Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2022, 10:17 AM   #25101
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Darjeeling was OK, but still left me feeling like I am watching rich white people's problems.
Old 04.06.2022, 10:23 AM   #25102
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
for me his worst ones are isle of dogs (i didn't finish it after having defended his style, lmao. i just lost interest) and the darjeeling limited, which i finished but did nothing for me. wasn't in the mood for either i guess. big yawns.

I can understand Isle of Dogs but for me Darjeeling Limited is one of his best, alongside Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket.
Darjeeling is definitely a “confection,” but it’s also absolutely stuffed with real, human, emotional moments from the get-go (first scene after the short-film-style intro sequence, at least).
Darjeeling, like Tenenbaums, brings to mind JD Salinger and his fascination with the family dynamics of privileged over-achievers in existential crisis. You have several moments that really pull on the heartstrings and make you root for the characters. It’s detached but it still has that relatable punch of the real. Kind of the perfect balance in my opinion.

Quote:
anyway found this new yorker review that addresses the very points you and rob make about french disparch, like aesthetic distancing from reality, and excessive elaboration, etc. makes me want to rewatch it now.

and also i'll add... isn't distancing from reality what makes the aesthetic experience desirable? otherwise it's all cannibal holocaust in live 3d.

anyway check this if interested: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...ewheeling-film

the guy ends with this:

i just thought he makes a good point about the "heroism of beauty" which, maybe this movie isn't beautiful for all, but ok. i'll get the streaming service this summer and revisit.

Perfectly fair, but in my opinion, with Dispatch (and to some extent Grand Budapest Hotel, though that was a better film), Anderson has ramped this aesthetic up to the detriment of the core of the films. He’s continued to layer his creations with diorama atop diorama of these exquisite little facsimiles of reality. And sure, it’s a legitimate and not intrinsically negative stylistic decision, but it’s made his films increasingly less and less emotionally rewarding for me over time.

(I realize Darjeeling is super diorama-y at times, but still, it feels like an aesthetically enhanced vision of reality and real people; not a cardboard cutout doing its best impression thereof.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2022, 11:35 AM   #25103
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
I third the Isle of Dogs trashing. 'Twas disappointing after the Fantastic Mr. Fox being...at the least watchable.

Quote:

@diesel:

i haven't seen much of gaspar noé but while climax might be french he's argentinian (double hate for the hand of god? lmao). anyway i saw "love" by him and i can't remember a ton now. i remember i finished it... there was fucking and... sorry, drawing a blank, lol. very annoying characters, i think i recall now? i think voyeurism is his style without much more because all i vaguely recall is busy images. thanks for the warning.

Argentina and France, well there's two nations you wouldn't miss if Putin decides to push the button.

Apparently the Noe films Irreversible and Touching the Void are meant to be ultra disturbing, so naturally I'll be checking those out Will no doubt be reporting back here with more unfounded xenophobic hate.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2022, 02:03 PM   #25104
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Argentina and France, well there's two nations you wouldn't miss if Putin decides to push the button.
oh no lol. i would miss them...

oh wait, this is the movie thread!

https://imgur.com/FgiwTRT (nsfw for the office-bound)

judging by that gesture it would appear that she rejects your premise hahaha

btw, for a good french horror, watch "eyes without a face". classic, and much ripped off.

the wages of fear... not horror but nerve wracking. oh! rififi?! crime, and so good...,

it's true that in recent times they've been more miss than hit. but anything with monica bellucci in it is watchable hahaha.

oh, since you like watching people suffer, michael haneke is german but he' got some french productions...

for argentinian movies, try "wild tales" or "nine queens".
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2022, 01:34 AM   #25105
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Underrated horror movie Session 9.
Old 04.09.2022, 03:10 AM   #25106
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Argentina no good, I've thrown my heart in with Chile - for a variety of reasons.

Last night I watched a film set in 2000s Toronto, about the adventures of a young music fan struggling with relationships, culminating in an epic concert/fight scene involving their crush. Turns out Turning Red is the same movie as Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, although it's better.
(they're not actually the same, I just thought it was funny to say that)
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2022, 09:27 AM   #25107
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Underrated horror movie Session 9.

I remember that being quite good, yeah
Old 04.09.2022, 03:43 PM   #25108
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Argentina no good, I've thrown my heart in with Chile - for a variety of reasons.
in what way do you mean? cinema? or fútbol? or boric? but who what?

is it a riddle? is it just a guessing game? is it a taunt? is it nuclear war?

i'll roll the dice: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5639354/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

do i win?

you can't play chile though. they're out.

===

anyway i tried watching the neon demon last night and it's super glossy like drive, maybe more, but holy fuck it got creepy i thouht i'd get nightmares

it's with catherine the great what's her name. i might attempt the rest some morning when i can dispel the horror before sleep. that is if i can stomach the stuff. also keanu... wtf man...
Old 04.09.2022, 04:28 PM   #25109
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
anyway i tried watching the neon demon last night and it's super glossy like drive, maybe more, but holy fuck it got creepy i thouht i'd get nightmares

it's with catherine the great what's her name. i might attempt the rest some morning when i can dispel the horror before sleep. that is if i can stomach the stuff. also keanu... wtf man...

Refn loves making “I don’t know if I can finish this” movies, with Drive being the one exception
Old 04.09.2022, 06:42 PM   #25110
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
in what way do you mean? cinema? or fútbol? or boric? but who what?

is it a riddle? is it just a guessing game? is it a taunt? is it nuclear war?

i'll roll the dice: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5639354/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

do i win?

you can't play chile though. they're out.
That does look like an interesting movie, even if one that I'd find tough to watch - the title's not far off what is is though, just from a different angle.

Back to being relevant to the thread, I borrowed the documentary Sonic Outlaws from the uni library last week and watched it on Tuesday. Very interesting and surreal style of editing, raised a few good points about the nature of media in the 'modern' era of the 1990s. Enjoyed the U2 slander a lot
Old 04.09.2022, 09:47 PM   #25111
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Refn loves making “I don’t know if I can finish this” movies, with Drive being the one exception
i liked valhalla rising. im curious about bronson. but rape, or whatever the fuck is going on, is stomach-churning. pass... for now anyway.

Quote:
That does look like an interesting movie, even if one that I'd find tough to watch - the title's not far off what is is though, just from a different angle.
ok i throw the towel lol. no idea why chile.

eta: wait...

=

anyway today i watched

gimme shelter

great maysles brothers movie, historic even, but a huge fucking downer by the end.

& then

jazz on a summer's day

the cure to all that & more

(but don't find out what performances were not filmed. it will spoil your fun. o well, fuck, taste from the tree of knowledge: https://artsfuse.org/209283/film-rev...ntrarian-view/ yeah, visually, it's a big whitebread commercial, and the content left out some of the best stuff, but still, after watching the moronic mess at altamont, it's like taking a shower and brushing your teeth.)
Old 04.10.2022, 07:20 AM   #25112
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i liked valhalla rising. im curious about bronson. but rape, or whatever the fuck is going on, is stomach-churning. pass... for now anyway.

Bronson isn’t about rape. It’s about the man purported to have been the most violent inmate in the UK. Dude would scrap with anyone and anything and the only thing for it was solitary confinement, where he does … uhhh … arts and crafts.

There’s certainly a lot of naked dude energy in the film but I don’t believe there’s any rape. There’s a lot of fisticuffs and hilarity and madness, though. It gets a bit oppressively abstract at times but I think you’re safe.

Granted I saw it once 10 years ago, but I too have a really hard time with rape on screen. I fucking cannot stand it. Rape and animal mutilation will prevent me from watching a movie, straight up.
Old 04.10.2022, 07:21 AM   #25113
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Bronson isn’t about rape.
oh i meant the screams next door in neon demon... fuuuck, that's where i stopped, don't wanna know what's coming afterwards in it. but yeah, i'd like to see bronson eventually--thanks!
Old 04.10.2022, 01:47 PM   #25114
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Good ole Hellraiser
Old 04.12.2022, 04:53 AM   #25115
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

oh wait, this is the movie thread!

https://imgur.com/FgiwTRT (nsfw for the office-bound)

judging by that gesture it would appear that she rejects your premise hahaha

btw, for a good french horror, watch "eyes without a face". classic, and much ripped off.

the wages of fear... not horror but nerve wracking. oh! rififi?! crime, and so good...,

it's true that in recent times they've been more miss than hit. but anything with monica bellucci in it is watchable hahaha.

oh, since you like watching people suffer, michael haneke is german but he' got some french productions...

for argentinian movies, try "wild tales" or "nine queens".

Seen Wild Tales, 'twas areet. The best Argy film is Terrified.

I'm familiar with Haneke and it's telling you mention him because his name popped into my head during Climax. I guess it's the similar way he treats drama to the French in general; important plot points are shown to be no more significant than any other part of their movies and are quickly ushered along. It's as if they are too cool to mull over potential melodramatic aspects of the plot. The perfect comparison would be to imagine a scale with slop like Eastenders at one extreme being overblown cringe melodrama and at the polar opposite you have French cinema, too cool and unwilling to show any melodrama whatsoever, and like any extreme they are both awful but for different reasons. Having said that, I did like Hanekes' Funny Games fourth wall breaking fuck you to prevalent cliche film making. Also Benny's video get's props for the mindfuck of literally desensitising the viewer to animal slaughter in turn putting one in the same mindset as the lead which in summary is the ultimate fourth wall hack Gus Van Sant has wet dreams about.

I'm familiar with Billy Idol, cheers.

Watched an Oscar winning Chilean movie called A fantastic Woman which basically felt like a dated trans rights virtue signal.

And Kurosawa's Before We Vanish. Tremendous existential Kiyoshi as always.
Old 04.12.2022, 07:32 AM   #25116
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
a dated trans rights virtue signal
Love you too homie.
Old 04.12.2022, 05:11 PM   #25117
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Got to see some of the most terrible movies my eyes came across:
Over-sexed Rugsuckers from Mars
Birdemic

Last good ones I saw (in a month of Cech movies in a festival)

Ostre sledované vlaky (no idea what's it been called in English-spoken cpuntries)

And Bertrand Mandico's Wild Boys

On the big screen, looking forward to watching Audition in a few days
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2022, 03:59 AM   #25118
Diesel
the destroyed room

Quote:
Love you too homie.

What?
Old 04.14.2022, 12:55 PM   #25119
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Santa with Muscles. It wasn't an instant "i'll never watch this again".
Old 04.14.2022, 09:23 PM   #25120
Diesel
the destroyed room

Quote:
Love you too homie.

Man takes movie statment as personal attack, like a fucking idiot. Meh

Watching The town that dreaded sundown. Unfortunately dated, but the influence on Texas Chainsaw massacre and Halloween is paramount and exists at least for posterity, but fuck me am I bored.
756115612061246125312541255 1256 1257125812591266 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth