Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2008, 08:12 AM   #21
sarramkrop

That's awesome.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 09:11 AM   #22
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
contact mic
http://home.earthlink.net/~erinys/contactmic.html

Electric string instruments

Now that you have a bow you might as well make something to use your bow on.

Materials: contact mic, nylon string (weed trimmer string works well), wood for body, wood for neck, screws, eye screws for tuners (

), metal coat hanger.
1) make contact mic according to the link above.
2) Screw (or attach in any way you see fit) the neck onto the body.
3) Attach your bridge to the desired spot on the body of your instrument. Make it just a little bit taller than the neck.
4) Attach a screw for each string behind the bridge. Tie your string(s) around this screw(s).
5) Sit the contact mic on the other side of the bridge so that the top of it touches the string(s). The pressure of the string should hold it in place, but if not put screws on either side of it to keep it from moving, but don't put too much pressure on the contact mic or it will stop working.

Here's a simple single string instrument I made:

6) at the top of the neck (on the bottom side) attach the eye screws to use as tuners. Use the coat hanger wire as a nut. Drill a hole for each string behind the nut and run the strings through it to the bottom side of the neck and tie them to the tuner(s)
Yadayadayada...

Here's a picture of another one...

If you want to attach frets wire coat hangers work quite well.
Use this to calculate distance
: http://www.windworld.com/tools/fretcalc.htm

sorry if all this doesn't make any sense. I'm too tired and drunk to write proper instructions.

hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 09:30 AM   #23
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
MEGA Kalimba

Make contact mic according to: http://home.earthlink.net/~erinys/contactmic.html

Attach contact mic to piece of wood using tape, glue, clamp, whatever strikes your fancy.

Screw a bunch of crap (bobby pins, cymbals, springs, saw blades, jaw harps, music boxes work well) to your piece of wood. Remember wide and long means low tones, short and thin means high tones. blah blah blafdhlk..

Note how the contact mic is held down with a clamp. This is convenient for adjusting the pressure on the mic (which can seriously alter the tone instrument)...

These are my favorite instruments in the wide world. They both have such a wide spectrum of sound I never get bored of them.

If you're very patient you can even tune them.

Hear my instruments:
www.myspace.com/leadsister2
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 09:45 AM   #24
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Something I worked on earlier.

First you'll need bread

This can be white, brown or granary, although personally I prefer white.

Pre sliced is fine, but an ucut crusty bloomer is best if available.

If you've gone for the bloomer option use a sharp knife with a serated edge to cut four slices. Ideally about an inch in thickness.

Try not to cut too close to the ends of the loaf, in order to avoid large differences in slice slize.

Spread a thin layer of butter or (if you're working class) 'marg' onto a single side of two of the slices.

You should now cut a block of cheese (mature cheddar is a good option here) into a series of slices, roughly half an inch in thickness.

Arrange these slices onto the two 'butterd' (we call it buttered even if 'marg' has been used) sides of bread. The buttered surface should now be covered with overlapping layers of cheese - to a height of approximately an inch.

The two unbuttered slices of bread should now be spread on one side with a jarredpickle of your choice (Branston is a good option, but others, such as 'Mustard' pickle are fine also)

Place the pickle covered sides of the bread directly so that they make contact with the cheese that you've placed on top of the 'buttered' slices of bread.

You should now have two units of cheese covered on either side by bread.

Place these on top of one another and flatten slightly with a clean palm

Cut diagonally using the same knife used to cut both the bread and the cheese into two.

Seperate the units and place side by side on a large dinner plate

Take to bedroom and place beside computer.

Eat.

Serves one

Flatten the top of
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 10:28 AM   #25
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Hat and Bread wins the thread.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 10:50 AM   #26
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Do your own graphic score, using this example as a template (from the Scratch Orchestra's "Treatise":

Old 06.16.2008, 10:53 AM   #27
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Glice is right except for the sound guy part, I saw a female sound person once.
Old 06.16.2008, 01:03 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Glice is right except for the sound guy part, I saw a female sound person once.

No you didn't. Honestly, there are no female soundguys. In the world. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:09 PM   #29
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
He's right. It definitely wasn't a sound man. Was probably his wife or girlfriend or mum or something.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:11 PM   #30
girlgun
invito al cielo

girlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's asses
i know a few soundgirls.
girlgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:12 PM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Hat and Bread wins the thread.

seconded, glice won the first round because seriously, hour and a half and a three minute soundcheck.

i took all but 5 minutes to unpack, place, plug and power my whole rig and took me less to dismount it. and i made an even bigger racket than them.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:14 PM   #32
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
No you didn't. Honestly, there are no female soundguys. In the world. Ever.

I know what I saw, it was at the Breeders (and probably 1/3 of audience was lesbian) and the person working the board was a girl, a very un-girl-looking girl, but a girl none the less.

Oh, to add, at that show, the opening band had all these stuffed animals and toys and shit and christmas lights set up on their amps and as the were packing up they'd have to run back out and grab some toy or light they had forgotten. Only had 2 pedals each, though.
Old 06.16.2008, 01:16 PM   #33
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
www.myspace.com
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:16 PM   #34
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Sock monkeys

http://breezeb.tripod.com/crafts/sockmonkey.html

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:17 PM   #35
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
oh fuck yeah, sock monkeys
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:23 PM   #36
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I love them.

Currently I'm in the process of making a third, but it's going slow.

I spend probably 6 hours just on the mouth (it's different from the one above, it's going to be a stoner monkey)

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:53 PM   #37
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
send one over here emmah!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth