Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MATH ROCK
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2008, 06:07 AM   #21
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
So, going by what was said about tempos, time signatures and polyrhythms, math rock is basically complicated rock music?
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:08 AM   #22
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
again, why do people get so tore up over the names of genres? It's a way to classify things, and it usually works. Otherwise, every band would just be "music".
exactly
Old 07.15.2008, 06:08 AM   #23
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
So, going by what was said about tempos, time signatures and polyrhythms, math rock is basically complicated rock music?
myeah kind of
Old 07.15.2008, 06:09 AM   #24
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I bet that most of the bands listed would punch you in the face if you told them that they were a math rock band. Unless they were shit rock, in which case they'd think you are paying them a compliment.

twat twat
Old 07.15.2008, 06:09 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Sure.

Oh, did I forget to mention A MINOR FOREST?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:12 AM   #26
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
you've got all the good ones listed honestly. the only one i'd add is probably june of 44 (who are more noise rock but they have mathy stuff), yukon, giraffes giraffes, SWEEP THE LEG JOHNNY ("going down swinging" is one of my all time favorite records) uh.. or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Rock

Since you listed sleeping people already, you've already listed who is, in my mind, the best "math rock" band, the only one who doesn't bore me to tears anymore.

Shellac rock and have song structures and time signatures occassionally. So, I don't see a problem with them being saddled as math rock. Personally, I wouldn't call Polvo math rock -- to me that's some kind of weird noise rock. Until you get to stuff like "title Track" which is the definition of math rock. If you're going down that route, listen to thinking fellers union local # 282 instead... they've got some math rock shit, some noise rock shit, some noise pop shit,probably the best "rock" band ever honestly.

i bet the dude knows his June of 44 by heart, he'll tell us when he sees the thread.
gotta update the list again with yr "walking encyclopedia" stuff, you always come up with excellent but unknown bands, congrats.
god, i've never ever listened to fellers union local 282, gotta lay my hands on that now
is it a bit like BLINK 182?
Old 07.15.2008, 06:14 AM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
haha no.

The best way to explain it is ... a polvo that's a bit more intelligent mixed with some caroliner type weirdness mixed with some sun city girls-ish "don't give a fuck, let's record it" sensibilities... a truely genius band.

Old 07.15.2008, 06:14 AM   #28
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
Polvo is the shit but it doesn't qualify as mathrock to me as their time signatures are pretty straightforward.
still an excellent band to check but that's a bit far from the starting point....

anyway POLVO!

i'm quite unfamiliar with the whole mathrock genre. polvo and don cab are the only ones I know. what about slint? some call it as a mathrock also. great band nevertheless.

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:15 AM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I dunno, I don't think slint totally fit in with anybody.

I wish I knew more bands that were slint-like... at least in the slow, methodical, depressing, speak-singing, lonely Kentucky darkness of their sound.. the only one who comes close (but doesn't sound anything like slint) is gastr del sol.

Old 07.15.2008, 06:16 AM   #30
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaspoo
i'm quite unfamiliar with the whole mathrock genre. polvo and don cab are the only ones I know. what about slint? some call it as a mathrock also. great band nevertheless.

well SLINT are not complicated / fast enough to be labeled Math rock.
they kick anyone's ass though, mine included
Old 07.15.2008, 06:19 AM   #31
sarramkrop

Quote:
twat twat

i know i know
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:19 AM   #32
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I dunno, I don't think slint totally fit in with anybody.

I wish I knew more bands that were slint-like... at least in the slow, methodical, depressing, speak-singing, lonely Kentucky darkness of their sound.. the only one who comes close (but doesn't sound anything like slint) is gastr del sol.

If you find one, let me know.

Quote:
well SLINT are not complicated / fast enough to be labeled Math rock.
they kick anyone's ass though, mine included

listened to Spiderland the other day. man, that have to be the best record ever released. I get shivers for even thinking it.

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:23 AM   #33
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
I could see Rodan falling under 'math rock', but not Slint. Then again, attaching labels is an entirely subjective matter anyway...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:33 AM   #34
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
just out of the top of my head:
Drill for Absentee
June of 44
and of course, Shipping News. Their "Save Everything" still belongs to the top 10 records I've ever heard. Not so sure about the rest of their output, but you should definitely check this one out.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:34 AM   #35
greedrex
invito al cielo

one precision that's really important : mathrock is supposed to be INSTRUMENTAL, usually.
you'll always find exceptions i know.
Old 07.15.2008, 06:44 AM   #36
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

more or less, it's like prog played by kids who grew up listening to punk
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 06:46 AM   #37
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
that is pretty accurate, what T&B said

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 07:25 AM   #38
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
more or less, it's like prog played by kids who grew up listening to punk
nice one

Old 07.15.2008, 07:45 AM   #39
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
truman's water are SLIGHTLY math rock to me, but more noisey post-hardcore, i listened to 'godspeed the punchline' this morning.

some call 16-17 math rock, but i consider them a free jazz spazz core type thing, anyways, they rock.

dazzling killmen is the best 'math rock' band, if you wanna call them that, i like 'brutal prog' better.

collosamite is a damn good indie noisey math rock band.

cul de sac rules, but again, theyre music borders on so many different styles, not sure why anyone would pigenhold them in any genre.

u.s. maple is a fucking amazing some what experimental somewhar noise somewhat math rock band

anyone starting to notice that skin graft has something of a monopoly on this genre?

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 08:01 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

totally forgot colossamite and dazzling killmen.

they're both like jazzy noise rock or something... but they fit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth