Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page My renewed appreciation of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2011, 08:18 AM   #61
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I disagree! I just listened Bleach, Nevermind, Insesticide and In utero and I noticed that in my opinion the change of songwriting between Bleach and Nevermind is the thing that makes Nirvana great. Of course there is many great songs in Bleach also (Blew, About the girl, Love Buzz, Paper Cuts, Negative Creep and Downer) but I think most of them are quite mediocre. Also in Insesticide is many mediocre songs (Beeswax, Mexican Seafood, Hairspray queen) although I like that punky mood in it. But I think in Nevermind and In Utero Kobain found his composiotion ability and that makes Nirvana great. In my opinion All Apologies is their best song! And I also like both productions, Butch Vig in Nevermind and Steve in In utero.

Yeah, I guess what I'm saying is.. it's nice that they kinda became this pop band for Nevermind, but their songs became a bit too formulaic (which, admittingly, they stepped away from a bit more on In Utero). A song like Spank Thru almost sounds like prog rock compared to a song on Nevermind... indeed, their songs mostly became "verse chorus verse". That predictability made the band sound limited to me. And it's even sadder that they left their best and most creative songs ("BLANDEST") off of their records.

Overall, my feelings on this band is that, when one of their songs comes on, I'm really happy to hear it. But hearing a bunch of their songs in a row wears me down. Again, I highly suggest trying to watch the LIVE AT THE READING DVD. Great performances, but with so many Nevermind songs in a row, it gets tiring pretty quickly, in that context. The best part of the show was when Kurt played THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER.

I love Insesticide, though it's very inconsistent, none of the songs seem to belong. But their "Turnaround" cover -- Nirvana always chose great songs to cover! -- "ANEURYSM", "MOLLY'S LIPS" cover, "AERO ZEPPLIN", and so on and so on were brilliant. Gonna have to agree about one thing... I HATE "MEXICAN SEAFOOD"; I think it's awful.

How do you all feel about WITH THE LIGHTS OUT? I always see it at pawn shops for a few bucks. I am not really interested in the discs, since I have mp3's of their best rare/b-sides and stuff. I just want to know if the DVD is worth checking out.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 08:45 AM   #62
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, I guess what I'm saying is.. it's nice that they kinda became this pop band for Nevermind, but their songs became a bit too formulaic (which, admittingly, they stepped away from a bit more on In Utero). A song like Spank Thru almost sounds like prog rock compared to a song on Nevermind... indeed, their songs mostly became "verse chorus verse". That predictability made the band sound limited to me. And it's even sadder that they left their best and most creative songs ("BLANDEST") off of their records.

Overall, my feelings on this band is that, when one of their songs comes on, I'm really happy to hear it. But hearing a bunch of their songs in a row wears me down. Again, I highly suggest trying to watch the LIVE AT THE READING DVD. Great performances, but with so many Nevermind songs in a row, it gets tiring pretty quickly, in that context. The best part of the show was when Kurt played THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER.

I love Insesticide, though it's very inconsistent, none of the songs seem to belong. But their "Turnaround" cover -- Nirvana always chose great songs to cover! -- "ANEURYSM", "MOLLY'S LIPS" cover, "AERO ZEPPLIN", and so on and so on were brilliant. Gonna have to agree about one thing... I HATE "MEXICAN SEAFOOD"; I think it's awful.

How do you all feel about WITH THE LIGHTS OUT? I always see it at pawn shops for a few bucks. I am not really interested in the discs, since I have mp3's of their best rare/b-sides and stuff. I just want to know if the DVD is worth checking out.

I may be repeating myself, but I think Kurt was at his best when he wrote pop songs. Of course I like some of the little complicated songs like Scentless Apprentice. Iīm not so huge Nirvana fan, I have only those four albums and Iīm not going to buy more. So I donīt know nothing about With the light out.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 08:49 AM   #63
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I continue little. I was very amazed when I listened Nevermind few days ago. It sounds still so good although I remember that I listened it a lot when it was realised. I used to bore very easily that kind of simple pop songs, but I think Kobain (and also Lennon-McCartney) has ability to make simple songs that continue to be atractive. I think itīs very genius!
Old 01.09.2011, 10:17 AM   #64
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think Rid Of me is a great album, but PJ`s "golden period" started in "To bring you my love" and it has continued since then! And if Albini had been producer of those albums, I think they would have been so fascinating. If I compare producers, John Parish is much more producer in my taste than Steve Albini.

Albini is not a producer. He only takes credit as a recording engineer. That kind of says it all.

Hard to imagine he hates bass if you listen to shellac.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cZ6B... 3E70&index=7

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 10:18 AM   #65
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Of course none of the songs seem to belong, it's a compilation.

Old 01.09.2011, 10:33 AM   #66
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

About Aero Zeppelin, I also think that it is great song, but in that song you can hear very clear (in Insesticide, I donīt know is there any other versions), that drummer hasnīt got enough skills to play it. I donīt know who the drummer is, but I think itsnīt definitely Dave Grohl. Of course for example in punk music the skills are not as important as attitude, but to me drums are always been important. Many songs just doesnīt work, if drummer doesnīt have the skills that song demands. Aero Zeppelin is one of those.
Old 01.09.2011, 10:37 AM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
Albini is not a producer. He only takes credit as a recording engineer. That kind of says it all.

That says to me that he's happy shitting on someone's record then not taking responsibility for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 10:50 AM   #68
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
That says to me that he's happy shitting on someone's record then not taking responsibility for it.

Quite the opposite. He doesn't have an input, doesn't give advice and doesn't arrange music. He simply records, hence the 'recording engineer' credit. And if you hire him, you know that's the sound you're gonna get. If a band decides to do that and release it, then it has to be their responsibility.

Old 01.09.2011, 11:04 AM   #69
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree. He's Steve Albini. Steve Albini can fuck himself. Fuck Steve Albini.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.09.2011, 11:26 AM   #70
knox
invito al cielo

I disagree. That's Dave Grohl.

Old 01.09.2011, 11:41 AM   #71
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I disagree. That's Dave Grohl.
Ok. Maybe he was drunk when they recorded it?
Old 01.09.2011, 11:47 AM   #72
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok. Maybe he was drunk when they recorded it?

I think you misuderstood me.
But either way, dave sucks and should never sing.

Old 01.09.2011, 12:30 PM   #73
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Of course none of the songs seem to belong, it's a compilation.

Yeah, I know, I meant moreso that it's a difficult album to recommend - -precisely for that reason -- but I dig it a lot.

Hey Glice, you know Wesley willis? He's got a song called steve albini that sdomewhat resembles your lyrics, hah.

Grohl is one rock's best drummers, his performance on that QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE album was indispensable.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 01:53 PM   #74
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, I know, I meant moreso that it's a difficult album to recommend - -precisely for that reason -- but I dig it a lot.

Hey Glice, you know Wesley willis? He's got a song called steve albini that sdomewhat resembles your lyrics, hah.

Grohl is one rock's best drummers, his performance on that QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE album was indispensable.

he's a cunt.

Old 01.09.2011, 01:55 PM   #75
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:

he's a cunt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BUzoiA1Kc

Old 01.09.2011, 02:07 PM   #76
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:

I've heard some Willis - didn't really do it for me. I have ears of stone.

Grohl did a horrendous version of Prince's Darling Nikki. There are a few rules of pop, and not covering Prince is one of them (Sinead O'Connor doesn't count).

Quote:
Old 01.09.2011, 02:24 PM   #77
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
There are a few rules of pop, and not covering Prince is one of them (Sinead O'Connor doesn't count).

Age of Chance?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 02:27 PM   #78
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I think covering anyone started dying as a creative practice since the very early 80s. I can't think of anyone who did a really good job with covers ever since then. I'm sure there are a few I can't recall right now, just not many.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 02:28 PM   #79
Glice
invito al cielo

No. Just no. [to Herr Rail]

Quote:
Old 01.09.2011, 02:34 PM   #80
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I don't understand what is wrong with being formulaic, that's the very reason some bands are great.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth