Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth do Dylan
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.21.2007, 09:16 AM   #61
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.myspace.com/imnottheresoundtrack
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2007, 09:57 PM   #62
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?c=6&id=15695

Sonic Youth, Iעm Not There Audio
by Staff | 10.22.2007

“I’m Not There” is considered one of Bob Dylan’s lost gems. Having been recorded during the sessions for The Basement Tapes, then discarded, it can only be found by the most ardent Dylan completists on the bootlegs The Genuine Basement Tapes or A Tree With Roots, so itt seems fitting then that this nugget of insider Dylan knowledge should be used not only as the title of the upcoming Todd Haynes biopic, but also on the soundtrack.

Excavating the track, and adding their own indelible stamp is Sonic Youth. Where most of his songs are so distinctly Dylan-esque, Sonic Youth have the luxury of covering a song that very few people have heard, giving them a little more freedom with the track. The group take the easy-going vocals and apply that feeling to the whole song, shuffling through and almost making it sound like one of their own mellower compositions.

| “I’m Not There” | WM | QT | Flash |
Old 10.25.2007, 12:25 PM   #63
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Eddie Vedder & The Million Dollar Bashers - All Along The Watchtower
(The Million Dollar Bashers are Nels Cline, Lee Ranaldo & Steve Shelley)

Jeff Tweedy - Simple Twist of Fate

download these promo tracks at
http://www.culturebully.com/im-not-t...udio-available
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2007, 02:26 PM   #64
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...-not-there-ost

Various Artists
I'm Not There OST
[Sony; 2007]
Rating: 8.0

I'm Not There is director Todd Haynes' third music biopic, after Superstar in 1987 and Velvet Goldmine in 1998. In each of those films, the main subject-- the celebrity at the center-- has been altered or is somehow absent: Superstar recounted Karen Carpenter's death from anorexia with only Barbie dolls, which continually prevents it from being officially released. The Velvet Goldmine traces David Bowie's rise and fall throughout the 1970s, but the singer threatened to sue and refused to license his songs. So Haynes took even more liberties with the story, which involved aliens, assassins, and an ongoing affair with Iggy Pop. By all accounts, I'm Not There, his new film about Bob Dylan,continues this sort of meaningful absence, casting six actors to play the folk singer in various stages of his life and career (essentially the same thing), and literalizing the mercurial nature of his identity. Likewise, the soundtrack for I'm Not There casts 29 singers to re-create that singular voice in all its permutations and variations, with surprising results.
Dylan and his music have become so ingrained in American pop culture that it's easy to forget what a weirdo he was, personally and musically. Drawing from a folkie predilection for overstatement, he wrote tons of verses per song, in oblique and impenetrable metaphors, words collapsing upon words, barbed with inside jokes, private accusations, and masked characters. He sang these songs in a nasal voice that became more and more of a defense mechanism as the years went on, suggesting a self-conscious lapse into self-parody. Culling songs from his legendary albums as well as from obscure bootlegs, I'm Not There covers nearly every fabled aspect of his career: his earnest folkie beginnings, his electric post-Newport days, his conversion to Christianity, his 80s nadir, and finally, his current status as an eccentric éminence grise. In taking such a broad sampling of songs, I'm Not There persuasively argues that each phase is as important and potentially rewarding as any other.
Because Dylan wrote such dense and distinctive songs, covering his work necessarily involves as much impersonation as interpretation. In fact, the best songs on I'm Not There are the ones where the artists seem to be having a great time being Bob. Chan Marshall mimics his cadences on "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again", and her pronunciation of the world "mama" is one of the album's best moments. Craig Finn sings "Won't You Please Crawl Out Your Window?" with a chuckle in his voice, as the Hold Steady relocate the song to the Minneapolis streets of Separation Sunday. And Stephen Malkmus, who gets a whopping three tracks, gives some of his best and weirdest performances since going solo.
The cast of I'm Not There is admirably diverse, mixing relative newcomers like Karen O and Mason Jennings with veterans like Willie Nelson, whose despairing "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)", from 1978's Street Legal, is a good argument for a full-length collaboration with Calexico. Roger McGuinn's voice has aged considerably over the years, but he sounds both surefooted and surprisingly tender on "One More Cup of Coffee", another perfect match with Calexico. And Richie Havens' uniquely jumpy energy jolts "Tombstone Blues", surpassing mere imitation and ratcheting up its wordy tension.
Perhaps it's a testament to the potency of his peculiarities-- rather than to the strength of his convictions-- that Dylan's songs are so successfully coverable in so many different styles. They're challenging undertakings, but possible, inspiring varying degrees adventurousness in some artists and reverence in others. Despite a stellar backing band (including members of Sonic Youth and Television), Eddie Vedder's "All Along the Watchtower" sounds just like every other version of the song and Mason Jennings can't do anything with the iconic "The Times They Are a'Changin'" other than render it faithfully. It's a crazy, mixed-up world, though, when Jack Johnson's medley of "Mama, You've Been on My Mind/A Fraction of Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie" has more smarts and soul than Sufjan Stevens' "Ring Them Bells", which begins as a fairly uninspired cover but sails off into a tediously overwritten coda that strains patience and good will. But that's really the only truly objectionable track on this long album, which sounds much better on your stereo than it did on paper. With so many different types of musicians contributing to these 34 songs, I'm Not There could have turned out like so many inconsistent and forgettable tribute soundtracks-- listened to once or twice, then shelved for eternity-- but instead it plays like a real album, focused on the music and leaving the myth to the movie.

-Stephen M. Deusner, October 30, 2007
Old 11.01.2007, 08:36 AM   #65
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
Entire album is streaming on spinner (sorry if this is already posted) Sounds pretty damn good to me. Im pretty psyched for the concert next week, hopefully we get some "surprise guests".
http://spinner.aol.com/artists/new-releases-full-cds
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2007, 03:35 AM   #66
Moshe
Super Moderator

Lee and Malkmus outtake on itunes:

11/01/2007

I'm Not There: 3 Extra Bonus Tracks On Itunes Edition

Lo and behold, more Dylan. Shocking, right? Looks like the ITunes version of I'm Not There: Original Soundtrack has three extra songs on it. You have to purchase the entire album to buy them, so we're not spending the dough (sorry, ad free at the moment), but you obviously can hear snippets on Itunes.

The additional tracks are Calexico's version of the instrumental "Main Title Theme (Billy)" from Dylan's soundtrack to "Pat Garett & Billy The Kid," the version of which can be heard in the movie, and which is actually a different song from the track Los Lobos covered (simply titled "Billy," their's is a mexi-melt version of the song with lyrics). One of the principal soundtrack producers Joe Henry does a beautiful version of "One Too Many Mornings" (from The Times They Are A-Changin' )and it's nice to see him represented with his own Dylan cover. Lastly we have yet another Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo rendition of one more "Eat The Document" outtake, "What Kind Of Friend Is This?" Thanks to the reader for the tip. Feel free to send us the tracks (burn them to CD to lose the DRM and then rip).
Old 11.03.2007, 02:06 PM   #67
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
I think this is a bullshit way to treat the customer. Hopefully they will surface on a cd single or something. I'm not buying the itunes version.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2007, 05:57 AM   #69
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
is Kim who plays the acoustic guitar on the sy version of "i'm not there"?
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2007, 07:23 PM   #70
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i think she's the noise guitar (like on 'rats'). maybe lee on acoustic?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2007, 08:27 PM   #71
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
or maybe Mark
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 05:58 AM   #72
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa
or maybe Mark

no, Mark is not listed.
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth