Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Xbox 360
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.01.2009, 09:24 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
This might not be the right forum to ask this in...

But the other day I found myself wanting an Xbox 360, and then read about the myriad of technical issues (the "red ring of death" and so on) that have lead the failure of 30-33% of all 360s sold.

I'm not a position to spend $299 or more on something that prone to failure. On the other hand, I talked to someone today about it and he says he only knows one person who had issues, and he got his fairly early.

So my question is this: Has the severity of the issues with the 360 been blown out of proportion by the media/internet?

To be honest though, I don't care half as much I did yesterday, because I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I can just play games on my PC, since most of the newest/most popular games (Grand Theft Auto IV, Dead Space, Fallout 3, etc.) are available for both PCs and consoles now anyway. With the lastest features and technology, the line between computers and game consoles has been blurring.
Old 03.01.2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Wait until the PS3's price drops (hopefully soon) and buy one of those. That's what I'm doing. Same games and you get Blu-Ray player too.
Old 03.01.2009, 09:28 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They announced JUST TODAY, THIS MORNING, that Microsoft finally fixed the "red ring of death" issue. Look it up.

360 is the only system worth bothering with, though I don't have one, since the DS is the best system of all time, but clearly you want a home console. So, yeah, 360 is the only home console worth a fuck.

Also, blu-ray player?! People actually use that piece of shit? "OH MAN, IT'S A BIT OF A SHARPER IMAGE, AND THIS HOLLYWOOD SHITFEST ONLY COSTS ME $20 MORE!!" Well, I guess I better sell all my DVD's (I still have tons of VHS) so I can watch the "future" of movies, Blu-Ray! Hahaha. (no offense, SY37, I'm just making a "point")

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 09:37 PM   #4
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
i saved myself a decent amount of money by purchasing the cheap version. $200. it doesn't include the hard drive which can be a pain if you're into online gaming. but i'm not. to be honest, i only bought it for sf4 and re5 coming out.

but ive heard the price is going to drop soon. or you can be an idiot and pay a lot of money for a ps3
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 09:42 PM   #5
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
PSWii60 owner postin' here. I believe it's either the Jasper or Falcon chipsets that are RROD proof, which I think are the main ones being pushed now. I wouldn't be worried about that.

As for console exclusives, both systems have great ones. I prefer the 360 controller though so that plays a factor as well.

360 has some great exclusives: Ninja Blade, Banjo Kazooie: N&B, Ninja Gaiden II and Dead Rising come to mind

PS3 has some great ones too: LittleBigPlanet, BlazBlue and Ratchet & Clank: Tools Of Destruction come to mind.

Both consoles are great.
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 11:45 PM   #6
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
This might not be the right forum to ask this in...

But the other day I found myself wanting an Xbox 360, and then read about the myriad of technical issues (the "red ring of death" and so on) that have lead the failure of 30-33% of all 360s sold.

I'm not a position to spend $299 or more on something that prone to failure. On the other hand, I talked to someone today about it and he says he only knows one person who had issues, and he got his fairly early.

So my question is this: Has the severity of the issues with the 360 been blown out of proportion by the media/internet?

To be honest though, I don't care half as much I did yesterday, because I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I can just play games on my PC, since most of the newest/most popular games (Grand Theft Auto IV, Dead Space, Fallout 3, etc.) are available for both PCs and consoles now anyway. With the lastest features and technology, the line between computers and game consoles has been blurring.

lol with 3 of my ffriends, I've seen 8 RRODS
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 11:47 PM   #7
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
but ive heard the price is going to drop soon. or you can be an idiot and pay a lot of money for a ps3

I was goin' to buy a PS3 regardless of price but I was lucky and got an 80 gig for 250...so yeh.

EDIT: to atsoncpark, blu ray is slightly overrated(imo) for movies but for video games it honestly can and should be the future. With the capacity being 25+ gigs I think people actually have the chance and space to creat some real fucking awesome games.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2009, 12:00 AM   #8
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
^^ w/ dual layer blu-rays you can get up to 50GB
Old 03.02.2009, 12:07 AM   #9
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
^i read somewhere...correct me if im wrong...that if mgs4 were converted to dvd in its uncompressed format it would take up like 7-8 dvd's or something

and the technical issues, hidden costs, and nothing interesting coming in the future is what convinced me not to get a 360...though i did play gears of war at my friends today and had a damn good time...that and fable are probably the only exclusives on the system "worth a damn"
Old 03.02.2009, 12:08 AM   #10
vulva
the end of the ugly

Disagreed, Ninja Blade's demo has been extremely fun.
Old 03.02.2009, 12:16 AM   #11
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
shit, you know...i realize i kind of become a jerk when these conversations come up...i just feel the need to defend my ps3 cause it always under attack...and i love it...oh so dearly...it's just misunderstood!...so anyways, im removing myself from this one...enjoy whatever you end up going for....just know that team ICO is working on a new game for ps3
Old 03.02.2009, 01:24 AM   #12
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I'm not a big HD fanboy, but DVD's are going to die eventually and I might as well keep up with the curve. Plus, I think Sony is actually close to (or already) making a profit on PS3 systems instead of losing like $300 for each on they sell...so price drop soon plox?
Old 03.02.2009, 01:29 AM   #13
vulva
the end of the ugly

Price drop will be in april
Old 03.02.2009, 01:31 AM   #14
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

I can wait that long. The only two reasons I want one are RE5 and the Ghosbusters game.
Old 03.02.2009, 01:39 AM   #15
vulva
the end of the ugly

Ghostbusters is gonna be a long ass time, trust me. RE5 is gonna be great.
Old 03.02.2009, 01:41 AM   #16
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Says June to coincide with 25th anniversary of film, but yeah, I'll believe it when I have both PS3 and Wii version in my hands.
Old 03.02.2009, 02:34 AM   #17
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Blu-Ray means nothing in video games. It is just a storage device. It also takes longer to read than dvds. That's why you have to install games on ps3. Take sf4 for example. Both platforms have an optional install. If you install on the ps3 it lowers loading times from about 30s to 10s. On the 360 there is no noticeable imporivement because before the installastion it already took around 10 seconds.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2009, 05:40 AM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Yeah, I'm not a big HD fanboy, but DVD's are going to die eventually and I might as well keep up with the curve. Plus, I think Sony is actually close to (or already) making a profit on PS3 systems instead of losing like $300 for each on they sell...so price drop soon plox?

Not specific to games Consoles but the DVD is one of the most industry manipulated media going. It has next to no durability. Even if you're careful and have a good player the likelihood of a disc playing perfectly after repeated playing over a couple of years is slight. The industry forced the market by withdrawing VHS, which may lack the audio/visual quality of DVD but is infinitely more durable (I have tapes that are twenty five years old which still play perfectly well after literally hundreds of plays).

The sooner the industry moves away from discs and embraces some other kind of storage more fully, the sooner we can move away from the utter stupidity that is DVDs. Blu-Ray is just a further step in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, this was slightly off topic, but anyway. Rant over.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2009, 06:08 AM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Team Ico excites me. But that, Littlebigplanet, Valkyrie Chronicles, and Disgaea 3 are the only games on the PS3 that seem exciting (besides the multiplatform games... RE5, SF4).

The wii just sucks.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2009, 10:35 PM   #20
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone I know that has a 360 has had the red ring of death problem. Some of them multiple times. I had to send mine in for it too. Thankfully it was still under warranty. I guess they're selling consoles that don't have that problem now. At least I fucking hope they are, cause a lot of people got screwed by that.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth