Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the other news
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.26.2019, 02:26 PM   #141
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Well considering we have USB-c chargers that argument doesn't hold.

The UK is able to do trade deals with other countries but they won't kick in til 2021 I think it is. We had/have free trade deals with God knows how many countries already due to being in the EU. Not sure what better deals we can get out of it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2019, 02:33 PM   #142
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Well considering we have USB-c chargers that argument doesn't hold.

my ipad pro cant use other ipad chargers. it’s a special charger with its own weird hole. even current ipads use lightning but the pro has a “special holel haha. do i need to now throw out the chargers with “the wrong hole”?

also the lighting connectors must go, lol.

is usb-c “the final port”?

gotta see possibilities beyond the existing a little bit. that’s.... what innovation does. how do you allow for it? (skip the bullshit with wireless charging lol)

but anyway...

Quote:
The UK is able to do trade deals with other countries but they won't kick in til 2021 I think it is. We had/have free trade deals with God knows how many countries already due to being in the EU. Not sure what better deals we can get out of it.

ah i didnt know this...

thanks! will look for more
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2019, 02:38 PM   #143
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The free trade argument is for me the weakest in terms of justifying a leave vote. In terms of trade it would certainly be safer to remain as going it alone would obviously represent a massive leap into the unknown. Better the devil you know, and all that. For me it's really about the EU's increasing hostility to democracy.

But this is such a toxic issue in the UK now that I'd rather just agree to disagree with those who see things differently. It fundamentally divides Britain -as we're now seeing from the way it's essentially tearing both major political parties apart (don't believe that the split in Labour is a consequence of the anti-semitism row; it's Brexit) and the same thing is gonna happen to the Conservatives.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2019, 02:42 PM   #144
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the idea of a no deal happening is just...urgh.

One thing a no deal scenario would surely achieve is that the leave voters would finally stare in the face of the mess they got this country in and its consequences. Some days I support this scenario because I'm not keen on Britain, particularly Wales and England, getting a comfortable outcome out of all this. After all, that would be like breaking up with a bf/gf but wanting to be friends with benefits after. If Theresa May's government really had any integrity Brexit would really mean Brexit, and not all these political games the Tories are playing in order to save face. You voted leave (not you h8kurdt), then leave. See how it feels and the rest will be history.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2019, 02:46 PM   #145
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The free trade argument is for me the weakest in terms of justifying a leave vote. In terms of trade it would certainly be safer to remain as going it alone would obviously represent a massive leap into the unknown. Better the devil you know, and all that. For me it's really about the EU's increasing hostility to democracy.

But this is such a toxic issue in the UK now that I'd rather just agree to disagree with those who see things differently. It fundamentally divides Britain -as we're now seeing from the way it's essentially tearing both major political parties apart (don't believe that the split in Labour is a consequence of the anti-semitism row; it's Brexit) and the same thing is gonna happen to the Conservatives.

Nah, I get what you mean. Makes me laugh when people say that if we have another referendum it'll divide people more. How it can be more divided I've not a clue.

Was funny how the news were saying member of Labour were strongly against what Corbyn said about maybe having a 2nd vote. If he'd said no to the idea you can guarantee the news would be saying that certain members of the party are angry and want a 2nd vote. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 02.26.2019, 02:48 PM   #146
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
One thing a no deal scenario would surely achieve is that the leave voters would finally stare in the face of the mess they got this country in and its consequences. Some days I support this scenario because I'm not keen on Britain, particularly Wales and England, getting a comfortable outcome out of all this. After all, that would be like breaking up with a bf/gf but wanting to be friends with benefits after. If Theresa May's government really had any integrity Brexit would really mean Brexit, and not all these political games the Tories are playing in order to save face. You voted leave (not you h8kurdt), then leave. See how it feels and the rest will be history.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel like it sometimes. Problem is that the rest of population have to deal with the fallout of it too.

Old 02.26.2019, 03:07 PM   #147
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Nah, I get what you mean. Makes me laugh when people say that if we have another referendum it'll divide people more. How it can be more divided I've not a clue.

Was funny how the news were saying member of Labour were strongly against what Corbyn said about maybe having a 2nd vote. If he'd said no to the idea you can guarantee the news would be saying that certain members of the party are angry and want a 2nd vote. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Everyone knew Europe would eventually destroy the Tories but the Labour thing was (for me anyway) less obvious. The problem is, while a vast majority of Labour MPs are Remainers, most of its constituencies voted to Leave.
Old 02.26.2019, 03:27 PM   #148
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

can you please explain? i mean “the eu’s increasing hostility to democracy” part

e.g., catalonian self-determination? or something in england?

Quote:

well parties always reshuffle and it’s not the end of history. where are the whigs?

definitely from what im reading (the economist is more & more my trusty steed) the split is happening and brexit is the real divide in british politics these days.

thing is the politicians like farage (whom i didnt know, i was in another planet) are presented as charlatans who were just riling up the populace with fictions.

i’m more interested in the why serious grownups would want to leave. which is why i keep interrogating you guys haaa haaa haaaa.
Old 02.26.2019, 03:48 PM   #149
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
is the irish border all there is to it though?
Old 02.26.2019, 03:59 PM   #150
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
like farage.

I wouldn't call Nigel Farage a politician as such. He's an agitator at best. We have our very own version of douchebags like that in Italy right now in our own government with Di Maio and Salvini. Two people who know that pointing their finger at specific targets, be they immigrants, the EU, or anything from outer space, will get them the attention they feel will advance their perceived charisma in the popularity polls. Italy, as you may have previously read, is in recession once more and has the weakest union activity we've seen in decades. I do think the tide will change because eventually all this stuff will need to end because of actual problems that have been avoided one way or another for a long time. And I think, in a way, delivering the no deal, hostile environment Brexit Theresa May really wants could be beneficial for this country because then you have nothing else to blame but your own policies. Nevermind the silly trade deals with Commonwealth countries. The irony is that I feel if the same referendum happened in Italy right now most Italians would vote to leave too. That's how fucked things are at the moment.
Old 02.26.2019, 04:17 PM   #151
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I wouldn't call Nigel Farage a politician as such. He's an agitator at best. We have our very own version of douchebags like that in Italy right now in our own government with Di Maio and Salvini. Two people who know that pointing their finger at specific targets, be they immigrants, the EU, or anything from outer space, will get them the attention they feel will advance their perceived charisma in the popularity polls. Italy, as you may have previously read, is in recession once more and has the weakest union activity we've seen in decades. I do think the tide will change because eventually all this stuff will need to end because of actual problems that have been avoided one way or another for a long time. And I think, in a way, delivering the no deal, hostile environment Brexit Theresa May really wants could be beneficial for this country because then you have nothing else to blame but your own policies. Nevermind the silly trade deals with Commonwealth countries. The irony is that I feel if the same referendum happened in Italy right now most Italians would vote to leave too. That's how fucked things are at the moment.
yeah ive been reading about salvini’s inflammatory squabbles with france, and his impending citizen salary of... 765 or 780 euros or something? maybe it works maybe he’s just buying votes.

in the case of italy seems to me he’d leave so he can manipulate the currency and provide a temporary illusion of prosperity. but the citizen’s income (i forget if this is the right name) would accomplish much the same. maybe.

i don’t know why italy’s economy is in perpetual stagnation though, it has lagged behind the neighbors since i have memory. youth unemployment now is insane.

the thing is if italy crashes the whole eu could maybe fail. no? bigger than greece, ireland, portugal...
Old 02.26.2019, 04:19 PM   #152
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
is the irish border all there is to it though?

I think it depends on which Irish person you ask to. I had an Irish friend round for dinner last week who was very adamant the Brexit vote should be dealt with in a harsh, punitive way for Britain. But I'm sure Irish people have differing opinions on that. The Irish backstop issue is only one of the many issues, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02.26.2019, 05:15 PM   #153
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
i’m more interested in the why serious grownups would want to leave.

I'm unarguably grown-up, at least from a biological perspective, but I suppose the serious bit is for others to decide.

Either way, I won't deny that a lot of Leave voters were motivated by simple xenophobia, but others were against the free movement of people and its perceived impact on wages, especially in the unskilled jobs market. Others were against what they saw as the impact of certain regulations dictated by Brussels on small businesses. Others saw it as the right for Britain to create and implement its own laws. Others wanted to revive trade options with the commonwealth and other parts of the world.

For me it was mainly the fact that its inner circle appear to exist outside of any genuine election-process involving the people of Europe (and consequently not really accountable to them). Also the way that it uses austerity to exert control over its member states (most obviously in the case of Greece). Plus they keep fucking around with the shape of bananas.
Old 02.26.2019, 05:21 PM   #154
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm unarguably grown-up, at least from a biological perspective, but I suppose the serious bit is for others to decide.

Either way, I won't deny that a lot of Leave voters were motivated by simple xenophobia, but others were against the free movement of people and its perceived impact on wages, especially in the unskilled jobs market. Others were against what they saw as the impact of certain regulations dictated by Brussels on small businesses. Others saw it as the right for Britain to create and implement its own laws. Others wanted to revive trade options with the commonwealth and other parts of the world.

For me it was mainly the fact that its inner circle appear to exist outside of any genuine election-process involving the people of Europe (and consequently not really accountable to them). Also the way that it uses austerity to exert control over its member states (most obviously in the case of Greece). Plus they keep fucking around with the shape of bananas.
Aren't you some Irish-Egyptian born in England? Not even pure. lol
Old 02.26.2019, 05:22 PM   #155
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Kidding, of course. x
Old 02.26.2019, 05:38 PM   #156
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Spot-On. I can cook cabbage a million ways, I'm brilliant at backgammon and I never tip.
Old 02.26.2019, 05:49 PM   #157
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Spot-On. I can cook cabbage a million ways, I'm brilliant at backgammon and I never tip.

Are you part of any union?
Old 02.26.2019, 05:52 PM   #158
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Unison. Why?
Old 02.26.2019, 05:56 PM   #159
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

yyyeah i begin to see

seems to me the eu was above all a peace project. enough with the wars. which sure a lofty goal—essential, even.

however, turning nation states into eventual members of a confederacy can’t be easy... here we have 50 states now but took a civil war and some massive brutality and the war still continues between north and south. kinda like in scotland...

now the common maket is “free” for members but not that free really as a market. meaning, i realize now—you can freely trade with each other but at bottom there”s a lot of central planning and regulation. like the usb cable—or bananas?

i have no doubt that these people have good intentions, but good intentions often have unintended consequences.

sssssso... i can see a country with a more market oriented tradition like england getting fed up in part with the central planning.

which to me was maybe the wrong play—the right play would have been to exert influence to liberalize the whole market. and thus you’d get whichever banana was the best offer on that day, and new connectors, and less bureaucracy and more innovations. maybe.

but itks hard to move a 20 or 21 nation bloc so i can see why it could get sisiphean (how do you spell that).

the austerity business was brutal. and i think prolonged the problems?

latin america was often like that in the grip of the imf. the foreign debts were orders of magnitude bigger than the economy itself.

some like argentina declared their independence, refused to pay, and ended in the shit.

others renegotiated, opened up their markets, freed up productivity, and are doing great, the debt is there but no longer a problem.

seems to me the eu did not give greece and lot of options yeah...

SO, since you mention the commonwealth, independent trade deals were not allowed, then?

i can see how it began to chafe...

Quote:
Aren't you some Irish-Egyptian born in England? Not even pure. lol

lmfao
Old 02.26.2019, 06:24 PM   #160
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The one thing I do have trouble with as a Leave voter who sees my opposition to the EU in 'Leftist' terms is that my vote has undoubtedly benefitted the Right more than it has the Left, although I think this is largely down to prominent Euro-sceptic figures on the Left (like Corbyn) shying away from the debate in the build-up to the referendum, essentially handing the Brexit campaign to figures like Farage and Boris Johnson.

But I still stand by my decision and only wish arguments like the one made below had been more widely published

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/1...a-real-brexit/
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth