Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.18.2015, 09:43 PM   #18721
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha

i need to rewatch buffao 66 now

re: brown bunny-- while i get that the movie is dealing with a partially deranged mind, just as in buffalo 66, the more poetic quality of this one vs the more narrative one in buffalo 66 doesn't completely work for me.

yes, there are some beautiful shots and scenes (not the blowjob, which was probably only added to get at harmony korine), but as a whole it doesn't work for me. i had to watch it 3 times because the first 2 i fell asleep (this is an approximate number)-- when i finally got into it okay, i appreciate some qualities of it, but i also tend to hate suprise endings of the "it was only a dream after all!" type. they're often a cheap device and a bit of a con job on the audience.

so while i'd keep a lot of the footage and scenes i'd look for a different structure to present that scenario. what she suffered, how he abandoned her, etc., is only a footnote to his solitary drivings.

then again of course if you show that at the beginning you can't really' justify the long rambling road sequences.

i think that he had a good idea, but given that the execution is by nature very difficult, the soufflé came out a bit flat in the end.

i have to see his movies after that. i completely missed the fact that "promises written in water" exists.

Do it. I need it on Blu-ray. Now.

Why Korine? In love with Chole from her Gummo and KIDS days?

All valid points. I just need to rewatch it and revaluate after the bar has been raised with Buffalo '66 . Last time I saw it was 300 years ago on Netflix, up here in Canada.

I think for me, it was the emotional state of Gallo, after the emotion and infamous non-simulated sex scene that really put the bow on the whole film.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2015, 09:48 PM   #18722
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i don't know if it's true, it's just a fantastic scenario in my mind--but chloe used to be harkor's girlfriend. then they broke up. later gallo publicly said that harkor was a piece of shit human being (likely true).
http://www.vincentgallo.com/writing/kingcrimson.html
then years later harkor's ex sucks gallo's dick on film. it just connected the dots ha ha-- completely arbitrary (i'm not paranoid but my imagination is).

i don't know. according to ebert the scene works and "is not gratuitous"

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-brown-bunny-2004

but maybe a "revenge suck" ha ha
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2015, 10:13 PM   #18723
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know Korine dated Chole! Yes indeed, likely true, but the same can be said for Gallo. No, I think you're on to something.

I love directors that give the middle finger to conformity, much like the opening scene in von Trier's 'Anti-Christ'.

On penis related news,

Was Norton's erection real in Birdman?
Old 05.19.2015, 08:13 AM   #18724
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sure we're all different. your favorite movie as i recall is the wrath of khan.

what you're saying says absolutely nothing about almodóvar though.

haaah

my fave movie is Les Enfants du Paradis

Khan is my favorite movie with Rocardo Montalban.
Old 05.20.2015, 10:56 AM   #18725
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
haaah

my fave movie is Les Enfants du Paradis

Khan is my favorite movie with Rocardo Montalban.

el poeta roque roca
echa sapos por la boca

well at least there's hope for you that some day something, etc.
Old 05.20.2015, 11:04 AM   #18726
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchase
I didn't know Korine dated Chole! Yes indeed, likely true, but the same can be said for Gallo. No, I think you're on to something.

I love directors that give the middle finger to conformity, much like the opening scene in von Trier's 'Anti-Christ'.

On penis related news,

Was Norton's erection real in Birdman?

im not a penis connoisseur so i couldn't tell/don't remember that in birdman. i do, vaguely, but didn't pause to observe. that movie was so frantic, what comes back the most to me is the pace of the camera and the music and corridors.

but as for blowjobs, yes-- there's a power/dominance thing in the classic american blowjob posture-- man stands, woman kneels in front of his altar, services him & receives communion/flushes. the woman is subservient and gets no love, only protein as coin. i much prefer the egalitarian 69--there's true joy.

but anyway, gallo got korine's "boring connecticut girlfriend" to worship his pecker live on film. coincidence? i don't think so. it's more like "i win, fucker". which is hilarious.

von trier's antichrist was great. hard to watch, but great. i am not sure what the point of it was, but while i'm not a fan of horror movies this one i liked. reminded me a little of the documentary about fitzcarraldo where werner herzog is talking about the pain & the suffering he sees in the jungle (herzog is hilarious here-- hilariously whiny-- i've been to that jungle & it's awesome).
Old 05.20.2015, 11:18 AM   #18727
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

anyway, this other one i saw the other day:

WHIPLASH (some dude, 2013/14) - a wish fulfillment fable for asocial/narcissistic overachievers obsessed with performance=love, which is the main psychiatric disorder of our civilization. but forget the story which is as intense and straightforward as it is unlikely. i mean the story works, for the duration-- it's intense from beginning to end. then you think it ends and it doesn't and it hits you harder-- but the story is a sort of temporary pleasure of the film fantasy. it doesn't stick with you forever. the spectacle of the film however is highly polished. j.k. simmons as a sadistic mindfucker is great here. and the fucking EDITING is the real thing of beauty in this film. it's really the main character-- it drives everything. well worth watching for this reason.
Old 05.20.2015, 12:01 PM   #18728
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Brown Bunny is the only film I remember walking out of. At the time, I didn't know there was a bj scene at the end, but I don't think I would've stayed for that even if I had known.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2015, 12:10 PM   #18729
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Brown Bunny is the only film I remember walking out of. At the time, I didn't know there was a bj scene at the end, but I don't think I would've stayed for that even if I had known.

it mostly shows gallo's cock so i took no pleasure. chloe didn't seem to be having fun either.

i walked out of pasolini's gospel according to st. matthew many years ago. it was just like the movies they used to show on good friday when i was a kid. i didn't last more than 5 minutes there.

mind you, i probably would have walked out of salò as well if i had caught it in a "theatre". i had to watch that at home and in episodes. worth it in the end and with the help of good commentary & sufficient context, but nearly impossible on its own-- a long display of torture and degradation.

btw i'm not saying gallo is anything like pasolini ha ha ha... except maybe in the ultraslow pace.
Old 05.20.2015, 12:28 PM   #18730
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i much prefer the egalitarian 69--there's true joy.

that's a pearl of a sentence there, tee hee.

i watched sunset boulevard last night because it was the first rec netflix spit out. i was reading a book about the great gatsby the other day and couldn't help but think of gatsby's ending/sunset's beginning and end. and oh norma desmond. i think ive seen sunset 100 times and it doesn't get old.
Old 05.20.2015, 06:25 PM   #18731
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Just stumbled across the best thing Vincent Gallo ever did: Howard Stern, w/ a call in from Roger Ebert. Brown Bunny era. At first I thought it was performance art, but he's just him. I'm glad he's around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eekDYWVyjhc
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2015, 06:36 PM   #18732
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
that's a pearl of a sentence there, tee hee.

that's not mere rhetoric, it's a whole way of life, ha ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i watched sunset boulevard last night because it was the first rec netflix spit out. i was reading a book about the great gatsby the other day and couldn't help but think of gatsby's ending/sunset's beginning and end. and oh norma desmond. i think ive seen sunset 100 times and it doesn't get old.

damn, i haven't watched that in so long i have mostly forgotten it.

i spent a chunk of the morning looking at the trivia page for that movie on imdb-- it was great

i should re-watch it. billy wilder has been hovering around my space lately (started w/ his almodóvar connection)

also realized the butler guy plays a german in "la grande illusion"-- a beautiful movie, that one.
Old 05.20.2015, 07:21 PM   #18733
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Tusk. I didn't watch it all. not because I was bored but because I was tired. extremely tired. like ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

i'll rent it again when im not ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing.

oh yeah, I did watch the Muppets: Most Wanted. I laughed, was truly entertained. Muppets kick CGI ass motherfucker!!!!!

enjoyed it like hell!!!!
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 02:35 PM   #18734
Ghostchase
100%

2 hours is this film's run time, and in the amount of this time George Miller, original director and screenwriter for the Mad Max franchise, lays downs the most balls-to-the-wall action film in recent history. In a world loaded with lacklustre retreads, reboots, trilogies, paired with Hollywood's insatiable lust for profits over quality control is completely steamrolled and destroyed with George Miller's massive story, and character known as Max.

Mad Max: Fury Road is action, and it will leave you in fog on how condensed an action film can bundle so much tightly packed power in 2 hours. There is no easy to decipher and shit plot that is trying to be delivered to you in a hour and a half, with a few breaks for dumbass comedy. George Miller takes you to his cut throat dystopian future and puts the pedal to the metal and doesn't look back. I thought that the end would be fast approaching during a point, and I thought it have to be left open ended because time would soon be running out, nope there was still like 3/4 of film still left. Long live Max, long live George Miller.
Old 05.24.2015, 03:21 PM   #18735
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ i've read great reviews of the new mad max. not sure how true they are till i see it myself but yours is encouraging. won't bother going to the shitty movie theatres around which means i'll have to wait for the blu-ray. looking forward to that.

===

yesterday:

TROIS COULEURS: ROUGE (kieslowski 1994) . this rounds up the trilogy and ended the director's career (he died a couple of years later, he looked fucking ancient but was only in his 50s). while this was a lot less spectacular than the first two films, irène jacob's face sort of makes up for that with the brute force of her beautiful profile in almost every scene-- lips & more lips. it gets annoying, but it still works-- her face is too beautiful to fail, and she plays this sort of innocent otherwordly angelic presence, so it works.

while i originally found this one disappointing vs. the others because of its narrower confines, simpler narrative, and the lesser performance of its protagonist, it now it strikes me as possibly the best of the three films, because of the way it addresses the implicit theme of "fraternity"-- plus, it adds an interesting variation to the double life of véronique through the judge character-- jean louis trintignant is great here, he deserved more screen time. 5/5, really a masterpiece on its own, but as the last of the three films it just creates an amazing moral/metaphysical universe that's like nothing else in film.
Old 05.24.2015, 04:00 PM   #18736
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Red is a film I often overlook when thinking of all time fave lists but it's denitely one of my favourites from recent(ish) years.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 04:30 PM   #18737
Ghostchase
100%

I need to watch that trilogy.
Old 05.24.2015, 05:01 PM   #18738
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchase
I need to watch that trilogy.

make sure you get teh criterion editions with all the awesome extras

the interview w/ kieslowslki's writer partner is pure gold
Old 05.24.2015, 05:28 PM   #18739
Ghostchase
100%

Quote:
make sure you get teh criterion edition with all the awesome extras

the interview w/ kieslowslki's writer partner is pure gold

The Criterion Collection is the only brand I concern myself with when comes to films of this nature.
Old 05.25.2015, 12:57 PM   #18740
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
She's The Man, and I don't care what anyone says about it
837887927934935936 937 9389399409479871037 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth