Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Master Musicians of Jajouka in NYC
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.27.2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
featuring Lee?

THE KNITTING FACTORY
IS PROUD TO PRESENT

MASTER MUSICIANS OF JAJOUKA
W/ BACHIR ATTAR AND VERY SPECIAL GUESTS

SATURDAY, FEB 28th
AT THE OLD KNITTING FACTORY (74 LEONARD ST. BETWEEN BROADWAY AND CHURCH)

Proclaimed "one of the most musically inspiring groups in the world" by Mick Jagger, the Master Musicians of Jajouka perform a hypnotic style of music that The African Music Encyclopedia described as "a strange (at least to Western ears) combination of high-pitched, nasal, buzzing sounds (imagine a swarm of bees) with surging waves of rhythm which can induce an ecstatic trance state."

Jajouka is a small ancient village perched above a long valley in the blue Djebala foothills of the Rif mountains several kilometers from Ksar el Kebir, in northern Morocco. Once upon a time—a time before history —when the past was remembered in words and music recited in the fire-lit dark—a group of migrants, perhaps from the Phoenician settlement of Lixus on the Atlantic coast, made their home on the Mountain of Owls in the gold-green foothills of the Moroccan Rif. There, above the winding valley of the Loukous, a music was born in the magic and mystery of the darkness which for years beyond counting has survived, absorbing all influences that have come along, from Roman Gods and Islamic Saints, to the development of a modern Moroccan kingdom.

Unknown to the Western world for most of their history, the Master Musicians of Jajouka were "discovered" in the '50s by beat novelist William Burroughs and composer/writer Paul Bowles, who recorded the band for the Library of Congress. Brian Jones was introduced to the group by painter, writer, and metaphysician Brion Gysin. Starting in the early '90s, the Master Musicians of Jajouka were led by Bachir Attar, whose father had led the group in the late '60s. The Master Musicians of Jajouka's first tour of the United States in 1997 included a reenactment of the week-long lunar feast of Aid El Kabir. In 1999, the group was visited by Sonic Youth guitarist Lee Ranaldo. By the end of the '90s, the electronica world embraced the group as well; Talvin Singh produced their 2000 album The Master Musicians of Jajouka Featuring Bachir Attar.
The Master Musicians were the Royal Court musicians for seven kings of Morocco prior to Morocco's occupation by France and Spain, and subsequent Independence in 1956. To this day, the Master Musicians, along with the holy man of the village, heal mental illnesses of the people sent from around Morocco.
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS & LEARN MORE ABOUT MASTER MUSICIANS OF JAJOUKA
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
No Lee. He is in LA.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 03:13 PM   #3
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
No Lee. He is in LA.
Maybe he'll play via satellite link-up.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 03:26 PM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Tough night they go up against the Arthurfest. I saw MMJ in 1995 and it was a magical event, they literally changed my consciousness into an ecstatic state through sound, wild stuff. It was a miracle ticket, I had no intention of going as I was broke, and smoe patron gave her ticket to a friend who came running after me, and it turned out my ticket was front row center and my friends who paid were stuck up in the rafters!
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 09:16 PM   #5
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them and was dissapointed
Old 02.27.2009, 09:21 PM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
For a second there I thought this was a thread about master musicians of bukkake, who are definitely the most inspiring band in the world!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 09:31 PM   #7
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
No Lee. He is in LA.

oh noooo
would have been nice...

will anybody record that gig?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth