Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Interstellar Overdrive
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.08.2007, 11:37 PM   #21
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Very cool compilation.....thanks!!!

No to defend my boy, Nick Mason!!! I think the first half of the first song (Astronomy Domine) on the first Pink Floyd album is more than enough to prove wrong that he is a bad drummer.....let alone the worst drummer ever! Sure, he doesn't have anything on Keith Moon, John Bonham, Ginger Baker etc., but his classic tom fills (dat, boom, dat, boom, boom-boom, boom-boom....you know the ones!) are great. He is much more concerned with playing trance like (and at times borderline tribal....like on Set The Controls For the Heart of the Sun) rhythmns on the skins than filling up space with a bunch of cymbals....which I love. Much of the time Nick is just keeping the light "dream like" pulse of their songs....it's not like Pink Floyd (as a whole) really rock. He did his job! His fills which might come off as "repetitive" (like on the first track of Atom Heart) work well with creating the overall ambiance/pulse of the song.....plus said fills are actually not bad at all. Finally, their music is a bit different to most "rock bands" that would warrant a more blatantly awesome drummer.

It's funny how Blatherskite mentioned how Live at Pompeii as a reference to Nick's crappy playing......I was going to suggest watching it to check out his awesomeness. Maybe give it another try.....I might be a bit partial though as a drummer and by how much his playing has influenced me over the years. Also, Atom Heart is prob. the worst album to look at Nick's drumming on....it's mostly just weird sound collages or slow quite dreamy songs where an abundance of drums would really fuck up the song. Quite a few Floyd songs don't have much drums on it or the rythmns are very quiet/dream like, but that's because they are what fit the song. I don't think that should take away from his drumming on other songs (with more obvious skillfull playing)which are actually really great. It's not like he just played the same 1-2-1-2-1-2 Chuck Berry beat (which rules and is the foundation of not only rock drumming, but the pulse of rock music really) on those Floyd songs.

.....which leads us nicely to RINGO!!! Again, sure he didn't really do anything to really blow anybody away, but how he played fit The Beatles music perfectly. Having a Keith Moon type (or any like drummer that displays more "technical/difficult" skills) drummer in The Beatles just wouldn't work......especially post-Help era Beatles. I mean, would we say that Charlie Watts was a bad drummer? Hell no!!! We also need to remember that drummers like Ringo and Charlie Watts were some of the o.g.'s of what we consider to be modern rock drumming. Their styles (which were quite a bit more heavier and "erratic" on the floor toms and cymbals than the drumming on "Chuck Berry era rock n' roll") were really expanded by the next influx of drummers/bands.....the music got heavier and the drums got more complex.

That said, I'm pretty sure that John said, "Pete Best was a better drummer, but Ringo was a better Beatle."
Old 04.21.2007, 08:12 PM   #22
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Bump.

This compilation is pretty damn awesome. If you haven´t downloaded it yet, what are you waiting for?

Thanks again, atari!

Thanks. Anyone interested in a "Stairway to Heaven" compilation?

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2007, 08:22 PM   #23
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite
Oh, and let's not forget that Gilmour actually had to show him how to play drums on "Money." That's right, the 7/4 time pattern confused him. You heard me correctly on that. A drummer. Confused by rhythm.

I do believe he's not playing drums on Mother, from the Wall, as well because of the rythm.

On the other hand I agree that his more "tribal" beats are a better indication of his abilities - like some of the stuff on the More soundtrack such as Up the Khyber, among others. But again, it's all in 4/4
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2007, 03:29 AM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
great. i love piper, fantastic album and in fact the only flod album i own or care to own. interstellar is a fantastic journey!!! nice one atari!
Old 04.23.2007, 06:17 AM   #25
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
absolutely amazing expamsion of an already expanded tune... this vies for the best atari comp so far.... the goo picks included!!!!!! excellent work again, cant believe so few are grabbing this.....
Old 04.23.2007, 06:27 AM   #26
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Thanks. Anyone interested in a "Stairway to Heaven" compilation?
A "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" compilation would be much appreciated, if you're looking for requests.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2007, 06:29 AM   #27
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

man im awaiting ataris ultimate beatles compilation!!!!!
Old 04.30.2007, 08:47 AM   #28
sarramkrop

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/syd_barrett/news/9748
A rare Pink Floyd promo video for "Jughead Blues" is to be screened on TV for the first time, as part of a new BBC documentary series "The Seven Ages Of Rock."

The promo video was made by the Central Office of Information (COI) primarily for North American, Canadian and Australian television and is made up of small shorts including talking computors and see-through teapots.

"Jughead Blues" was the final video that Syd Barrett was included in before he was replaced by Roger Waters.

The new series will also feature a multitude of rare and never-seen-before film footage, including the first known broadcast of an alternate promo for the Floyd single "Arnold Layne" as well as home-made film footage of the band in 1967.

Previously unknown to Pink Floyd collectors, there is also a clip of the first film in colour of the band with David Gilmour.

The Floyd material will be part of episode two, a special on art rock - entitled "Between Rock And An Art Place."

Other rarities that "The Seven Ages Of Rock" have unearthed include a first broadcast of the Velvet Underground performing at the Annual Dinner of the New York Society for Clinical Psychiatry on January 13, 1966.

There will also be swathes of never-seen-before clips of David Bowie, including his show at the Rainbow Theatre on August 19 1972 and a perfomance of "Space Oddity" at the Ivor Novello Awards in May 1970. Both are being broadcast for the first time.

You can watch "The Seven Ages Of Rock" from Saturday May 19 on BBC2 at 9pm.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 08:52 AM   #29
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Cool. You guys are getting a good doc series...I wonder if I'll be able to download or watch it somewhere or if it will run on bbc america later.
(i'm sure they meant dave gilmour and not waters).
Old 04.30.2007, 08:53 AM   #30
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett
Barrett did not contribute any material to the band after A Saucerful of Secrets was released in 1968. Of the songs he wrote for Pink Floyd after Piper, only one ("Jugband Blues") made it to the band's second album...
"Jugband Blues", is often seen by Pink Floyd fans as Barrett's admission that his days in Pink Floyd were probably numbered ("It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/And I'm most obliged to you for m-making it clear/that I'm not here", the song opens). In March 1968 it was officially announced that he was no longer a member of Pink Floyd.

Old 04.30.2007, 08:54 AM   #31
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
There are many stories about Barrett's bizarre and intermittently psychotic behavior — many of which are undoubtedly apocryphal, although some are known to be true. According to Roger Waters, Barrett came into what was to be their last practice session with a new song he had dubbed "Have You Got It, Yet?" The song seemed simple enough when he first presented it to his bandmates, but it soon became impossibly difficult to learn: as they were practising it, Barrett kept changing the arrangement.
He would then play it again, with the arbitrary changes, and sing "Have you got it yet?" After more than an hour of trying to "get it", they realised they never would and that they were simply bearing the brunt of Barrett's rather obtuse sense of humour.

Old 04.30.2007, 09:03 AM   #32
sarramkrop

There was an interesting article about his life in Cambridge post-Pink Floyd on the uncut magazine, last year. Atari, you must get the book 'Songs They Never Play On The Radio' about Nico. It's a must-read book.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth