Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severian's electronic music gastropub
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2017, 07:46 PM   #141
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, DJ Dodger Stadium is now called DJDS, and has a pretty dope new track out.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2017, 09:12 AM   #142
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
A friend attended the, Steve Hauschidt show last night in Austin. "Pleasant with an undercurrent of menace" is how she described the performance. I'm not all that familiar with Steve's solo output, I just knew he was a member of, Emeralds.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2017, 10:09 AM   #143
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
A friend attended the, Steve Hauschidt show last night in Austin. "Pleasant with an undercurrent of menace" is how she described the performance. I'm not all that familiar with Steve's solo output, I just knew he was a member of, Emeralds.

Cool! I haven't paid much attention to his solo stuff in the past, but his 2016 album Strands has some really nice moments on it. Colorful oozey woozey shit. And of course I quite like Emeralds.

I just realized that my favorite Emeralds album is for some reason not on streaming services. Got an itch to listen to Solar Bridge and have no idea where my copy has gotten off to.
Old 06.29.2017, 10:14 AM   #144
Severian
invito al cielo

Did I already mention that Jeffrey Cantu-Ledesma has a new album out?

Not strictly electronic, though often filed under that umbrella.
It's called On the Echoing Green, and it's more dreamy spaced-out crushingly lovely droning semi-ambient guitars and synths, from one of the most trusted dudes who still packs a six-string.

I feel like Jefre should have a more devout following, especially among Sonic Youth fans. I respect the shit out of him, and this new album is pretty goddamn glorious.
Old 06.29.2017, 04:16 PM   #145
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
The new Jefre reminds me of My Bloody Valentine almost.

The only electronic album I've heard this year that I keep coming back to is Embers by Throwing Snow. It's not exactly revolutionary, but it has enough variety that it stays interesting for a whole hour, which is more than I can say about most releases I've heard this year.

There's a new Floating Points album out coming out soon. Apparently it's a soundtrack, but the tracks that have been released so far are pretty solid.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2017, 08:10 PM   #146
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogologogolo
The new Jefre reminds me of My Bloody Valentine almost.

The only electronic album I've heard this year that I keep coming back to is Embers by Throwing Snow. It's not exactly revolutionary, but it has enough variety that it stays interesting for a whole hour, which is more than I can say about most releases I've heard this year.

There's a new Floating Points album out coming out soon. Apparently it's a soundtrack, but the tracks that have been released so far are pretty solid.

I think it's a soundtrack to a short film that was made *about* the recording of the songs, but I might be wrong. If so, I guess I don't really count that as a soundtrack album. But I'm excited to hear it.

Also, if you're having trouble finding electronic albums to hold your attention this year, might I suggest Visible Cloaks? Their new album Reassemblage is really one of the best things I've heard all year.

Also, Jlin's Black Origami, but being a footwork affair, it does have some redundancy to it. Still, mighty powerful album. I think she might be from the future.

And finally, I was ready to be disappointed by Botany's newest album RAW LIGHT II, thinking it would be a remix EP of songs from Dimming Awe, the Light is Raw. But in fact it's actually a really goddamn swell little album, with more high points than perhaps any album since the excellent Lava Diviner: Truestory in 2013.

Just throwing those out there in case you're interested in re-evaluating your 2017 electro-shit. Some good stuff out there. Not to mention Burial's "Subtemples" single, which is his strongest effort in a while.

Old 06.30.2017, 04:32 AM   #147
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I know, right? Fucking Slavo is legit. He messaged me a recording of that show he put up recently and OH MY GOD HOW HAVE I NOT PUT IT ON MY IPOD YET?!

Fucking amazing. Seriously.

haha, thanks man, you're too kind. you should hear what kind of shit I'm preparing for my next week's performance on a big festival. Kind of good, I'd say ... lots of beats, twitchy and unstable.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2017, 09:56 AM   #148
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
haha, thanks man, you're too kind. you should hear what kind of shit I'm preparing for my next week's performance on a big festival. Kind of good, I'd say ... lots of beats, twitchy and unstable.

A "big festival" you say? Which big festival?

Will you share with the faithful when you have the recording?

Old 07.03.2017, 02:11 AM   #149
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
A "big festival" you say? Which big festival?

Will you share with the faithful when you have the recording?

https://www.pohodafestival.sk/en/

the biggest one in our country ... I'm slowly getting REALLY shit scared, man. I'm playing this Friday afternoon.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 07.03.2017, 08:20 AM   #150
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
best of luck Slavo – and I co-sign Severian, would really be interested in hearing a recording of this one
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2017, 09:33 AM   #151
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
https://www.pohodafestival.sk/en/

the biggest one in our country ... I'm slowly getting REALLY shit scared, man. I'm playing this Friday afternoon.

Wow. I can't read anything on that page except for band names. Lol.

But listen dude, if I was attending a massive festival, one of my main spots would be the DJ tent. It's secluded from the big pop stages, and as long as it's not an EDM-heavy DJ list, it would be a place of welcome respite from the throngs of people.

This is exactly where I'd go in between my absolute must-see main stage artists, and I would be on the lookout for hot new shit to spread the word about. Don't be nervous man. If I caught a set like yours at a fedtival, it would make my freaking day. It would cut through the din, and I'd be very intersted in finding out more.

You are very good at this, and you caught my ear like a fishhook. Just go do your thing and know that you're likely offering something that a lot of your peers won't have on tap, so to speak.
Old 07.03.2017, 10:00 AM   #152
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Wow. I can't read anything on that page except for band names. Lol.

But listen dude, if I was attending a massive festival, one of my main spots would be the DJ tent. It's secluded from the big pop stages, and as long as it's not an EDM-heavy DJ list, it would be a place of welcome respite from the throngs of people.

This is exactly where I'd go in between my absolute must-see main stage artists, and I would be on the lookout for hot new shit to spread the word about. Don't be nervous man. If I caught a set like yours at a fedtival, it would make my freaking day. It would cut through the din, and I'd be very intersted in finding out more.

But don't be nervous man. You are very good at this, and you caught my ear like a fishhook. Just go do your thing and know that you're likely offering something that a lot of your peers won't have on tap, so to speak.

yeah, the tent I'll play in, will be mostly experimental music and techno and that kind of stuff.
I've prepared my set in a slightly different way than the one you've seen on the video - this is going to be a bit more beat driven, weird twitchy beats, a bit like 2-step or early Aphex Twin, but I don't really know, I'm not a real expert on music with beats. but it sounds pretty cool.

Thanks for the support man, by the way. To both you and SYRfox. I'm scared shitless, though I know I'll go out there and do my best.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 07.04.2017, 01:35 AM   #153
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Fuck. Fuck. I'm reviewing the set and I feel like it's total bollocks crap. Maybe it's just the nerves talking though. I don't know.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 07.04.2017, 08:32 PM   #154
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Fuck. Fuck. I'm reviewing the set and I feel like it's total bollocks crap. Maybe it's just the nerves talking though. I don't know.

You can't review your own stuff man.

I mean, I know you're not talking about that kind of reviewing. I imagine you are going over the recordings and checking for quality.

But still, you should turn that critical part of your brain off and focus on the mix and or the sound levels (or the video quality, or whatever it is you're reviewing) and not, "Does this sound like good music?"

In the newsroom, it's a rule. I've been doing a lot more copy-editing lately, and it turns out I'm quite good at it. But... if I write something, I'm literally not allowed to copy-edit that shit. Someone else has to. And I wouldn't want to -- story would suffer.

Get the product, whatever it is, ready for viewing/listening, and then let some friends tell you what they think (I can think of a couple ). We'll tell you if, somehow, you missed your mark, and we'll do it knowing damn well how solid your sets can be.

But for now, just get that stuff together and don't worry about whether it was your best set ever or not.

Old 07.21.2017, 07:14 PM   #155
Severian
invito al cielo

APHEX TWIN OPENS STREAMING/DIGITAL MUSIC SITE WITH NEEEEW FUCCCKKKING SHIIITTT!!!

Read about it.

Go to there.

Old 07.21.2017, 07:17 PM   #156
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think it's a soundtrack to a short film that was made *about* the recording of the songs, but I might be wrong. If so, I guess I don't really count that as a soundtrack album. But I'm excited to hear it.

Also, if you're having trouble finding electronic albums to hold your attention this year, might I suggest Visible Cloaks? Their new album Reassemblage is really one of the best things I've heard all year.

Also, Jlin's Black Origami, but being a footwork affair, it does have some redundancy to it. Still, mighty powerful album. I think she might be from the future.

And finally, I was ready to be disappointed by Botany's newest album RAW LIGHT II, thinking it would be a remix EP of songs from Dimming Awe, the Light is Raw. But in fact it's actually a really goddamn swell little album, with more high points than perhaps any album since the excellent Lava Diviner: Truestory in 2013.

Just throwing those out there in case you're interested in re-evaluating your 2017 electro-shit. Some good stuff out there. Not to mention Burial's "Subtemples" single, which is his strongest effort in a while.

I heard the Reassemblage album before, but after a couple re-listens I think that I'm coming back around to it. Really cool textures on that one
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2017, 07:25 PM   #157
Severian
invito al cielo

^ Screenshot doesn't show new tracks. Bonus tracks on Druqks, bonus AFX tracks, etc. I only looked for a sec, but I'll be purchasing some official fucking jams as soon as I get back to my computer at home. Fuck yeah.
Old 07.21.2017, 07:26 PM   #158
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogologogolo
I heard the Reassemblage album before, but after a couple re-listens I think that I'm coming back around to be. Really cool textures on that one

Yeah, it's fucking good. One of the best of the year, I 'spect.
Old 07.29.2017, 01:43 PM   #159
Severian
invito al cielo

Ben Frost - Threshold of Faith

New EP recorded by Steve Albini
Old 08.30.2017, 09:19 AM   #160
Severian
invito al cielo

FEATHERED SUN - "Welcome Woodi" (YouTube)

FEATHERED SUN is a collaborative clusterfuck from Acid Pauli, Christopher Shwarzwälder, Jo.Ke, NU, Raz Ohar, and I think two other guys who are sometimes involved. Hah.

Nice track though. The good kind of chill.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth