Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bands you've seen this year
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.07.2008, 01:15 PM   #1
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
how've you been rocking 2008? what is the best band you've seen live so far?

I think this year has had good gigs (considering I live in Chile and in the past years venues have been mostly MTV bands like Maroon 5 and My Chemical Romance)

this year: Interpol, The Datsuns, Laurie Anderson, Bright Eyes and Animal Collective. I also saw Combichrist by mistake.

The best was Laurie Anderson and Interpol.
ihateyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth (best)
-Leslie Keffer and Val Martino
The Breeders
-Magic Wands
Nels Cline Singers
Silver Jews
-Monotonix (insane)
Deerhoof
-Experimental Dental School
Vivian Girls
Tyvek
The Mars Volta
Girl Talk (most fun)
-Grand Buffet
-Hearts of Darkness
Nine Inch Nails
-Health
Awesome Color (worst)

Will be seeing Dropkick Murphys, No Age, and Misfits before the year is out at least.
Old 11.07.2008, 01:37 PM   #3
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

Sonic Youth (best)

The Breeders

Deerhoof

The Mars Volta

Nine Inch Nails

I'd cut my left index finger for those.
ihateyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth was a blast, The Breeders were fun because Kim was drunk as hell during the show, Deerhoof was awesome, There's nothing like the Mars Volta live and Nine Inch Nails was on Halloween so it was double cool.
Old 11.07.2008, 02:30 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Polysics, Boris, Torche, Six Organs of Admittance, Two Dead Sluts:One Good Fuck, Can't, Demons, Ponytail, Mission of Burma, Devo, Megasus (Brian Gibson's Sludgecore band, surprisingly awesome), Moss, Polvo, Black Pus, damn I've seen a lot, it's hard to remember all of them. Let's see. No Fun (the bands I remember watching were Astro, Thurston and Nancy Garcia, White Out, Burning Star Core, Sickness, Handicapper Horns, Jason Crumer, Sewer Election, that was the first night. Second night I remember watching and having a blast with Emeralds, Afternoon Penis, Cornucopia, Tovah Olson and the Jasons, the Hair Police. The main stage on the second night was fucking ridiculous, I didn't leave once even for a cigarette break; Nevari Brothers, Nautical Almanac, Keith Fullerton Whitman, The SKATERS, Carlos Giffoni, Demons, Religious Knives, and Cluster who even though are an expansive and minimalist Kraut rock synth band didn't sound out of place, and I'm sure for many were the highlight of the night just for being there. The third night's second stage introduced me to a couple bands who have gone on to be some of my favorite in Noise; namely Halflings and the Cathode Terror Secretion. I also checked out Alan Licht and he was awesome. Main stage was Werewolf Jeusalem, Sudden Infant, Lee Ranaldo, Illusion of Safety, Consumer Electronics, and the HATERS who were my pick for best of the weekend, fittingly because they headlines the whole damn thing). Hair Police, Heathen Shame (the Heathen SHame/Hair Police show was prolly my favorite this year, both bands were top notch, especially Heathen SHame who's duel guitar feedback destruction combined with the skronktastic and actually quite "in the tradition" (meaning Ayler, Coltrane, etc,) was particularly great. I also saw the Weasel Walter Quarter doing absokutley ferocious Free Jazz, and I dont just love this because it's Weasel, but people must realize above all he is a Jazz and Free Improv Musician, and a mighty amazing one at that who has aquired talents on many instruments. The Silver Daggers, Abe Vigoda, The Hospitals, Kanye West (haha), Rihanna, Ghostface Killah. Visited a friend in Portland and saw the amazin Eat Skull. Naked on the Vague, Clockcleaner, Pink Reason (the most moving and beautiful and most purely emotional performance i saw this year, pink reason will be around for a while). Saw R.E.M. with my dad for Father's Day. The Oh Sees. Gang Wizard (they are the Black FLag for our "wierd" generation). Robedoor. Pocahaunted.

Well, I saw a lot of bands. I feel kinda stupid and braggish about writing every band I saw, so i stopped but here goes some of them anyways, *post
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 03:13 PM   #6
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
No Age
Abe Vigoda
Chairlift
White Rainbow
Valet
Atlas Sound
Ariel Pink
Music Tapes
Circulatory System
Dark Meat
Bjorkestra

Ariel Pink was amazing, but the show was cut short, otherwise a clear winner... No Age was incredibly fun. Music Tapes was just awesome.

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 03:16 PM   #7
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
So far:

Dragons Of Zynth
K-Branding
Hot Chip
Atlas Sound
Animal Collective
Nervous Cabaret
HEALTH
Caribou
Birdy Nam Nam
No Age
Toys'R'Noise
Neptune

I'm going to see TV on the Radio in December I think, not sure though
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 03:23 PM   #8
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
how was Health?

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 03:26 PM   #9
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
This is too much dude

But the best so far : Boris/Torche, CPC Gangbangs/the Nymphets/Hospital Rats, Jay Reatard/CPC Gangbangs, AIDS Wolf/Japanther/Sightings/Black Feelings, Shellac/A Place To Bury Strangers, Mudhoney/Quest For Fire/Manymental Mistakes, Silver Jews, AIDS Wolf/Indian Jewelry/Panopticon Eyelids, Nymphets/American Devices

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
Polysics, Boris, Torche, Six Organs of Admittance, Two Dead Sluts:One Good Fuck, Can't, Demons, Ponytail, Mission of Burma, Devo, Megasus (Brian Gibson's Sludgecore band, surprisingly awesome), Moss, Polvo, Black Pus, damn I've seen a lot, it's hard to remember all of them. Let's see. No Fun (the bands I remember watching were Astro, Thurston and Nancy Garcia, White Out, Burning Star Core, Sickness, Handicapper Horns, Jason Crumer, Sewer Election, that was the first night. Second night I remember watching and having a blast with Emeralds, Afternoon Penis, Cornucopia, Tovah Olson and the Jasons, the Hair Police. The main stage on the second night was fucking ridiculous, I didn't leave once even for a cigarette break; Nevari Brothers, Nautical Almanac, Keith Fullerton Whitman, The SKATERS, Carlos Giffoni, Demons, Religious Knives, and Cluster who even though are an expansive and minimalist Kraut rock synth band didn't sound out of place, and I'm sure for many were the highlight of the night just for being there. The third night's second stage introduced me to a couple bands who have gone on to be some of my favorite in Noise; namely Halflings and the Cathode Terror Secretion. I also checked out Alan Licht and he was awesome. Main stage was Werewolf Jeusalem, Sudden Infant, Lee Ranaldo, Illusion of Safety, Consumer Electronics, and the HATERS who were my pick for best of the weekend, fittingly because they headlines the whole damn thing). Hair Police, Heathen Shame (the Heathen SHame/Hair Police show was prolly my favorite this year, both bands were top notch, especially Heathen SHame who's duel guitar feedback destruction combined with the skronktastic and actually quite "in the tradition" (meaning Ayler, Coltrane, etc,) was particularly great. I also saw the Weasel Walter Quarter doing absokutley ferocious Free Jazz, and I dont just love this because it's Weasel, but people must realize above all he is a Jazz and Free Improv Musician, and a mighty amazing one at that who has aquired talents on many instruments. The Silver Daggers, Abe Vigoda, The Hospitals, Kanye West (haha), Rihanna, Ghostface Killah. Visited a friend in Portland and saw the amazin Eat Skull. Naked on the Vague, Clockcleaner, Pink Reason (the most moving and beautiful and most purely emotional performance i saw this year, pink reason will be around for a while). Saw R.E.M. with my dad for Father's Day. The Oh Sees. Gang Wizard (they are the Black FLag for our "wierd" generation). Robedoor. Pocahaunted.

Well, I saw a lot of bands. I feel kinda stupid and braggish about writing every band I saw, so i stopped but here goes some of them anyways, *post

Seriously though, what do you have against paragraphs? Aren't you studying to be a journalist? Don't hacks have more paragraphs than normal people? Is it an art statement?

I've seen lots of things this year. I'll wait until the 'gigs of the year' thread though, there's still the best part of 2 months left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Daniel Johnston
Jad Fair
Scout Niblett
Mark Linkous (sparklehorse)
Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band
Be Your Own Pet (x2)
Numerous local bands that you don't care about
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 04:18 PM   #12
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
how was Health?
Great. They tend to overplay a bit but hey, it's show, and it works pretty well. There's a lot of energy on stage and it's great. They played two or three new songs which are really promising, groovier than what they're doing on the first album, but still noisy. I hope they'll release something new next year
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 05:39 PM   #13
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
a few local bands from salt lake city and places here in fl
the walkmen
thao and the get down stay down (twice)
xiu mothafuckin xiu
harlem shakes!
vampire weekend
against me
a few different warped tour bands.. i have no frigging idea..
experimental dental school
deerhoof!
schizophrenicroom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
The Scientists
Sonic Youth
The Jesus & Mary Chain
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 06:49 PM   #15
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Einstuerzende Neubauten
Holy Fuck
BJ Nielson
Chris Watson
Chris & Cosey
My Bloody Valentine
Unkle
Manorexia
Biosphere
Antenna Farm
Goodiepal
Olafur Arnalds
Finn
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
The Stargazers Assistant
Skullflower

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 07:03 PM   #16
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Boredoms w/ Black Pus and Soft Circle
Mudhoney w/ The Cynics and The Points

ATP NY
Bardo Pond, Meat Puppets, Tortoise, Thurston Moore, Built to Spill, Harmonia, Polvo, Les Savy Fav, Shellac, Lightning Bolt, EPMD, Mercury Rev, Yo La Tengo, Dinosau Jr. , My Bloody Valentine

AIDS Wolf and Times New Viking
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 08:42 PM   #17
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
-Monotonix (insane)
even though im not their biggestfan it is always amazing to see a band from the local scene that has had the amount of "success" that monotonix have had. and yeah their shows are great.
off the top of my head i have scene
peter brotzmann
the dreamers/electric masada
animal collective
flowers of hell/ gemma hayes/ my bloody valentine
the hungry march band (one of the coolest live acts that i have ever seen)
james levine directing mahlers 6th
hopefully i will see my first opera in a few weeks
dinosaur jr.
aids wolf
i think ive seen more shows
but im not sure

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 08:53 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
hopefully i will see my first opera in a few weeks

I saw Janacek's Jenufa on Thursday. It was very good. I also saw Messiaen's St Francis... at the proms, which was mindblowingly amazing. You going with the libretto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 09:27 PM   #19
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
The year isn't over yet, but out of the 100+ bands I've seen so far, the best show was Keiji Haino playing w/ The Melvins (followed by the Haino solo gig on the previous night) at the Rotterdam Film Festival in January... and to think I don't even like the Melvins! (Their own set at that same festival was also good though.)

edit: actually, it was also the combination of seeing them first separate and then together on 3 consecutive nights what made it so great.

furthermore:
Nihilist Spasm Band
The Drone People
Acid Mothers Guru Guru
Electric Wizard
Aluk Todolo
Wu-Tang Clan
LSD March
Ashtray Navigations
Sun Ra Arkestra
Oren Ambarchi
Wolves in the Throne Room
Comets on Fire
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 04:15 AM   #20
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I saw Janacek's Jenufa on Thursday. It was very good. I also saw Messiaen's St Francis... at the proms, which was mindblowingly amazing. You going with the libretto?
maybe. im taking this course on opera at uni. its taught by this woman who is supposed to be the best professor in the faculty. im probably going to go to R strauss' salome in few weeks and to tosca in the spring

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth