Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What exactly IS the avant-garde?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.28.2007, 11:43 PM   #101
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
by the way, have you read don de lillo's "white noise"? a brilliant book, thought some of it might come across as a bit dated. the main character however is as current as ever -- a professor of hitler studies who can't read german.
Yeah, White Noise was pretty good. I've been meaning to check out some other Delillo. Any suggestions?

I wrote my final paper in one of my college classes (Contemporary American Literature) about how his kids were the only ones truly aware of what the fuck was REALLY going on and how easily adults are bombarded/influenced by the world and how this effects their actions because of fear about how they will be perceived by others ect.......I think. It's been awhile.

In terms of Roth, I've only read The Human Stain which had a pretty interesting concept.
Old 11.29.2007, 12:02 AM   #102
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
....sorry, wasn't trying to be snide with that image.... just posting the literal definition while i deleted all the semiotics and general goofiness from this deleuze quote.... it took a while....

The rhizome itself assumes very diverse forms, from ramified surface extension in all directions to concretion into bulbs and tubers. ... We get the distinct feeling that we will convince no one unless we enumerate certain approximate characteristics of the rhizome. ...

1 and 2. Principles of connection and heterogeneity: any point of a rhizome can be connected to anything other, and must be. This is very different from the tree or root, which plots a point, fixes an order. ...

3. Principle of multiplicity: ... Multiplicities are rhizomatic, and expose arborescent pseudomultiplicities for what they are. ... There are no points or positions in a rhizome, such as those found in a structure, tree, or root. There are only lines. ... The point is that a rhizome or multiplicity never allows itself to be overcoded, never has available a supplementary dimension over and above its number of lines, that is, over and above the multiplicity of numbers attached to those lines. ...

4. Principle of asignfying rupture: ... A rhizome may be broken, shattered at a given spot, but it will start up again on one of its old lines, or on new lines. You can never get rid of ants because they form an animal rhizome that can rebound time and again after most of it has been destroyed. ...

5 and 6. Principle of cartography and decalcomania: a rhizome is not amenable to any structural or generative model. It is a stranger to any idea of genetic axis or deep structure. ...

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2007, 12:55 AM   #103
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
....sorry, wasn't trying to be snide with that image.... just posting the literal definition while i deleted all the semiotics and general goofiness from this deleuze quote.... it took a while....

The rhizome itself assumes very diverse forms, from ramified surface extension in all directions to concretion into bulbs and tubers. ... We get the distinct feeling that we will convince no one unless we enumerate certain approximate characteristics of the rhizome.

1 and 2. Principles of connection and heterogeneity: any point of a rhizome can be connected to anything other, and must be. This is very different from the tree or root, which plots a point, fixes an order.

3. Principle of multiplicity: ... Multiplicities are rhizomatic, and expose arborescent pseudomultiplicities for what they are. ... There are no points or positions in a rhizome, such as those found in a structure, tree, or root. There are only lines. ... The point is that a rhizome or multiplicity never allows itself to be overcoded, never has available a supplementary dimension over and above its number of lines, that is, over and above the multiplicity of numbers attached to those lines.

4. Principle of asignfying rupture: ... A rhizome may be broken, shattered at a given spot, but it will start up again on one of its old lines, or on new lines. You can never get rid of ants because they form an animal rhizome that can rebound time and again after most of it has been destroyed.

5 and 6. Principle of cartography and decalcomania: a rhizome is not amenable to any structural or generative model. It is a stranger to any idea of genetic axis or deep structure.

yes but

WHAT IS IT?

what i'll venture to say without using the term as a part of the definition is that a rhizome is an epistemological model meant to supersede the discrete objects of aristotelian logic (and newtonian mechanics?) by which we ordinarily operate. in a way it's sort of an heraclitean model.

in other words, look at the world as this shit in constant flux where instead of objects you have temporary "blocks" that are forming/reforming/reconnecting from all kinds of directions & flowing out of/into others. then give it a pompous french name & write obscurely about it.

alternatively you could read this wankery:

http://www.ensemble.va.com.au/enslog.../smn_lct08.htm

where the fucka writes:
Yet as Baudrillard states in Simulation and Simulacra it is "the cartographer's mad project of the ideal coextensivity of map and territory," (Baudrillard, 1994, p.2) with all of my intention as a transdisciplanary "cartographer."

see this is what i hate; that idea of the map & the territory is from a story by borges. but borges is so much more fun-- and you can understand him! but read that and tell me-- at the end, do you know wtf is the rhizome? la la lala.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2007, 01:06 AM   #104
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Rhizome is. You have to see it for yourself.

....actually the simplest explanation i can think of is

rhizome = decentralized network.

Old 11.29.2007, 01:12 AM   #105
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
see? a whole book? for that?

--
ha ha ha ha ok
don't take me (too) seriously
im just pestering you here
Old 11.29.2007, 01:45 AM   #106
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
see? a whole book? for that?

--
ha ha ha ha ok
don't take me (too) seriously
im just pestering you here

book? pshaw.

when the paperback edition weighs 3 pounds and has a 230 page user guide sold separately... it is a tome, my friend. a tome.

Old 11.29.2007, 01:46 AM   #107
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
book? pshaw.

when the paperback edition weighs 3 pounds and has a 230 page user guide sold separately... it is a tome, my friend. a tome.

well it's 2 if you count the anti-oedipus

gross.

no i mean, i want to read them. some day. when i need to do penance for something.
Old 11.29.2007, 01:51 AM   #108
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
Yeah, White Noise was pretty good. I've been meaning to check out some other Delillo. Any suggestions?

I wrote my final paper in one of my college classes (Contemporary American Literature) about how his kids were the only ones truly aware of what the fuck was REALLY going on and how easily adults are bombarded/influenced by the world and how this effects their actions because of fear about how they will be perceived by others ect.......I think. It's been awhile.

In terms of Roth, I've only read The Human Stain which had a pretty interesting concept.

damn, white noise is all of his i've read. i came across a baseball book but im not really into that so i was turned off, perhaps stupidly so.

i'm gonna check out mao II as demonrail said.

from philip roth, i own portnoy's complaint but it has always bored me. maybe it was great in the 70s, i dont know. i can't try again. maybe i will.

however, a story-- one day i was hanging out @ the local bookstore (in dc) and i started reading "the dying animal". i was completely engrossed in it but i could only read 1/2 because i had to go. didnt buy it as it had only come out in hardcover and it was something like 26 bucks that i didnt have at the time. anyway, i need to read that, i did enjoy it, philip roth in the antechamber of death, obsessed with old age and the big crunch creeping up on him. i say check it out.
Old 11.29.2007, 02:25 AM   #109
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
the concept of a noise bomb is pretty avant garde. i don't know exactly how it would work or where i heard about it, though. i can't think of a device that could emit so many decibels that it would actually serve as a functional, destructive bomb without self destructing.
Old 11.29.2007, 07:22 AM   #110
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

Old 11.29.2007, 02:13 PM   #111
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the rhizome outlines. I do believe that a massive part of the problem is translation, given that Deleuze, like Barthes, Derrida and Lacan, is a literary stylist as much as he is a philosopher or 'theorist'. Indeed, part of the problem with the way in which such figures are absorbed into the academy is that they're taken so literally, when it's their overall attitude that is the really interesting thing about them. It's not what they say but the way that they say it. - which, ultimately, is exactly what they are saying.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2007, 06:57 PM   #112
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Thanks for the rhizome outlines. I do believe that a massive part of the problem is translation, given that Deleuze, like Barthes, Derrida and Lacan, is a literary stylist as much as he is a philosopher or 'theorist'. Indeed, part of the problem with the way in which such figures are absorbed into the academy is that they're taken so literally, when it's their overall attitude that is the really interesting thing about them. It's not what they say but the way that they say it. - which, ultimately, is exactly what they are saying.

no academic these days has time to read and digest a book that would take months to read. but everyone must look as if they had actually done it.

anyway,

WHAT IS A RHIZOME?

an excuse to babble and free-associate in one's analysis

as if for example yesterday a cow had died in india and little children threw flowers at its corpse

vagina dentata

i do stare at the computer screen and am reminded of wittgenstein: and i was looking for this quote by him which goes something like "death is there where the eyes [something] in a blue sky", but i didn't find it, but i didn't find it. i found this instead:

Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language

stupid tv.

holy shit. i have become rhizomatic. no. i'm just joking.
Old 11.29.2007, 07:34 PM   #113
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
avant-garde = some next level shit.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2007, 07:52 PM   #114
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
avant-garde = some next level shit.
you sound like you're being cryptoed.

all ok?

Old 11.29.2007, 07:55 PM   #115
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i guess you haven't realized that the two of us are a trifecta of baller.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2007, 10:24 PM   #116
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i guess you haven't realized that the two of us are a trifecta of baller.

i hear bro rape. and a threesome.
Old 01.13.2008, 12:25 AM   #117
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

Old 01.14.2008, 02:35 PM   #118
foxforce5
bad moon rising

foxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's asses
Avant-garde has something to do with hypens, italics and quotation marks
foxforce5 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 03:07 PM   #119
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxforce5
Avant-garde has something to do with hypens, italics and quotation marks

"Does it - really?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 10:05 PM   #120
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth