Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Nas vs. Bob Dylan
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.10.2006, 06:16 PM   #61
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I fail to see the intelligence or complexity in such words like
"O what a thrill inside a bitch feel
Gotta be strong and handle, it is real
Pussy killz
Mad shots keep a nigga open
Bitch have a nigga’s gun smoking
pussy killz"

seems to be leaning more towards the "sexist retard generic black rapper"

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 06:17 PM   #62
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I just edited my last post to include this bolded part because I feared you would think that when I mentioned PE & I now see from your last post, ted, that you are all up-in-arms that I mentioned them.

I know you were just trying to educate us about some of the parallels of Nas' message to some of Dylan's more radical sentiments & like I wrote before, he is, from what I've read, more gifted of a rapper than most, but I still prefer Public Enemy for meaningful raps.
That may sound whitebread (since many white people also like PE) & dated to you, but it's my opinion.

By the way, Dylan can often be a cynical even hateful, untrusting, crotchety fuck in many of his songs.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 06:19 PM   #63
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Pussy killz
pussy killz"

Well, Robert Johnson & Led Zeppelin expressed it more poetically. Nas is decidely more literal.
Old 09.10.2006, 06:20 PM   #64
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_kennedy
That tops it all - the Public Enemy defense. People that know nothing about rap always say they like PE. Thats because they say things liberals think that underpriviledged black people should be saying. Everyone else is ignored - Nas being a prime example.

The thread title IS absurd, but no one would have looked in on it if I had just mentioned Nas. I had a point though: not so much that Nas is BETTER than Dylan (thats illogical because they do almost totally different things), but that Nas and other rappers lyric's are very good and extremely complex and intelligent, but are never recognised as such by most white rock and punk fans.
You're right there as in fact mysoginy is pointed out more when it comes to rappers than when it's an obvious feature in a white rock band's lyrics,sure.What do you do of the vile homophobia of certain rappers though?I'd be interested to hear.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 06:33 PM   #65
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Pussy killz
pussy killz"

WHAT IS THERE IN THOSE WORDS THAT IS MYSOGINIST?!

Read:

This man leans in, his boys laughing
Now I'm the spokesperson for Black men, this always happens
Says, "Since all Black women care about is who got dough
And all we do is call them either bitch or a Black hoe"
I say first brotha you ain't gotta be that cold
Since you ignorant, I'ma show you how the facts go
The biggest example in scandal of history
Were Monica Lewinksy or Donald Trump's pimping spree
Most woman who love Jeevanji of Gucci
Are pretentious non-Black groupies or floozies
But who are we to blame, not the dames
It's a man-made game, in essence our woman the same
Beautiful creatures, Black girls birthed the earth
So they deserve to earn man's purse
Matter fact, I'm about to go shopping with my dime

by NAS

You have to have a pretty racist worldview to automatically label someone as mysoginist because they are a black rapper.

ted_kennedy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 06:35 PM   #66
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
But, yeah, one area where nas is at fault, like so many other rappers, is his homophobia. I can't wait for the day when I see a mainstream, authentic, talented rapper make a stand on the gay issue.

Edit: whoever it eventually is will have to be brave because it will amount to career suicide, sadly.
Old 09.10.2006, 06:36 PM   #67
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

You have to have a pretty racist worldview to automatically label someone as mysoginist because they are a black rapper.

no. i'm labeling his lyrics as mysoginist because of the mysoginistic content of the lyrics, wise guy.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 09.10.2006, 06:38 PM   #68
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Bob Dylan and NaS are competely uncomparable; however, the discussion of whether Nas' lyrics are considered "unintelligent" are completely mistaken. Do you make fun of Africans because most of them can't speak english? And because they can't speak english makes them unintelligent? His lyrics contain thousands of references that people don't understand unless they know what he's reffering to. Mad Lib? What's next Hayden? Mr. Lif?

I'm in complete support for NaS, he's an excellent rapper. I'd rep Ted for some of the points he made if he didn't make such a rediculous thread.
Old 09.10.2006, 06:39 PM   #69
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Eminem did it a bit with his duet with Elton John after he caught flack. I predict it's up his sleeve for when people start forgetting about him.

ted_kennedy did say that Dylan & Nas were ultimately incomparable himself.

my own trip, hardly anyone can handle this kind of truth:

John Lennon
Woman is the nigger of the world
Yes she is...think about it
Think about it...do something about it

We make her paint her face and dance
If she wont be a slave, we say that she dont love us
If shes real, we say shes trying to be a man
While putting her down, we pretend that shes above us

Woman is the nigger of the world...yes she is
If you dont believe me, take a look at the one youre with
Woman is the slave of the slaves
Ah, yeah...better scream about it

We make her bear and raise our children
And then we leave her flat for being a fat old mother hen
We tell her home is the only place she should be
Then we complain that shes too unworldly to be our friend

Woman is the nigger of the world...yes she is
If you dont believe me, take a look at the one youre with
Woman is the slave to the slaves
Yeah...alright...hit it!

We insult her every day on tv
And wonder why she has no guts or confidence
When shes young we kill her will to be free
While telling her not to be so smart we put her down for being so dumb

Yes she is...if you dont believe me, take a look at the one youre with
Woman is the slave to the slaves
Yes she is...if you believe me, you better scream about it

Old 09.10.2006, 06:41 PM   #70
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

K, show me where, I fail to see.
Old 09.10.2006, 06:42 PM   #71
k-krack
invito al cielo

I just showed you.
Pussy killz
pussy killz"

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 09.10.2006, 06:44 PM   #72
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Here's ten pence: I prefer Nas to Dylan. I wouldn't describe myself as a head though. And that's the very first time I've seen someone mention the 'PE defence' on the internet, although I've heard it dozens of times in the (so-called) real world.

There is a dearth of people who appreciate mainstream hip-hop on this forum, I think that's an entirely valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 06:47 PM   #73
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

Quote:
I just showed you.
Pussy killz
pussy killz"

It is a thrill, right?
Old 09.10.2006, 06:48 PM   #74
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
You're saying that we are intolerant because we dislike music. If I don't like Boredoms does that mean I hate Asians?

Troll somewhere else, plz.
Old 09.10.2006, 06:50 PM   #75
k-krack
invito al cielo

sure is a thrill.
well put Asche.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 09.10.2006, 07:00 PM   #76
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

No, I'm saying that YOU are racist and closed minded. I'm saying that most people on this board refuse to RECOGNISE that someone like Nas can be talented on their own terms.

What the fuck do you mean by troll? What is that?
Old 09.10.2006, 07:01 PM   #77
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No, I'm saying that YOU are racist and closed minded. I'm saying that most people on this board refuse to RECOGNISE that someone like Nas can be talented on their own terms.

What the fuck do you mean by troll? What is that?

But, I am not a racist. Calling someone a racist for not liking one particular black artist is the worst assumption one could make. You're a fucking moron.
Old 09.10.2006, 07:01 PM   #78
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

And track, you have a pretty shady world view if you consider language like that mysoginist just because it comes from a black rapper. Its sad that you have to be hostile to me because I called you on it.
Old 09.10.2006, 07:01 PM   #79
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Well, at this point, you're either a troll, or you're a racist or both, ted.

At the very mention of PE, you flew off the handle when I had just written that from what I had read of Nas he was a "gifted rapper."
Nas is funny & also a truth-teller, even when the truth, as he understands it, isn't pretty. His wordplay is good, but so is the writing of a lot of rappers. He's no genius; he's much too gangsta to be a genius & I don't buy into the "art as a mirror of society" defence. He does it because it's a proven formula to be hard because it sells records.

Public Enemy felt that, as artists, they had a duty to not just reflect the world around them, but to be visionaries.

If you'll recall, I also wrote that some of Dylan's lyrics were cynical & even hateful & that he was often a crotchety, untrusting fuck so it isn't like he smells like roses 100% of the time either.
Old 09.10.2006, 07:04 PM   #80
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
And track, you have a pretty shady world view if you consider language like that mysoginist just because it comes from a black rapper. Its sad that you have to be hostile to me because I called you on it.

Shady world view?

You have a terrible world view. You are like EyeballGrowth or SuchFriends. If not liking something moderately associated with african-americans makes someone a racist, then count me guilty. Count everyone guilty.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth