Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I Don't Care What You Think- I Like Rather Ripped
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.22.2006, 08:06 PM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Still waiting for what it's called interesting contexuatlizing of this record.

blondie?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2006, 08:10 PM   #22
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
I quite like RR. It's not fantabular or any shit. But it's decent, it's got some beautiful sounds... and as per usual with SY it's the live renditions of the songs which really does the new work justice.

My biggest dissapointment was there seemed to be an overlap in sound between it and SN. I've always loved SY for the leap in sound they take between records... but hey respect for doing something different, by doing the same in a way.. wah

PIE
Old 11.22.2006, 08:20 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i was alluding to a thruston quote saying they would get it right where blondie got it wrong or something like that.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2006, 12:45 AM   #24
jakeonguitar
bad moon rising

jakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I thought RR was great. It wasn't like Daydream Nation, Murray Street or a Sonic Nurse in the category of epic, but it was a great album.

All you haters can shut the fuck up because Sonic Youth did a great job. This album was SY saying, "Hey. We're too old to put out some Mildred Pierce-like songs, so here's some stuff with a message."

Was RR perfect? Of course not. Should this be the last SY album? Of course not. But was it good? Yeah. SY won't be able to put out ground-breaking albums every year, and this was a nice change of pace.

Nuff said.
jakeonguitar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 02:08 AM   #25
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeonguitar
Well, I thought RR was great. It wasn't like Daydream Nation, Murray Street or a Sonic Nurse in the category of epic, but it was a great album.

All you haters can shut the fuck up because Sonic Youth did a great job. This album was SY saying, "Hey. We're too old to put out some Mildred Pierce-like songs, so here's some stuff with a message."

Was RR perfect? Of course not. Should this be the last SY album? Of course not. But was it good? Yeah. SY won't be able to put out ground-breaking albums every year, and this was a nice change of pace.

Nuff said.

I quite agree with you.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 07:31 AM   #26
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=swa(y)]
Quote:

eh...yeah sure y not.

thanx teacher.

oh shit....theres a typo. correct me please.

no serioualy...that was sweet.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 08:23 AM   #27
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
It's commendable that despite the fact that noise is getting more and more popular, they're still focusing on a "pop" instead of more abrasive noise like they did in the past. More and more people are listening to Lightning Bolt, Wolf Eyes, etc... and they still play for what they want to play for, which I'll assume is now a "pop" sound.

On the contrary, I believe they have to stop with the repitition and similarities between albums. They were always good at this. Listen to Bad Moon Rising and compare it to Dirty. Take Confusion is Sex and compare it to Murray Street. Maybe it's because it's the first time the album distinction is narrow? I'm a big fan of Murray Street, but along with Rather Ripped and Nurse, it's alost as though they're using the sound as safety grounds from making each and every album distinct from one another, which often means weak experimentations (like A Thousand Leaves for most people).
Old 11.30.2006, 08:29 AM   #28
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Am i the only person on here to think that noise is just ONE part of Sonic Youth and they have always had a fair few clear song structures on their albums?The noise mention gets more and more tiresome after you've been listening to the records for fucking years.Yes,there are obviously prominent elements of it throughout their discography but do we not hear psychedelia/rock n roll/girl bands etc etc in their music too?

Old 11.30.2006, 08:30 AM   #29
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Oh and noise music is widespread but not 'mainstream popular',which i was referencing on my previous post.

Old 11.30.2006, 08:42 AM   #30
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I'm sure that i'm not the only one but i find it mostly distasteful that a good portion of the newcomers seem to either concentrate on their noisy side or embrace their melodic outings and ignore the rest.

Old 11.30.2006, 09:31 AM   #31
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm sure that i'm not the only one but i find it mostly distasteful that a good portion of the newcomers seem to either concentrate on their noisy side or embrace their melodic outings and ignore the rest.

Too true. Although I think the album is more approchable to newcomers than the majority of any of their other albums. Because it's less abrasive it will allow them to slowly get into noise if they're just starting to listen to it. Sonic Youth was the first noise band I got into, and I thought Dirty was even pretty diffciult to listen to at the time. If I heard the White Mice as the first noise band I heard, It would probably turn me off from it.

It's like a cunt, you have to rub it a little before they start to enjoy it. Then you can eventually make your way to the clitoris. If you jump right in when they're dry, they hate it.
Old 11.30.2006, 09:52 AM   #32
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Too true. Although I think the album is more approchable to newcomers than the majority of any of their other albums. Because it's less abrasive it will allow them to slowly get into noise if they're just starting to listen to it. Sonic Youth was the first noise band I got into, and I thought Dirty was even pretty diffciult to listen to at the time. If I heard the White Mice as the first noise band I heard, It would probably turn me off from it.

It's like a cunt, you have to rub it a little before they start to enjoy it. Then you can eventually make your way to the clitoris. If you jump right in when they're dry, they hate it.
The problem is not with being a newcomer(if anything i wish that they would sell more records than they do) but more the general feeling that i get from the majority of posts about their music on here.And that feeling is of not letting yourself go into the domino-like process that comes from appreciating this band.I am,of course,generalizing a lot as there is also more informative stuff on here and on the internet in general.

Old 11.30.2006, 10:24 AM   #33
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
The problem is not with being a newcomer(if anything i wish that they would sell more records than they do) but more the general feeling that i get from the majority of posts about their music on here.And that feeling is of not letting yourself go into the domino-like process that comes from appreciating this band.I am,of course,generalizing a lot as there is also more informative stuff on here and on the internet in general.

thats true, can't argue with you there. It's like how all cunts need to follow the same procedure for them to feel it, and later realize the more effective methods
Old 11.30.2006, 10:44 AM   #34
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
thats true, can't argue with you there. It's like how all cunts need to follow the same procedure for them to feel it, and later realize the more effective methods
It's understandable for someone to get exited and precious about their music and all that but to simply say 'it rocks!','it rules','it sucks' etc has its consequences on any aspiring interlocutor.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth