Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Is Washing Machine underrated?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Latham
empty page

Latham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's asses
I put it on last night and went all the way through. I must say, WS is defiantly one of my favorite records, totally in the top three. I haven't seen a lot of positive talk of it though. Any other lovers? Or at least share why you think its not up to snuff. (You'd be crazy though! How can you top The Diamond Sea, Skip Tracer, and Washing Machine??)
Latham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 06:21 PM   #2
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine is incredible. When I first purchased it, No Queen Blues was my absolute favorite, which I find so weird now. It's a great song, don't get me wrong, but in comparison to the other tracks, it's not a standout. I could go on and on about each song as I'm sure others could, but I'll just say a few things:

I wish Becuz and its coda were combined.
The Diamond Sea isn't even in my top 5 for the album (although the first breakdown is beautiful).
Saucer-Like is my favorite tune.
Panty Lies rocks.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 06:22 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think it's underrated as a whole, though I think some songs on it might not get the recognition they deserve for various reasons. For example, I think the title track is, musically, SY's best song ever. But the vocals.. yeeeeeah. Not my thing.

Panty Lies used to be my least favorite SY song but the guitar riffs are amazing.

In fact, the riffing on that album, as a whole, is incredible. Some of the weirdest riffs ever.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Latham
empty page

Latham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't think it's underrated as a whole, though I think some songs on it might not get the recognition they deserve for various reasons. For example, I think the title track is, musically, SY's best song ever. But the vocals.. yeeeeeah. Not my thing.

Panty Lies used to be my least favorite SY song but the guitar riffs are amazing.

In fact, the riffing on that album, as a whole, is incredible. Some of the weirdest riffs ever.

Really? I love Kim's vocals on Washing Machine. Panty Lies is great as well, and your right about it being screwed up, even for SY. Every single chord is diminished to hell.
Old 07.27.2009, 06:43 PM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
No poll? YES. Is it their best? No. But "No Queen Blues," "Becuz," "Diamond Sea," etc. C'mon.
Old 07.27.2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Latham
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
No poll? YES. Is it their best? No. But "No Queen Blues," "Becuz," "Diamond Sea," etc. C'mon.

Hey Mr. 5800 posts, you feel free to put up a poll. Ill just chill over here with all 9 of mine.
Old 07.27.2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
YES!!!!!

It is my favorite of all SY records, or any record ever for that sake. It has a certain undiscribable mood unlike any other SY record. And over ten years after I first heard it I still hear new things EVERY single time. Despite it being the record I´ve heard the most times of any. There is so much going on. So much details like in ATL & NYCG&F (maybe Nurse & Murray Street too to a lesser extent.) that I dont find in their new records. Rather Ripped & The Eternal is so flat in comparison.
Im not gonna hear new things every time in RR in ten years.

Layers upon layers. A much bigger spectrum of guitar noises than nowadays too. Thats why the start of Antenna seems a bit cheap, because they come from this stuff. So many of the sounds were "How the fuck do they do that?" upon first(and later) hearing(s).
The wahwah solo/noise/freakout on Becuz is somewhere inbetween pure noise and a melodic solo. I love the way the noise is much more incorporated in the music than "here comes the noise part" type thinking.
The noise parts are so well thought out! Not just the "we have to put a noise part in here because thats what people expect" but the noise is there because it serves the music and vice versa.

The crossfade in the Washing Machine song "here´s a quarter go put in the washing machine..." and then it evolves into the fuzz harmonics riff, wow. Goosebumps.

I could go on and on.. The end of Junkies Promise. The weird intro solos on Saucer-Like and No Queen Blues. There is so much that is not present in their music anymore. I really miss how the music and noise worked together . Sonically this record is so rich!

I have to respect what they do nowadays, but I feel what they do now is just a tiny percent of something that is/was/should be/could be so much bigger.
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
Listening now. I forgot the amazing guitar interplay in Unwind from ca. 2:32 onwards.
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Latham
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland
YES!!!!!

It is my favorite of all SY records, or any record ever for that sake. It has a certain undiscribable mood unlike any other SY record. And over ten years after I first heard it I still hear new things EVERY single time. Despite it being the record I´ve heard the most times of any. There is so much going on. So much details like in ATL & NYCG&F (maybe Nurse & Murray Street too to a lesser extent.) that I dont find in their new records. Rather Ripped & The Eternal is so flat in comparison.
Im not gonna hear new things every time in RR in ten years.

Layers upon layers. A much bigger spectrum of guitar noises than nowadays too. Thats why the start of Antenna seems a bit cheap, because they come from this stuff. So many of the sounds were "How the fuck do they do that?" upon first(and later) hearing(s).
The wahwah solo/noise/freakout on Becuz is somwhere inbetween pure noise and a melodic solo. I love the way the noise is much more incorporated in the music than "here comes the noise part" type thinking.
The noise parts are so well thought out! Not just the "we have to put a noise part in here because thats what people expect" but the noise is there because it serves the music and vice versa.

The crossfade in the Washing Machine song "here´s a quarter go put in the washing machine..." and then it evolves into the fuzz harmonics riff, wow. Goosebumbs.

I could go on and on.. The end of Junkies Promise. The weird intro solos on Saucer-Like and No Queen Blues. There is so much that is not present in their music anymore. I really miss how the music and noise worked together . Sonically this record is so rich!

I have to respect what they do nowadays, but I feel what they do now is just a tiny percent of something that is/was/should be/could be so much bigger.

Wow, I totally agree with you that WS has some incredibly diverse and wonderfully bizarre sounds in it, and sounds unlike any other record I own.

The freaky, empty intro to Skip Tracer. Thurston's voice on Diamond Sea, and the lyrics themselves? Almost every song has kind of a creepy, warped feel to it. None of the rhythms seem quite right, and all of the guitar work is just haunting and unsettling. Music doesn't get better.

Guess this record gets more love then I thought! Great.

Though I like their new stuff as well. RR wasn't my favorite, but it was better than some other stuff they've put out, and I totally enjoyed The Eternal as well, better than all the hate its gotten.
Old 07.27.2009, 07:02 PM   #10
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Underrated? I don't think so. i like this album alot!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:11 PM   #11
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latham
Hey Mr. 5800 posts, you feel free to put up a poll. Ill just chill over here with all 9 of mine.

You've got 9 polls?

That's a lot of work for a girl.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:18 PM   #12
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
It's my favorite SY album. I'd say it's pretty underrated after seeing a lot of pretty average grades for it in that "rank yr SY albums out of 10" thread or whatever. I'm not going to bother waxing poetic about it since Newfoundland already nailed it, but yeah, amazing album.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:24 PM   #13
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I think they get a lot of nice pretty and skronky guitar sounds on it.

But in many ways I feel emotionally detached from the music when I listen to it, with the exception of he Diamond Sea, which is why I don't count it among my favorites.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:25 PM   #14
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
I have no idea why itèd be underrated. Itès always been one of my favourite SY records. Itès very exciting and energetic and has great songs. I thought it was appropriately titled because itès like they were putting all their earlier and later sounds together and swirling them around.
Old 07.27.2009, 07:44 PM   #15
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Yes. Sort of. Maybe not around here, but at large - definitely.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:52 PM   #16
Latham
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
You've got 9 polls?

That's a lot of work for a girl.

Perhaps I should clarify. I felt that you were more entitled to put up a poll, as you have over 5000 posts and I have 10 now. More people would participate in a poll coming from a much more experienced member of the board. Thus, leading to a better poll.
Old 07.27.2009, 07:52 PM   #17
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
blame it on the bbq of Memphis.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 08:49 PM   #18
Perfume-V
empty page

Perfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's asses
It's an amazing album. It's probably my second favourite SY album.
Perfume-V is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
It's probably my favorite of SY's 8 post-Dirty records. I might even prefer it over Dirty and Goo.
Old 07.27.2009, 10:19 PM   #20
Latham
empty page

In my top three along with Daydream Nation and Sister.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth