Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page your top 10 all time comic book series/graphic novels...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2008, 09:21 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
for serious geeks only.

1. the watchmen; written by alan moore; illustrated by dave gibbons.
an obvious choice, but cmon, its perfect.

2. batman: the killing joke; written by alan moore; illustrated by brian bolland.
hadnt read this since i was a kid, but after watching the 'dark knight' i had to pick up a copy, ive been obsessed ever since. its almost perfect, the art is amazing, and moore's writing is as usual, top notch. the ending with batman and the joker sharing a joke and a hysterical laugh is excellent. only thing i dont dig about this is the origin story, joker should have no origin story.

3. batman: the dark knight returns; written and illustrated by frank miller.
probably the only series that as a story could compare to the watchmen. the aging batman is an interesting conception of the icon, and the art, well, is fantastic.

4. wolverine: origins; written by daniel way; illustrated by steve dillon.
i just thing wolverine is the raddest superhero ever. this is his best solo series

5. the swamp thing; written by alan moore; illustrated by tom yeates
one of the greatest testaments to moore's talents. he took a stupud as fuck comic series about some super hero plant monster, and totally revamped it into a terrifying horror comic series about a hero plant monster. i remember when i was a little kid i had this videotape animated swampthing movie, i used to watch it millions of times over with my dad. i was 8 when i discovered there was a comic book about swamp thing, when i found alan moore's version, my eyes were stuck to that thing for months.

6. sin city; written and illustrated by frank miller
it got really trendy after the movie, but anyone who has read these cant deny how fucking awesome, fucked up, and spooky they really are. the neo noir meets horror tales of murderous prostitutes, a psychopathic cannibal with a pet wolf, a yellow head child mollestor, and marv, how the fuck could any geek not love this? the movie aint bad either.

7. from hell; written by alan moore, illustrated by eddie cambell
a terrifying look into the motives driving jack the ripper. the book is as scary as any true crime novels, its like 'helter skelter', only it has awesome pictures.

8. uncanny x men; writen by stan lee (and a shitload others); illustrated by jack kirby
its original x men, it fucking rules.

9. batman: year one; written by frank miller; illustratred by david mazzuchelli
it says in the liner notes that in the early 80s, dc was getting smoked by marvel comics (with good reason). they knew thier biggest series were becoming dated. they had to revamp thier franchise, and started with thier three biggest icons; superman, wonder woman, and batman. the problem with batman was that his back story was already perfect. so instead of changing his origin, they simp;y improved it. and with the help of frank miller, improved it they did. excellent origin story, very interesting conception of bruce wayne, and easily one of the most violent of all the batman series.

10. v for vendetta; written by alan moore; illustrated by david lloyd.
so fucking ambitious. nobody would ever think of comics as a means of warning the public of a bleak dystopan future.

well, from this thread you have now all the proof you need that im a nerd. i could care fucking less.

its also obvious that i am really into the work of frank miller and alan moore. moore is like the william s burroughs of comic books if you ask me.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 09:29 AM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I so want to respond to this thread, but I'm too stoned right now, and would only end up whittering on about the brilliance of Steve Ditko and Allan Moore. So I'll give mine in later.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth