Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes Round 6
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Enough room to swing a cat by it's tail?
Yes 1 12.50%
No 0 0%
Perhaps 1 12.50%
Cat Power 3 37.50%
Mountain Dew 2 25.00%
I have a cold. Comfort me. 4 50.00%
I am in love with you 3 37.50%
I am in hate with you 0 0%
I feel indifferent 2 25.00%
McDonalds has a new mexican-style chicken thing 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01.04.2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Is that time of the month already!? Sign up for round six of...

MIX TAPES

Make a mix tape, send it to me and I'll send it on to somebody else.

WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PACKAGE:

Posting From UK:
1) Your cassette.
2) Your username.
3) Your address.
4) £2

Posting From Europe:
1) Your cassette.
2) Your username.
3) Your address.
4) 3 Euros

Posting From US/Canada:
1) Your cassette.
2) Your username.
3) Your address.
4) $3.50

Posting From Somewhere Else:
1) Don't bother.

Money covers postage costs. I checked how all the currencies check out and they're roughly equal.

Note R.E money:
If you live OUTSIDE of the UK, try not to send me coins. Coins are easily lost and the currency bureau won't change them into real money for me. If you can only send coins, don't worry- I forgive you. I will use them sooner or later.

PM me for my address, or any other details you may need. Have fun. Please have the tapes finished and sent out by the end of January. It's actually best to have it done and sent off by the 20th or so, that way it's all done more quickly, but we're all lazy, so that ain't never gonna happen.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ha. I take up Mr Peltor's challenge for a proper review. Bearing in mind that he, and only he, will be compelled to read the entireity of said review, inclusive of full theoretical analysis of as many tracks as I can be arsed with doing a proper theory dissection of. I only ask that Mr Peltor do the same in return.

I'm also in for the next round.

Edit: My friend has also expressed an interest. I'll make sure he signs in for the necessary feedback rigmarole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I feel indifferent. But count me in.
Old 01.05.2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I will reply to your review here, Bytor, so as to not bump another tapes thread to the front page.

Quote:
Straight & Narrow Kennel District! (possibly the name of the tape?)

Recorded October 4, 2006 in Liverpool, England - Planet Earth - by Danny Himself (hand written on a yellow post-it's and stuck to the inlay tape case card)

I Need To Sleep.
I Need To Sleep.
I Need To Sleep.
Why Won't You?
Why Won't You?
Let Me Sleep. (hand written poem on the inlay tape case card)

JMC Retro & Fish Graveyard & Cinnabon! (this phrase is hand written on a green label that is affixed to the tape case

ARTWORK

I've been experiencing some computer problems and there are some issues with my scanner. Due to this, I will be unable to post the artwork. My best description: there is an eagle that has been cut and pasted to the tape case inlay card. Actually, something is glued to the tape case inlay card and the eagle is then glued to that. Not sure if the eagle is there just because it fits or if there is some hidden message that I'm missing out on? Could the dolphin sounds really be eagle sounds?

SIDE A

01. French Movie Theme - Smashing Pumpkins (94). A great track to open a mix tape with. It's a Pumpkin track that I wasn't even aware of - NICE!
Throughout the tape, the sounds of dolphins / proposes (or whales) appear between some of the tracks. Not exactly sure what it is, but it does fit nicely.
02. Don't have a clue as to what this is - "I'm lonely, think I've got a special way."
03. Farewell Ride - Beck (05). A great tune and it very well may prompt me to go purchase the album.
More dolphin sounds......at the end, it sounds like a cassette tape stop......as if these sounds are coming from another cassette tape.
04 He Turns Down - Cat Power (98). I don't own any Cat Power albums, but I very well may have enough individual tracks on different mix tapes that could make up a proper Cat Power release. Cat Power is very popular with the mix tape mix masters.
05. Good Feeling - Violent Femmes (82). 1982 - WOW - time sure does fly by. Follows the Cat Power track quite nicely.
More dolphin sounds......sort of wonder if this isn't some sort of avant jazz manipulation?
06. Leif Erikson - Interpol (02). Solid track from an album that I really enjoy.
More dolphins......
07. The State I Am In - Belle & Sebastian (96).

SIDE B

Starts off with twenty seconds of engine revving.
01. Don't have a clue? Long Instrumental Jam that has an abrupt end. (I'm guessing the track goes on forever).
More dolphin sounds......
02. Wind Cries Marry - Jimi Hendrix (one of my favorite Hendrix tracks)
03. Don't have a clue again? A fun sounding organ piece that makes me want to sing, "I'll Take You There."
More dolphins......
04. "okay 1, 2 - 1, 2, 3, 4" (only three seconds long) and then a song starts that sort of sounds like a Radiohead outtake.
More dolphins......
05. No Clue Here, but I feel like I should know this? "take us to the disco tech"
More dolphins with what sounds like electronic beats.
06. California(?) - not sure if this is the name or who it is......possibly Lead Belly?
07. "Wondering what to do......now you know this is the end." Again, I have no clue and I'm anxious for Danny to tell us who this is.

I've listened to the tape three times and I will enjoy it for years to come. You can see / hear that Danny Himself took his time making this tape. PLEASE give some great details Danny about the dolphin sounds.

The dolphin sounds were taken from a tape I have of undersea recordings of Pacific Orca Whales off the coast of Washington and British Columbia. The long jam on side 2 is The Smashing Pumpkins, with a song that might as well go on forever. That track was Leadbelly. The final track on side 2 was The Specials. The other tracks are probably Pavement tracks- I always forget what I put on tapes but I was addicted to Pavement when I made that tape. I put the eagle there because I like eagles.
Old 01.05.2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

I thought the artwork was great. However, my tape-playing stereo is now buried under a bunch of other junk in the back room of the house because my dad is re-hauling the kitchen floor. When I navigate around the boxes of crap and bags of cement I'll give it a hearty listen.
Old 01.05.2007, 02:02 PM   #6
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
looks like ill be at the stereo tonight aain!! im in anyway. by the way im still waiting for round 3 and 5 tapes............
Old 01.05.2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
This may sound like a stoopid question, feel free to shoot me down in flames.

If I don't have a cassette recorder, can I still join in? Maybe using a CDR?

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2007, 05:50 PM   #8
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
I'm in. Just started my tape
You better beleive it
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
looks like ill be at the stereo tonight aain!! im in anyway. by the way im still waiting for round 3 and 5 tapes............

Your round 5 tape was personally posted to you by me on.. wednesday, I think. Pookie should eventually send out the round 3 tapes when he gets a chance between giving birth to children and going to work and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Lucky me you had the opportunity to finish the tape I received before all the construction began......hope it clears so you can take part in Round 6.

It should clear up in a week or so. I'll give it a listen then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
This may sound like a stoopid question, feel free to shoot me down in flames.

If I don't have a cassette recorder, can I still join in? Maybe using a CDR?

Hmmm. I think I'll have to dust off my trigger finger and shoot you down in flames. Unless you can find someone willing to make your tape for you, which is pretty hard, you'll have to sit out on this one. CDRs aren't cassettes.

However, I don't think cassette recorders are that expensive. You should be able to find a shitty old CD/Cassette/Radio combo stereo for about $20 at a bargain-basement store or something.
Old 01.06.2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Pookie should eventually send out the round 3 tapes
I sent these weeks ago.

Quote:
when he gets a chance between giving birth to children and going to work and whatnot.

Cheeky bugger. We do pause for breath between popping them out.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Oh, right. Well blame it on the british postal service that I still ain't got mine.
Old 01.06.2007, 08:25 PM   #12
pulsar
little trouble girl

pulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant future
Why isn't there a drawing and everybody sends his tape to its reciever, would be way cheaper and easier.
Old 01.06.2007, 08:46 PM   #13
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Note R.E money:
If you live OUTSIDE of the UK, try not to send me coins. Coins are easily lost and the currency bureau won't change them into real money for me. If you can only send coins, don't worry- I forgive you. I will use them sooner or later.
I don't think it's possible to have 3.50 without having change
Old 01.06.2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

It mostly applies to those sending Euros. Coins are okay, I just meant that if you can use notes, use notes.
Old 01.06.2007, 09:26 PM   #15
finding nobody
invito al cielo

Gotcha
I'm gonna send you a letter with my tape
Old 01.06.2007, 09:27 PM   #16
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Is that because you rule?
Old 01.06.2007, 09:29 PM   #17
finding nobody
invito al cielo

Could be! haha
Old 01.08.2007, 09:58 AM   #18
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Hmmm. I think I'll have to dust off my trigger finger and shoot you down in flames. Unless you can find someone willing to make your tape for you, which is pretty hard, you'll have to sit out on this one. CDRs aren't cassettes.

However, I don't think cassette recorders are that expensive. You should be able to find a shitty old CD/Cassette/Radio combo stereo for about $20 at a bargain-basement store or something.

OK I'll consider myself shot down then.
Odd thing is that I have loads of cassettes, just nothing to play them on.
Oh well.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2007, 12:27 PM   #19
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

I'm sorry.

:[
Old 01.08.2007, 02:53 PM   #20
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pondering.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth