Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VII
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.27.2018, 08:55 AM   #841
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Whatever yourself.

Interesting and unique production is all over the place. Example: Downloaded and sifted through Billboard Top 100 songs of 2018. There were a ton of sounds I hadn't heard before. But about 96 of the actual songs ultimately sucked.

Ear candy is just that: nice in the moment, but unsubstantial and eventually forgettable if it's not in support of something meatier.

Not talking about ear candy either.

Hip-hip has more interesting and novel sounds going on than rock does. You’re more likely to hear something totally bizarre and off the wall. That’s why I prefer it to rock right now.

Better example:
Even when dealing with the crappiest stuff, like the billboard charts, the hip-hop charts are more likely to feature some crazy and interesting sounds than the Rock radio charts.

Astroworld is just infinitely better than Greta Van Fleet’s crap ass new album or whatever. Just infinitely.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2018, 09:05 AM   #842
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
We can probably agree a blend of interesting production and solid composition skills are ideal.

I guess it's just that if I put more stock in the latter. You prefer the former. If you had to choose.

I'm thinking that's what's going on.

There are some rote chord progressions I cannot stand to hear. My ears shut down. Maybe you feel the same about the tone of a strat through a Delux Reverb or whatever.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2018, 06:09 PM   #843
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Cool.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and I think "innovation" is music is often bullshit. The topic deserves its own thread tho.

I thought about it some more.. I think I like music that mixes calmness with a sense of danger and realism.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2018, 06:36 PM   #844
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I like the seriousness. I like the elaborate storytelling and imagery, and how the lyrics are delivered in an easily digested, accessible way.

I used to be huge into emo.. the quiet to loud dynamics blew me away at the time. But now the last thing I wanna hear is someone yelling off the top of his lungs about heartbreak.

Songs about a woman who has done you wrong or unrequited love are the last thing I wanna hear now in general.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2018, 07:22 PM   #845
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
We can probably agree a blend of interesting production and solid composition skills are ideal.

I guess it's just that if I put more stock in the latter. You prefer the former. If you had to choose.

I'm thinking that's what's going on.

There are some rote chord progressions I cannot stand to hear. My ears shut down. Maybe you feel the same about the tone of a strat through a Delux Reverb or whatever.

No, I love guitars. I’ve played guitar — MANY of them, actually — for 25 years. I love Febders more than anything.

I love hip-hop that successfully incorporates guitars or guitar tones without sounding corny (See: “Gorgeous”).

I just don’t hear much guitar/bass/drum music that excites me anymore, but the stuff that always has still does.

“Negative Creep” kicked into my head in the store about an hour ago and I felt it in my fucking medulla oblongata.

But not a lot of the music coming out now that excites me is the product of guitar/bass/drum.

I do love production, but without good composition it’s really just frosting. BUT... the production CAN be SO good that a song that barely contains any proper elements still fucking electrified me (turning again to Kanye, see “FADE,” a song that is basically nothing but production.. and still goddamn annihilates).

So I’m not sure where I’m going with this, but FOR THE MOMENT, and for the last several years, I have been more enthralled by compositions based on non-organic instrumentation, rapping, vocal effects, beats, electronic shit and, yeah, production, than I have by any new guitar/bass/drum compositions that have come out recently.

*shrug*
Old 12.28.2018, 07:31 PM   #846
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I like the seriousness. I like the elaborate storytelling and imagery, and how the lyrics are delivered in an easily digested, accessible way.

I used to be huge into emo.. the quiet to loud dynamics blew me away at the time. But now the last thing I wanna hear is someone yelling off the top of his lungs about heartbreak.

Songs about a woman who has done you wrong or unrequited love are the last thing I wanna hear now in general.

This too.

I’m done with that period of my life where I like songs because they remind me of or bring back the feeling of longing/pining/being fucked over by some girl I thought I loved when I was young and stupid.

I was over that by the time I got into my last long-term relationship. And even when that relationship kind of melted, I still didn’t crave the melancholy shit.

In fact, songs that strike that chord AND are interesting from this decade (See, “Runaway,” or Bob Iver’s “OVER S∞∞N” — shut up it’s a goddamn great song — or however many Car Seat Headrest songs) have been actually harder for me to listen to than songs that don’t evoke those feelings.

And a LOT of the rock type shit I was drawn to evokes those eekings. I can’t tell you how many months on end I spent listening to Built to Spill’s “Perfect From Now On” in college... Jesus. And I still love — LOVE — that album, and I still love “Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Gorl” and so on, but I just can’t even with a lot of that stuff anymore.

Too old. Too Irish. Too prone to bouts of alcoholism and sucking myself into my own vortex of sadness. Too much to do.

There’s a lot less of that shit in hip-hop and electronic music, and when it does come (which it obviously does) there’s usually a good amount of humor with it... that or it slaps like fucking unholy fuck.
Old 12.31.2018, 12:33 PM   #847
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

New Stitches is fun

I KEEP ON RAPPIN 'BOUT THIS LIFE BECUZ IM REALLY ABOUT IT, I CAME UP OUT MY MAMA'S PUSSY SELLING NARCOTICS
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2019, 09:11 AM   #848
Severian
invito al cielo

Louder, are you going to do another one of these or what?

Seems like we should go for 10 years because — why not, at this point.
Old 01.08.2019, 09:20 AM   #849
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
"I'll be right back, I'm on autopilot for the week." - Future
Old 01.08.2019, 08:48 PM   #850
Severian
invito al cielo

That new Future song put my face to sleep
404142 43
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth