Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Graphic Novels
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2006, 07:10 PM   #41
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj
does anyone here know craig thompson? i thought 'blankets' was rather amazing i like his style very much

i've read Good Bye Chunky Rice by craig thompson, it was quite nice but i wasn't amazed by it or anything. i've been kind of interested in reading blankets though because it seems like kind of a big book at the moment
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 07:27 PM   #42
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
today i bought '20th centuary Eightball' by Daniel Clowes

They're all cool fragments, but On Sports – "about the meaning of sports in our society" really nailed it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i forgot to say, you are one of my favorite new people around here, well informed & insighful; thanks for the good reading. (& that picture in pictures of hot girls was hot too, subtle, very good).

I suppose a thankful gaze at your internet presence for this is in order. Consider it gazed at. That's cool someone actually got to see the picture; it has that beautiful intimacy to it one can only 'snap' in close contact. And let me just add 'the monologue means nothing to me', that it takes two (or more) for communication. So be thanked for good reading as well.

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Dues is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 10:53 PM   #43
SolidZach
children of satan

SolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
Akira is amazing! and it's really the only comic I've truly paid attention to so far (although when I was about 15 I read spawn...). They just released the final two parts (9, 10) here, but I haven't purchased them yet.

I borrowed last year a few sin cities from the local library but, even though I love the art, I wasn't too fond of the characters and plot lines. From the sadistic aspect they're cool though.

Yes its fucking amazing, the movie is pretty good too.

SolidZach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 10:57 PM   #44
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Though I've never read Akira, the art work looks pretty amazing..
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 01:01 AM   #45
turmeric
empty page

turmeric has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The "christian" tracts you are talking about are probably of Jack Chick. This nice old lady used to bicycle to my university every day or so and set up a table with a full spread of them for free. There is one about how buddhists are all going to hell. Ah yes here we go.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0016/0016_01.asp
turmeric is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 09:14 AM   #46
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
I hate the term Graphic Novel its like calling a song a soundscape, whats wrong with Comic Books.

Anyway you really have to read:

V for Vendetta - Alan Moore
Watchmen - Alan Moore
From Hell - Alan Moore
League of extraordinary Gentlemen - Alan Moore

Pretty much evrything by Alan Moore is touched by genius but those are his classics and rule over everything in Forbidden Planet

The Filth - Grant Morrison (serious headfuckery written whilst he was in the midst of a self induced mental breakdown as part of a magic ritual)

Maus - Art Spiegelman

Superman Red Son - Mark Millar
Batman Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller
Daredevil Born Again - Frank Miller

Anything by Neil Gaimen including or especially Sandman which is brilliant.

I'd also recommend the X Men run by Joss Whedon
The Preacher series by Warren Ellis

And Jinx by Brian Michael Bendis is meant to be very good but Ive not read it yet.
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 11:39 AM   #47
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmeric
The "christian" tracts you are talking about are probably of Jack Chick. This nice old lady used to bicycle to my university every day or so and set up a table with a full spread of them for free. There is one about how buddhists are all going to hell. Ah yes here we go.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0016/0016_01.asp

All I could hear in my head whilst readin that was Reverand Lovejoys voice.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 12:37 PM   #48
darthblav
little trouble girl

darthblav ain't too shabby
i recently have gotten back into graphic novels / comics.

i think it is great that they have now put out classic volumes of rare comic books for people to buy affordably ie marvel masterworks editions. i just pick up the first few xmen versions. it seems like the comic community frowns on them but i think they are great.

also i love the dark knight returns, arkham asylum, and killing joke.

i love this list, it gives me a bunch of great stuff to check out for someone getting back into it.

also, i do have sandman 1, 2 ,3 - are they worth much?
Old 06.26.2006, 12:49 PM   #49
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I always liked Witchblade. It had a pretty awesome storyline and was well drawn. I never was into graphic novels that much, I'd be interested to pick up a few sometime.
Old 06.26.2006, 01:49 PM   #50
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Beacause we're sheep

I've always wanted to read Arkham Asylum, Akira and Sin City but I've just never bothered. Well that tells me what to spend this weeks wages on.

Yes, Arkam Asylum is excellent.

I am not a big graphic novel person, but I love Kyle Baker, you might want to check him out, too.
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth