Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page recommend me some gothy-shoegaze...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.03.2008, 09:03 AM   #41
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Velvet Cacoon were some kind of weird hoax band with black metal and shoegaze albums at the same time and most of their stuff was stuff that they had ripped off of other artists.

"And on the subject of Velvet Cacoon, the band is a total fraud. Nothing about it holds any importance. The "How the Last Day" demo isn't even us. It's Miranda Lehman from Portland. (check the Wiki site). "Dizzy" isn't us. It's "My Violent Ego". Nothing is us. "Northsuite" was recorded in 3 hours and sold to a fake label who paid us enough for rent and substances. That's why its so terrible. We're utter bastards. We have no respect for anything. Now we're beginning the campaign to show just what we've done. We are walking examples of what far too many drugs will do. They make you crave havoc. They make you want to turn the world upside down while laughing like a maniac.
And now the soft afterglow sets in. VC is winding down. One last album. One final collection. And the damn thing isn't even recorded yet. Maybe we'll just steal it too. I must tell you that our correspondence will not continue much longer. I'm going to make a clean break - you'll know when the moment hits. You'll know exactly what I mean too.
First, I must convince the world that I am nothing special or intelligent, nor was Velvet Cacoon. If there was discussion about us before, I can only imagine what is about to come.
Feel free to spread this letter."

That being said, they (?) do have some excellent stuff.

I've been into this band for a few years and I used to really like Dextronaut, though I guess that's not really them. From what I can tell, Genevieve and Northsuite are the only "real" Velvet Cacoon albums... whatever that means. Very confusing band.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 09:30 AM   #42
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
'winterglow' is awesome
Old 09.03.2008, 10:23 AM   #43
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
Xasthur - usually defined as ambient black metal, but gothy shoegaze also fits.

depends which album.

defective epitaph, s/t = no.
subliminal genocide = yes, at moments.

----

then i recommend wolves in the throne room.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 12:12 PM   #44
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Velvet Cacoon were some kind of weird hoax band with black metal and shoegaze albums at the same time and most of their stuff was stuff that they had ripped off of other artists.

"And on the subject of Velvet Cacoon, the band is a total fraud. Nothing about it holds any importance. The "How the Last Day" demo isn't even us. It's Miranda Lehman from Portland. (check the Wiki site). "Dizzy" isn't us. It's "My Violent Ego". Nothing is us. "Northsuite" was recorded in 3 hours and sold to a fake label who paid us enough for rent and substances. That's why its so terrible. We're utter bastards. We have no respect for anything. Now we're beginning the campaign to show just what we've done. We are walking examples of what far too many drugs will do. They make you crave havoc. They make you want to turn the world upside down while laughing like a maniac.
And now the soft afterglow sets in. VC is winding down. One last album. One final collection. And the damn thing isn't even recorded yet. Maybe we'll just steal it too. I must tell you that our correspondence will not continue much longer. I'm going to make a clean break - you'll know when the moment hits. You'll know exactly what I mean too.
First, I must convince the world that I am nothing special or intelligent, nor was Velvet Cacoon. If there was discussion about us before, I can only imagine what is about to come.
Feel free to spread this letter."

That being said, they (?) do have some excellent stuff.

I've been into this band for a few years and I used to really like Dextronaut, though I guess that's not really them. From what I can tell, Genevieve and Northsuite are the only "real" Velvet Cacoon albums... whatever that means. Very confusing band.

you say that every time i've mention velvet cacoon, as far as i know dextronaut is their own work, it got reissued recently so i doubt any label would be stupid enough to reissue an album that could get them sued bearing in mind that i think the woman VC ripped off on one of their limited tape releases comes from the same town they do, and from what i read she subsequently found out what they did.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 12:29 PM   #45
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
As someone said before, Alcest. It is great. Some of the more blackmetal stuff sounds kinda cheesy though.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 02:05 PM   #46
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
I've always felt that Psychocandy and early My Bloody Valentine were kinda goth, but I don't know much.

I second that.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 02:48 PM   #47
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
you say that every time i've mention velvet cacoon, as far as i know dextronaut is their own work, it got reissued recently so i doubt any label would be stupid enough to reissue an album that could get them sued bearing in mind that i think the woman VC ripped off on one of their limited tape releases comes from the same town they do, and from what i read she subsequently found out what they did.

If you've only mentioned them twice, then I guess I have said that every time you've mentioned them. I say that in this case so someone doesn't make the mistake of getting an album that's not really them.

After some research...

Their real albums:
ATROPINE
GENEVIEVE
NORTHSUITE
DEXTRONAUT/VELORIUM (aka DEXTRONAUT 2)

Albums that aren't really them:
MUSIC FOR FALLING BUILDINGS
CHAPELFLAMES
STARLIT SEAS
HOW THE LAST DAY CAME...
DIZZY FROM ETERNITY

And then there's a whole buttload of albums that are rumored to exist but don't.

Old 09.04.2008, 09:38 AM   #48
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Best. Thread. Ever.

I never heard about Cranes before but...holy shit. Wow.

loveliescrushing and Astrobrite are shoegaze as it's meant to be. Crush and Pinkshinyultrablast are two almost perfect albums. I think the production of them adds to them. I haven't heard anything by STAR though. Anyone out there have a release?
Old 09.04.2008, 10:00 AM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

You know something I recently discovered? The band is actually called Lovesliescrushing. I've been a fan for years and never realized this!

Don't have any star albums but you can listen to em at http://www.myspace.com/lovelyrebelrecords

Old 09.04.2008, 10:06 AM   #50
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I always forget to put the 's' after 'love'. Plus Itunes won't let me spell it lowercased.
Old 09.04.2008, 11:20 AM   #51
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
really? i never put the s in and i never knew...
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2008, 11:59 AM   #52
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Also I feel Lust Lust Lust by the Raveonettes is kind of gothy-shoegaze.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2008, 09:18 PM   #53
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
ask Savage Clone- he has "The Knowledge"
Old 09.04.2008, 09:34 PM   #54
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
genevieve owns...did anyone hear about the latest velvet caccoon (most likely joke) album? not sure the name but supposedly they recorded it to tape, then buried the tape in the earth for a year and now released it...thats pretty fucking goth-gaze
chairman of the bored is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2008, 10:07 PM   #55
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
^^^That sounds like a Norwegian black metal concept! Actually quite a nice idea in principle, but goodness knows what state the tape must have been in!
Old 09.04.2008, 11:43 PM   #56
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Cranes
Slowdive
Lush (especiallyy ''spooky'' and ''split''
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2008, 07:22 AM   #57
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Definitely not lovelife, eh? Hah.

Old 09.05.2008, 08:35 AM   #58
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Xu Xu Fang kinda have the right feel, though it's a bit more classic rock in places. Good though.
Old 09.05.2008, 09:24 AM   #59
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
The Chameleons (UK) are neither goth nor shoegaze but they're somewhere in between.

outstanding band.

i'd add mid-period Siouxsie/Banshees....listen to "Arabian Knights" for a taste.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth