Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Worst Album of the 2007?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.04.2007, 11:42 AM   #21
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I didnt like zeitgiest, its probebly because im still holding out for them to reform (properly this time) and make an album as good as Siamese Dream. Oh well

I've found this year extremely disapointing so far. I did kinda dig the last Wolf Eyes record though and im still holding out for the new Radiohead album to change my life. I want another summer like 2005
Old 08.04.2007, 11:42 AM   #22
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Agreed, I think most disappointing would be more appropriate. In which case for me it would be the new Meat Puppets album.

But have the Meat Puppets done a good album since Up on the Sun, which was a dissapointment in retrospect compared to II?
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2007, 12:39 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
I suppose the new Nile record has been my biggest disappointment so far, but only because I don't think it was AS awesome as the last one... not bad by any stretch and still head and shoulders above EVERYTHING ELSE.

My God, haven't heard anyone mention Nile for years now. Saw them what seems like a million years ago, they were, and probably still are, an awesome live band.

I doubt I've heard anything released this year yet, but I was quite disappinted in a Matsudaira record I bought. And I heard the first bit of Toru Takemitsu's that was rubbish on the radio last week, does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2007, 01:21 PM   #24
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The weirdness too. Zeitgest is OK in my opinion.

I was also very disappointed by the new Laura Veirs, but it's still better than many releases of other artists.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2007, 03:05 PM   #25
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
But have the Meat Puppets done a good album since Up on the Sun, which was a dissapointment in retrospect compared to II?
Up On The Sun was their best by far. Much better than the patchy (but still great) II.

Monsters is a fantastic album, as is Huevos.

I'm also a big fan of Too High To Die.

All their other albums are really good, each having moments of greatness.

Rise To Your Knees is failing to do anything for me so far.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2007, 06:01 PM   #26
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Too High To Die was their best record since Up On The Sun and easily their best record in the 90s.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2007, 06:50 PM   #27
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the weirdness and beyond, of course.

actually, i think it's good dino and the stooges released those this year as any other crappy album is not going to seem that bad in comparison.

not bad but disappointing: city of echoes, friend opportunity, you you're a history in rust.

i don't care what meat puppets fans say, rise to your knees is one of the best albums around.

i didn't like nile's annihilation of the wicked with the exception of that song that's like 12 minutes long, that one is amazing; the rest of the album is too meh. haven't heard the new one.

ohh, i remember another one: the new angelcorpse album, let me down a lot.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2007, 06:58 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
actually, yeah, the new pelican wasn't very good, was it?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2007, 08:57 PM   #29
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
to me, they sound like lesser songs recorded during the fire in our throats... sessions, the ones they threw away and now they gathered them for their next one.

not bad, but certainly underwhelming, i did expect another statement like the fire...
Old 08.04.2007, 09:00 PM   #30
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
I thought the new Deerhoof was disapointing to be honest.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2007, 12:55 AM   #31
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Big Agree on the Pelican record... meh.

Big Disagree on Annihilation of the Wicked. Best. Nile. Record. Ever.

In my opinion...
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2007, 03:58 AM   #32
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
t.i. vs. tip

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2007, 04:40 AM   #33
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
i like City of Echoes.
Old 08.05.2007, 06:55 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's interesting because a band like pelican (or isis or neurosis or etc) is going to get a lot of publicity and people sucking their dicks just because it's, well, pelican (or isis or neurosis or etc). i mean, it's not like they technically got worse, but man.. that sound can be taken in the wrong direction.. a more boring direction.. and certainly, you can only make certain statements a few times before it gets tired.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2007, 08:49 AM   #35
Massassinated
bad moon rising

Massassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Are you even a fan of Dinosaur Jr? I still don't see the problem with Beyond, it sounds just like circa Bug Dino.
Not a fan, but i like them.
I don't "hate" Beyond, but it was a huge disappointment.
Old 08.05.2007, 10:26 AM   #36
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think it's interesting because a band like pelican (or isis or neurosis or etc) is going to get a lot of publicity and people sucking their dicks just because it's, well, pelican (or isis or neurosis or etc). i mean, it's not like they technically got worse, but man.. that sound can be taken in the wrong direction.. a more boring direction.. and certainly, you can only make certain statements a few times before it gets tired.

but look at it this way, pelican started with australasia, which was cool but it was more like isis without the vocals, same arrangements, same sounds, some of the songs were really good in this style but certainly not mindblowing, very by the numbers. then, they release the fire in our throats will beckon the thaw and it's "holy fuck! they sound like pelican now" they looked at the parts of their sound that separated them from all the quote/unquote "post metal" bands and exploited them to make themselves stand out.

now that i'm thinking of it, it's not so surprising they chose this path for city of echoes. and still, it's not a bad album, i liked it but i can't get excited about it and, if i want to listen to a pelican album right now, my first choice would be the fire in our throats...

come to think of it, judging by how their career cycle has gone, i'm very excited for their next album.
Old 08.05.2007, 11:06 AM   #37
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, now they gotta show up all the haters.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2007, 09:38 PM   #38
ExLionTamer
empty page

ExLionTamer is a glorious beacon of lightExLionTamer is a glorious beacon of lightExLionTamer is a glorious beacon of lightExLionTamer is a glorious beacon of lightExLionTamer is a glorious beacon of lightExLionTamer is a glorious beacon of light
The weirdness was a major bummer because I love the stooges, Mike Watt and Steve Albini.

I haven't heard most of the new Meat Puppets album, but my hopes arn't that high. Up on the Sun is one of my favorite 80s records.

I thought the new Dinosaur Jr album was great. One of the better reunions, for sure.
ExLionTamer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth