Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How retro are you?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2006, 10:27 PM   #41
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Dues has made completely valid and very intelligent points, I think he's trying to reach a point where it can be said that we have judge something on its merits alone, instead of on a socially-imposed cultural order; whereby if something has survived that long, it therefore must have value.

That said, I own a 5th-Generation iPod(that's the latest video-playing one, for you luddites), but no handphone at all. I have a laptop(my primary communication and tasking device), but no DVD player.

I'm a contradiction in terms; a retro-future kind of guy, maybe I just don't see why there has to be a factor of 'futureness' or 'retro' in the decision making process. Sure LPs are definitely always going to sound more accurate and crisp than mp3s; but that's definitely not because it was built in the beginning of the 20th century. That is due to the techniques involved in producing the vinyl, the method of reproduction of the audio itself, the material used in vinyl, etc.

You cannot immediately discount the value or worth of anything new; as much as you should not immediately assign value to something that has been in existence for a long period of time. The cultural climate and values system has definitely changed as we go along, but we have to determine an object on its merits, instead of the cultural era it was produced in. Thank you, if you read this.
Old 06.21.2006, 10:29 PM   #42
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Are LPs really that much better. I want to get a record player and I want to buy some LPs but I can't affor it right now. I still find it hard to imagine it being that much better, but I've only heard CDs and mp3s my whole life.
Old 06.21.2006, 10:34 PM   #43
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Read this: LP vs. CD
Old 06.21.2006, 10:50 PM   #44
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
The type in that link is fucking tiny.

I'm very little, if any at all, retro.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 11:04 PM   #45
alyasa
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
The type on that link is fucking tiny.
Internet Explorer --> Go to View menu, select Text Size, choose size according to taste.

Mozilla Firefox --> Go to View menu, slelect Text Size, Increase to taste.
Old 06.22.2006, 02:31 AM   #46
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
C'mon, let's stop talking about how fucking great and retro we are when we are all typing on a fucking computer, sending messages down a fucking cable across the world in an instant of a cunting second.

Sure, some old things are better but some are shit. It gets on my tits when people hang on to an old technology just because it's 'retro' and therefore gives them some sort of hip cred. Sure vinyl is better than cd in many ways but 8 tracks and cassettes are shit really aren't they? If that's all you have then fine, but why suffer cassettes just because it's retro or for the nostalgia. Sure I have nice memories of tapes but not enough to bother fixing my tape player or actually buying a new one. OK, rant over...
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 04:22 AM   #47
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
C'mon, let's stop talking about how fucking great and retro we are when we are all typing on a fucking computer, sending messages down a fucking cable across the world in an instant of a cunting second.

Sure, some old things are better but some are shit. It gets on my tits when people hang on to an old technology just because it's 'retro' and therefore gives them some sort of hip cred. Sure vinyl is better than cd in many ways but 8 tracks and cassettes are shit really aren't they? If that's all you have then fine, but why suffer cassettes just because it's retro or for the nostalgia. Sure I have nice memories of tapes but not enough to bother fixing my tape player or actually buying a new one. OK, rant over...

All true things. I still listen to tapes though, because I'm too lazy to get an ipod. And I still have lots and lots of tapes.

Oh, and I live in a cave, I make my own butter, and I think the bicycle is futuristic technology. Do I win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 04:35 AM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Read this: LP vs. CD

This is a timely reminder of why I need a job, because I will turn into the sort of person who is quite happy to argue about vinyl vs CD, which is sick, wrong and just a little bit gay. Bad gay, you understand.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.22.2006, 04:42 AM   #49
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
tech savvy geek..
retro touches..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 04:43 AM   #50
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
tech savvy geek..
retro touches..

Sounds like the opening to a Seething Wells poem...

Tech savvy geek...
Retro touches...
A new ipod...
And rabbit hutches...

Actually that's more John Cooper Clarke
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 06:47 AM   #51
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i hate those second hand hipster shops that sell things from the 70's and 80's for £££'s just so some cockmuncher can pose and try and look cool in an overpriced bar.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 06:54 AM   #52
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i hate those second hand hipster shops that sell things from the 70's and 80's for £££'s just so some cockmuncher can pose and try and look cool in an overpriced bar.

I like those people. They think I'm dressed well. Actually, I shop in charity shops and refuse to spend upwards of £7 on an item of clothing.

Do you remember when there was a bit of a camo/ army chic thing going on over here? They were selling army surplus jackets for £70+ in the high street, while the exact same jacket (I mean, literally, the EXACT same jacket) was going for £3 in the Army Surplus store. I like being briefly trendy for being such a cheap bastard.

Quote:
Old 06.22.2006, 06:56 AM   #53
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I think they should do retro chocolate bars...the same only BIGGER.

Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 06:58 AM   #54
Glice
invito al cielo

An almighty jaffa cake is what you want.

Pimp that snack, motherfugger

Quote:
Old 06.22.2006, 07:04 AM   #55
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Same thing with torn jeans in the states...I mean you walk into the mall and there they are, jeans with holes and tears, deliberately "worn out" for fashion sake. The REAL kicker is when you look at the tag they are still 60-90$. Amazing. If you are gonna be like that, then go to the thrift store and buy a used pair of jeans for 3$ and tear the fukairs all you want. Trend is meaningless, yet it makes the world go round, and for my complete inability to stop it, I salute you oh mighty and overpriced trend,Lord of the suburbs and reverred one of the shopping mall. Go about your business of peer pressure and stir the tar pit of consumerism.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 07:09 AM   #56
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I've never followed fashion as such but sometimes i just fitted in with whatever was going on at that time.Charity shops are great because i love junk of any sort and at one point i was buyng so much of it that my little bedsit at that time looked like a messy museum.These days i just dress randomly and in the dark.I do like it when people dress smartly though.My favourite Charity shop used to be on the Northern road in Fulham and it was for 'Help the aged'.The stuff you found in there wa so fascinating.I'm also ineterested in the fact that,depending on what area of London you go to,when you rummage through the records bins they kind of reflect the community that live in there.Fulham,for instance,has plenty house and mid-to late 90's indie with your obligatory rack made up of classical records,panpipe music and similar.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 07:13 AM   #57
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Same thing with torn jeans in the states...I mean you walk into the mall and there they are, jeans with holes and tears, deliberately "worn out" for fashion sake. The REAL kicker is when you look at the tag they are still 60-90$. Amazing. If you are gonna be like that, then go to the thrift store and buy a used pair of jeans for 3$ and tear the fukairs all you want. Trend is meaningless, yet it makes the world go round, and for my complete inability to stop it, I salute you oh mighty and overpriced trend,Lord of the suburbs and reverred one of the shopping mall. Go about your business of peer pressure and stir the tar pit of consumerism.

Those torn jeans are so 80's. What makes them even worse is when they're stone washed too. They truely suck.
Old 06.22.2006, 07:15 AM   #58
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
this is how retro i am.
i still get kicks from this....

flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 08:37 AM   #59
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I'm not retro, I'm vintage. The difference is Retro is someone who lives in the past because they don't know anything about what's currently going on. Vintage is preffering the past over what's currently going on.

yeah. That's what I mean, then. I'm vintage.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 08:43 AM   #60
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Are LPs really that much better. I want to get a record player and I want to buy some LPs but I can't affor it right now. I still find it hard to imagine it being that much better, but I've only heard CDs and mp3s my whole life.

It depends on what you want. I sometimes prefer the sonic perfection of a CD. I other times like LPs for better representation of the art work. These days new releases and remastered reissues sound very close, to my ears, in both formats (aside from the usual minor surface noise and occassional pop or click you get w/ viny)l.

And it depends on what you're used to. I grew up collecting LPs. Because I cut my teeth on LPs, CDs to me seemed sort of like a yuppified version of 8-tracks. Too small, too reductive, too techy. Plus a new vinyl LP just SMELLS so great. Go ahead, try it, take a big whiff of that thing just out of the shrink wrap and tell me it doesn't send a thrill.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth