Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Some unheard Mars Volta !
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.02.2009, 07:03 PM   #1
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
I copped this from another music site and figure since the link is readily seen on the guy's myspace music site I link at the bottom, it's OK to make available here.

The Mars Volta
BBC Session
Maida Vale
London
England
3rd September 2003

Rebroadcast BBC Radio 29th December 2008

1. DJ Introduction
2. Eriatarka
3. DJ Chat
4. Obelisk
5. Cicatriz
6. DJ Outro

Lineage:
DVB-T>Topfield TF5800 PVR>.rec file (Transport Stream)>USB>PC>ProjectX>mp2 file (192kbps)>mp3directcut (Trim start and end)>mp2 file

Notes:

The DJ says this is from 2004, but it appears that they didn't tour the UK in 2004 so this seems unlikely. I've found a reference to a Maida Vale session 3rd September 2003 which is most probably this one based on comparison of the tracks listed at one of the torrent sites.

The tracks broadcast originally, surrounded by an interview, were:
Eriatarka
Cicatriz ESP Part 1
Cicatriz ESP Part 2

So I assume that the unbroadcast track was the 30 minute+ Obelisk.

Two Maida Vale tracks were released on a live EP in 2003, Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of) and Drunkship of Lanterns, but these are not included in this session. Ciacatriz ESP is on the EP but is from a Live performance rather than a Maida Vale Session based on what I've read on the web. I've searched as best as I can and can't fine any record of these tracks being released.

This was broadcast on Rob Da Bank & Friends special called Raiders Of The Lost Archives broadcast BBC Radio 1 on 29th December 2008 where 'rare' sessions were broadcast (others were Mogwai, Radiohead, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/robdabank/t ... ds_raiders).

Evidently the Mars Volta recorded over an hour of music for this session and this was the first time it had been broadcast in its entirity.

I tried splitting the chat from the music, but the DJ chats over the end of each track slightly and I didn't feel I could do it satisfactorily using my limited knowledge of mp3directcut, so its torrented as a single file.

Radio 1 broadcasts on FM, DAB, Digital Satellite and Cable. This is a direct capture of the mp2 stream from the DVB-T recording.

Not a big fan and I've relied on the BBC website for the tracklisting. I did once see At The Drive-In live and liked them. Preparing to this and listening to it was a good way to get me through a New Year's hangover.

Link to the mp2 file...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P2LAGGLW

Dude's myspace...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=328 39557

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2009, 07:05 PM   #2
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
It'd better remain unheard.
Old 01.02.2009, 07:08 PM   #3
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Whadaya mean by that ?

Are they not your cuppa tea ?

Old 01.02.2009, 07:12 PM   #4
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
not exactly no. hahahahaha
I doubt very much you find anybody interested by this on here but let's see.
Old 01.02.2009, 07:15 PM   #5
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
I was just about to post that....
Old 01.02.2009, 07:16 PM   #6
reginald
stalker

Oh Well. No biggie.

I'm often surprised what I do read on here as far as interests goes. It runs the gamut.

Old 01.02.2009, 07:17 PM   #7
greedrex
invito al cielo

yep that's right, just a bunch of elitist twats.
Old 01.02.2009, 07:20 PM   #8
reginald
stalker

Quote:
yep that's right, just a bunch of elitist twats.

To the humble as well.

As I said, the gamut.

Old 01.02.2009, 09:02 PM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, as soon as I saw this thread, I thought, "I'm going to reply with 'I wish ALL Mars Volta was unheard.'" But everyone beat me to it.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2009, 09:32 PM   #10
reginald
stalker

What's with the dislike of The Mars Volta by SY fans ?

I mean, so far greedex has pinned it. What's the collective hate about ?

Is it something personal ?

Old 01.02.2009, 09:42 PM   #11
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
They're beyond wanky. And ATD-i were so much better.
Old 01.02.2009, 10:06 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's TOTALLY personal. Ever since they did that interview saying all Sonic Youth fans just live on messageboards posting shit about other bands.

EDIT: That's not true. At least the bit about them saying that in an interview. Mars Volta are hideous though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2009, 11:07 PM   #13
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I actually knew of Mars Volta before I became a huge Sonic Youth fan. Didn't like them then... don't like them now.

It didn't help that the person who tried to turn me on to them was convinced they were THE greatest plant/animal/object to ever grace this Earth. I was expecting to like them at least a little after all that praise.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2009, 11:10 PM   #14
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

repped
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2009, 11:40 PM   #15
sarramkrop

I don't like them. I don't want them. They're not good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2009, 11:52 PM   #16
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Yeah I am so amped to NOT hear this!
Old 01.03.2009, 12:15 AM   #17
WHOREOHSCOPE
children of satan

WHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's asses
Tremulant EP .. De-loused in the Comatorium .... Frances the Mute... & Amputechture are all beautiful releases. I enjoy them all.

The general disdain for them, I find amusing , but I'm indifferent; its subjective, hate what you will. However, the listed albums aren't trivial rock music or pseudo prog-rock or any other pretentious description you could stamp upon it. They're creative releases whether or not you accept it, its just not an obscure thing to reference, or what have you.... the sound doesn't initially scream innovative for some reason, well I wonder who has been listening..... because it generally is. Though you may definitely say what you will about the Bedlam in Goliath, the new percussion doesn't fit so much, as well is its general tone ruins its overall potential....

The Fall are one of my favorite bands; avid fans should get the hint.

Diversity is nice, as is individuality, real individuality.... but I know the arguement against TMV and those who've developed valid opinions based on listening experience are entitled to despising their existence and encouraged.
WHOREOHSCOPE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2009, 01:01 AM   #18
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
It didn't help that the person who tried to turn me on to them was convinced they were THE greatest plant/animal/object to ever grace this Earth. I was expecting to like them at least a little after all that praise.
That is what every single one of their fans is like.
Old 01.03.2009, 01:05 AM   #19
WHOREOHSCOPE
children of satan

WHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's asses
ZEROpumpkins, I'm a fan and I have NO favorite band, The Mars Volta isn't that in my mind.......
WHOREOHSCOPE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2009, 05:31 AM   #20
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
deloused is pretty good. the second album is forgettable the rest meh... and i like the fall too!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth