Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page hey what do you think of this?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.08.2006, 06:49 AM   #1
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
lab report for biology

Lab Report:
Food Tests

Introduction: This is the first experiment of the first unit in the year 10 MYP biology course, digestion. The experiment

Aim: The aim of this experiment is to research which substances are found in different foods. To do this we will test different types of foods, starch, sugar, protein and fat with different chemicals to find out which substances are in those foods.

Hypothesis: I think that in our test for starch, when iodine is added, the food will turn blue/black. I predict that the lipids (fats) in the filter paper test will turn translucent and I also predict that the colours of all the chemicals poured into the negative control test should stay unchanged.

Apparatus:

For all of the food tests (except for fat) we used:
  • Test tubes (3 for each experiment)
  • Test tube rack
  • Pipette
  • Iodine solution (for starch)
  • Fehlings A+B solution (for reducing sugars)
  • Sodium Hydroxide + Copper Sulphate solution (for proteins)
  • Starch, sugar, protein dissolved in water
  • Water bath
For the filter paper test for fat, we used:
· Filter paper
· Fat dissolved in water
· Pipette

Method:
Test for Starch: Three test tubes, one test tube rack, starch dissolved in water, cereal, water and iodine solution were taken. In the first test tube, crushed cornflakes (starch) were added; around five drops of iodine were poured and mixed with the cornflakes. In the second tube the negative control test was done. Water was poured into the test tube and iodine was added, this test is necessary because it determines if the solution is right. The positive control test was done in the third test tube. In the positive control test iodine was added to starch solution. The positive control test is important because it determines whether the results are correct or not. The results for all the three tests were recorded in a table.
Test for reducing sugars: and Fehlings A+B solution (this test could also be done with Benedicts solution instead of Fehlings A and B solutions) were taken. A few drops of ketchup were put in the first test tube. Five drops of Fehlings A and Fehlings B solution were added. The test tube was put in a water bath for 10 minutes. The negative control test was done in the second test tube (water + Fehlings A+B solution). Positive control test was done. Fehlings A and Fehlings B solution were added to Sugar, which was dissolved in water. The results for all three tests were recorded in a table.

Test for Protein: Three test tubes, one test tube rack; protein reduced in water, sodium hydroxide (NaOH), copper sulphate solution ( CuSO4) and a piece of cheese (protein) were added. The first test was the test with real food. The piece of cheese was taken and put into a test tube. Five drops of (NaOH) were added and the test tube was shaken. After a few minutes of shaking the tube, five drops of (CuSO4) were added. The test tube was put in a water bath for ten minutes. The negative control test was done in the second test tube (water + CuSO4+ NaOH). Positive test was done in the third test tube, protein which was dissolved in water was poured into the test tube, and Sodium Hydroxide and Copper Sulphate solution were added. The results for the three tests were recorded in a table.

Test for fat: for these test three filter papers, fat dissolved in water, water and a piece of bacon was taken. For the test with real foods the piece of bacon was rubbed on the paper. The negative test was done; a few drops of water were poured on the filter paper. The positive control test was done, fast dissolved in water was poured onto the filter paper. The three results were recorded in a table.

Results:

Number
Food Test
Method
Test with real food
Colour-VE (negative)
Colour+VE
(positive)

Starch
Iodine Solution
Blue/Black
Yellow
Blue/Black

Reducing
Sugars
Fehlings
A+B
Orange/Green
Stayed blue
Orange

Proteins
Sodium Hydroxide+
Copper Sulphate solution.
Brown/Green

Neutral
Brown/Green

Lipids
(fats)
Filter paper test
Translucent
Stayed the same
Translucent

Conclusion: By doing this experiment I found that all of these foods should be included in a balanced diet, I think that you should eat less fat in your diet and more proteins because they are good for you and fat is bad. In my hypothesis I said that the starch will turn blue black and it did. The fat turned translucent and the negative tests stayed the same, so I was right with my predictions. To sum up I think that in your balanced diet you should follow the food pyramid and eat the same amounts of different foods.

king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2006, 11:57 AM   #2
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe you could post it in a color we can see?
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I did that experiment at school many years ago. I must have been twelve at the time. Chemistry should be an absolutely fascinating subject, but tribute must be given to my tutor at the time for making it seem so incredibly dull. No matter what experiment was being performed, I used to wait until the tutor had left the room and add some acid to the mix (usually sulfuric, although I dreamt that one day it would be hydrofluoric. Alas, it did not come to pass). Anything from white noxious froth to clouds of greenish gas would be resultant, which provided no end of top notch fun.*

The laboratory tables mustn't have been cleaned for years, because you clould knock over a bunsen burner and momentarily see the whole 20 foot of the things go up in a variety of flaming, gaseous hues. Super larks.**

*I do not in any way advise or condone the behaviour reported. It is of course irresponsible and reckless. Acid is not a thing to be played with.

**The same goes for that.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2006, 11:59 AM   #4
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
you cant see that?
Old 10.08.2006, 12:00 PM   #5
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I did that experiment at school many years ago. I must have been twelve at the time. Chemistry should be an absolutely fascinating subject, but tribute must be given to my tutor at the time for making it seem so incredibly dull. No matter what experiment was being performed, I used to wait until the tutor had left the room and add some acid to the mix (usually sulfuric, although I dreamt that one day it would be hydrofluoric. Alas, it did not come to pass). Anything from white noxious froth to clouds of greenish gas would be resultant, which provided no end of fun.*

The laboratory tables mustn't have been cleaned for years, because you clould knock over a bunsen burner and momentarily see the whole 20 foot of the things go up in a variety of flaming, gaseous hues. Super larks.**

*I do not in any way advise or condone the behaviour reported. It is of course irresponsible and reckless. Acid is not a thing to be played with.

**The same goes for that.

this is for biology not chemistry, and yeah i did it aages ago, now i had to do it again ...
Old 10.08.2006, 12:00 PM   #6
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Nope.
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
this is for biology not chemistry, and yeah i did it aages ago, now i had to do it again ...

We did our chemistry introduction with food experiments, so it reminded me of chemistry.

How did you get the bullet points? I never knew the forum had that facility? Or did you just copy and paste from an original document?

Old 10.08.2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
Conclusion: By doing this experiment I found that all of these foods should be included in a balanced diet, I think that you should eat less fat in your diet and more proteins because they are good for you and fat is bad. In my hypothesis I said that the starch will turn blue black and it did. The fat turned translucent and the negative tests stayed the same, so I was right with my predictions. To sum up I think that in your balanced diet you should follow the food pyramid and eat the same amounts of different foods.

The report's cool, but do you mind if I just call this bit into question? It's incorrect to say that fat is bad for you, because we all need a fat intake, and it's equally unfair to say that protein is good for you, because like everything else it's possible to take too much.

In fact, too much protein can put bodily bodily systems under stress. Also, Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level can result in the development of fat and muscle mass.

I know you also mention that things should be taken in proportion, which is of course correct, but if your school is anything like mine, then the good/bad issue is the sort of thing they'll criticise with glee.

Old 10.08.2006, 12:33 PM   #9
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Quote:
We did our chemistry introduction with food experiments, so it reminded me of chemistry.

How did you get the bullet points? I never knew the forum had that facility? Or did you just copy and paste from an original document?

i copied it from word..

Conclusion: By doing this experiment I found that all of these foods should be included in a balanced diet, I think that you should eat less fat in your diet and more proteins because they are good for you and fat is bad. In my hypothesis I said that the starch will turn blue black and it did. The fat turned translucent and the negative tests stayed the sam
e, so I was right with my predictions. To sum up I think that in your balanced diet you should follow the food pyramid and eat the same amounts of different foods.
Old 10.08.2006, 12:34 PM   #10
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Quote:

i copied from word

oh crap, that thing was supposed to say that fat is bad for you if you eat it a lot. aah i cant be bothered to correct it...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth