not sure. it helps i guess, it can be limiting too. i was listening to whole different bands that really loved at the time and when i first listened to telescopes-taste and then to sonic youth, i thought that this is the sounds i was always looking for. been having that feeling a lot past years and am happy for this.
sorry that this was long, and repetative. plus hate when phonecalls interrupt me. i lose track of what wanted to say.
i think limiting yourself and being absolute, you are missing things in music, in life in general.

ps! the only time i felt "guilty" was when i read that jim o' rourke hated "the the". havent yet fully overcome this, but i ll live.

you are right. (i always hated the term noise)

There's some stuff from the 80s that I would have just considered as normal and wouldn't have thought was fun at the time but when they play now has '80s groovy' & funny appeal to me when I hear it played somewhere, like MC Hammer or something, just cause it's something that brings back memories of the decade and because that style isn't done anymore now but it was seen as really funky back then. But yeah Mariah Carey will never have that appeal!
Old 01.04.2008, 06:26 PM   #143
Kina
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
kids these days have it soo easy... my first albums were probably these....

age about 5 or 6

i was too young to actually get the john foxx era

sorry, still a classic!

Boney M! My parents had a tape of theirs and played it the whole time on a car trip to Switzerland from Croatia and back when I was 4! It still brings me nightmares just in a 'had to listen to it for days on end' kind of thing!

And Duran Duran are great!
Old 01.05.2008, 05:16 AM   #144
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
The first album i've bought with my money (oh well, with my mother's money) was a Michael Jackson bootleg cassette. It was some kind of bootleg single with xeroxed covers and typewrittered fictional tracklist. In fact it was just one song repeated for 30 minutes on one side and another repetead for 30 minutes on second side. I remember i was very dissapointed.

The second one was a bootleg copy cassette of Queen's Innuendo which i've bought as a replacement of Dr. Alban's Look Who's Talking which i've never found (Thank God ). I still have the cover from this cassette. It was a RACKS blank (a very common cassette brand name those days in my country), with hand-written songs (how could i have payed for something like that :| )

The next one i remember (i still have it) was Megadeth's Countdown To Extinction. It was some kind of x-mas present. Some relative (my aunt as far as i remember) gave me and my brother money to buy some cassettes from the local store as a x-mas gift. I bought Megadeth's album (cause i liked the cover) and my brother bought Metallica's Black Album (which by the way, had a red cover, with a metallica picture glued on it)

After that, because i really liked Metallica's album and i couldn't find any other Megadeath album i've bought Metallica's ...And Justice For All (which i've enjoyed for a long time). Sadly i don't have the cassette no more...

In 1994 my father taped for me Nirvana's Unplugged performance, at the end of a Basic Instinct VHS tape. I still have the VHS, but my VHS player gone in flames and i haven't replaced it. After that i've bought Nirvana's In Utero on cassette which i've recorded Nevermind over, cause my father bought me from Tokyo other more good-looking version.
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 07:32 AM   #145
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i still say, you kids have it too easy these days!!!
Old 01.06.2008, 08:36 AM   #146
UVRAY
bad moon rising

UVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's asses
I previously owned albums but the first 5 albums I saved up for and bought with my own money began when I was 12 in 1979:

The very first I bought was Parallel Lines by Blondie.

And then:

The Pleasure Principle - Gary Numan.

Kings Of The Wild Frontier - Adam & The Ants.

Destroyer - Kiss.

Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars - David Bowie.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

UVRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 08:24 AM   #147
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I was probably 13 when I bought Jacques Dutronc's Double Disque d'Or in a supermarket, for I had liked his scopitones on television. A double album was attractive cause it contained more music. So there.

Next one was another compilation, by the Kinks, titled Collection, with a wonderful cover.

Then I dived into music that had been recorded less than 15 years before my buying the record, and got that Duran Duran record portrayed above, plus Seven & the Ragged Tiger - which I couldn't listened to these days.

After those, it's quite blurred, my guess is some Nina Hagen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
So do you think our first five albums were formative somehow, shaping what we'd like to listen to, collect the rest of our lives? Any theories? Environment? Genetics? A combination of both?

I've regularly got back to the Kinks.
Mostly when my later records began sounding disappointing.
Then I try to move on to things related to the Davies brothers - artists who would have covered a few of their songs, leading me to British garage rock, and expanding from there (the way I expanded my love for Sonic Youth buyig Dino Jr, Pussy Galore and so on... til the mid 90s).
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 08:51 AM   #148
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i still say, you kids have it too easy these days!!!

That's more than right, my man. I remember my older brother copying smuggled Depeche mode LPs from Germany (it was still communism here in the 80s!) over and over all around the city, so that the 1000th copy got almost inaudible.

Now it's all just click and order it/download it. No passion involved.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 10:12 AM   #149
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the 6th album I bougth was KISS's DESTROYER

man I was into kiss when I was pre-teen
Old 01.07.2008, 12:37 PM   #150
UVRAY
bad moon rising

UVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's asses
>> I was probably 13 when I bought Jacques Dutronc's Double Disque d'Or <<

Very underrated French pop artist.

Pleased and surprised to see him mentioned. His Et Moi Et Moi Et Moi single remains a 60's classic.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

UVRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 11:47 PM   #151
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
green day- dookie
offspring- smash
rancid- lets go
pennywise- about time
fugazi- repeater

i bought those five around the same time in 1995 (i was 13). i hated music until i heard green day a few months beforehand. i still have dookie but i never listen to it and fugazi turned out to be one of my favorite bands.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2008, 01:06 AM   #152
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei
The next one i remember (i still have it) was Megadeth's Countdown To Extinction. It was some kind of x-mas present. Some relative (my aunt as far as i remember) gave me and my brother money to buy some cassettes from the local store as a x-mas gift. I bought Megadeth's album (cause i liked the cover) and my brother bought Metallica's Black Album (which by the way, had a red cover, with a metallica picture glued on it)

my black album tape was purple-ish and had a snake drawn over and some bold rub-on letters spelling "metallica", both in bright white.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 09:49 AM   #153
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
....i hated music until i heard green day a few months beforehand......

most people love music until they hear green day!
Old 01.11.2008, 02:06 PM   #154
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
most people love music until they hear green day!

well i hated it until the age of 12/13. i did love nintendo music though. kids would ask what kind of music i liked and i would only say mario brothers.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2008, 05:42 AM   #155
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

man, u should check out dj scotch egg then....

SCOTCH WEB

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth