Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2013, 01:25 PM   #461
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm glad someone else picked up on the awesomeness of Undertakerz. I feel like that one flew under the radar of most folks, but these days I'm just as likely to pop that in as First Come First Served when I need a Keith fix.

Thee Undatakerz are the shit.

Just about ANYTHING Kool Keith as ever done is the shit, but especially when Kutmasta Kurt is involved (he is like Billy Cox to Jimi Henrdix, a perfect sonic fit)..

So we simply can't forget the Diesel Truckers/Dr Dooom eras (and please lets try to forget all about that terrible resurrection of Dr. Octagon because that shit was wack and thats why Dr Dooom 2 had to kill him again). Sometimes I almost wonder if Keith brought back Dr. Octagon JUST to mock himself and have a more visible motivation to go underground again with Dr Dooom/Mr Nagato

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2013, 07:43 PM   #462
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Thee Undatakerz are the shit.

Just about ANYTHING Kool Keith as ever done is the shit, but especially when Kutmasta Kurt is involved (he is like Billy Cox to Jimi Henrdix, a perfect sonic fit)..

So we simply can't forget the Diesel Truckers/Dr Dooom eras (and please lets try to forget all about that terrible resurrection of Dr. Octagon because that shit was wack and thats why Dr Dooom 2 had to kill him again). Sometimes I almost wonder if Keith brought back Dr. Octagon JUST to mock himself and have a more visible motivation to go underground again with Dr Dooom/Mr Nagato

I can't say I'm really as informed about Keith as I once thought I was, and I definitely feel that he's made/been part of more "Okay" projects than insanely good ones, despite being an insanely good rapper in general. Still, I thought Ther Undertakerz was the best thing he'd been a part of since
Octagagon. (The first Octagon, which is the only Octagon)

Black Elvis and Dr. DOOOM are my other big picks, but I think the first Dooom and Black Elvis were both attempts to recapture the feel of Dr. O without having to repeat himself...Undertakers felt fresh to me, but for some reason it was just fucking reviled by critics and I don't know anyone else who likes it.

So other than Uktramagnetic Mc's, that's about as far as I go with Keith. Love the MC's, love Dr. Octagon, love half of Black Elvis, love both Dooom albums, and the rest of it I either haven't heard, have heard, and sucks, or I just plain don't know about it.

I don't know the politics behind behind the whole thing, but why is it that Keith, Kurt, and Dan have never been tempted to make a true sequel? One would think it would have more cult appeal than Deltron, which is still bringing in new generations of college kids who don't like rap, but wish they did.
Heh, I'm kind of kidding... I love Deltron more every time I binge on it for six months (which happens every couple years or so... I'm just curious as to why a proper follow up never happened. Why did Keith even entertain the notion of a sequel with another production team? Why the hell did Nagatco sound so ... I don't remember, honestly, but it wasn't the same. That Octagon sound came from a perfect mix of people. Are they feuding, or are they afraid of failure or what?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2013, 08:41 PM   #463
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I can't say I'm really as informed about Keith as I once thought I was, and I definitely feel that he's made/been part of more "Okay" projects than insanely good ones, despite being an insanely good rapper in general. Still, I thought Ther Undertakerz was the best thing he'd been a part of since
Octagagon. (The first Octagon, which is the only Octagon)

Black Elvis and Dr. DOOOM are my other big picks, but I think the first Dooom and Black Elvis were both attempts to recapture the feel of Dr. O without having to repeat himself...Undertakers felt fresh to me, but for some reason it was just fucking reviled by critics and I don't know anyone else who likes it.

So other than Uktramagnetic Mc's, that's about as far as I go with Keith. Love the MC's, love Dr. Octagon, love half of Black Elvis, love both Dooom albums, and the rest of it I either haven't heard, have heard, and sucks, or I just plain don't know about it.

I don't know the politics behind behind the whole thing, but why is it that Keith, Kurt, and Dan have never been tempted to make a true sequel? One would think it would have more cult appeal than Deltron, which is still bringing in new generations of college kids who don't like rap, but wish they did.
Heh, I'm kind of kidding... I love Deltron more every time I binge on it for six months (which happens every couple years or so... I'm just curious as to why a proper follow up never happened. Why did Keith even entertain the notion of a sequel with another production team? Why the hell did Nagatco sound so ... I don't remember, honestly, but it wasn't the same. That Octagon sound came from a perfect mix of people. Are they feuding, or are they afraid of failure or what?

I'm a huge fan sev, and have like everything the guy's done. But honestly the last decade has been ROUGH on him. More bad projects than good. And again, comign from a dude who probably praises the bad ones more than 'normal' folks.
Old 06.22.2013, 12:32 AM   #464
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm a huge fan sev, and have like everything the guy's done. But honestly the last decade has been ROUGH on him. More bad projects than good. And again, comign from a dude who probably praises the bad ones more than 'normal' folks.

I disagree. I think that the only "bad" project he did in the past 10 ten years was that Dr Octagon revival which was clearly a bad attempt and some kind of commercial revival. The reality of Kool Keith is that dude is meant and I dare say DESTINED to remain perpetually underground. His hip hop is art, but without being that contrived "art-rap" like Andre 3000 fiascos.

Dr Dooom 2/Diesel Truckers/Thee Undatakerz/Mr Nogatco/even Tashan Dorrsett have all been solid Kool Keith material, just not quite as popularly received as the first Doc Oc was in like 1998. I don't think Keith ever WANTED to be famous or celebrity or even popular so much as successful, and in that regard, the brother is making a living recording music and performing stage shows. I think he ain't complainin though I heard he was hinting about "retiring" which in Kool Keith world probably means inventing yet another character to rap as

Quote:
Every morning I wake up early, iron my power pants, stand in a power stance

Old 06.22.2013, 08:33 AM   #465
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I disagree. I think that the only "bad" project he did in the past 10 ten years was that Dr Octagon revival which was clearly a bad attempt and some kind of commercial revival. The reality of Kool Keith is that dude is meant and I dare say DESTINED to remain perpetually underground. His hip hop is art, but without being that contrived "art-rap" like Andre 3000 fiascos.

Dr Dooom 2/Diesel Truckers/Thee Undatakerz/Mr Nogatco/even Tashan Dorrsett have all been solid Kool Keith material, just not quite as popularly received as the first Doc Oc was in like 1998. I don't think Keith ever WANTED to be famous or celebrity or even popular so much as successful, and in that regard, the brother is making a living recording music and performing stage shows. I think he ain't complainin though I heard he was hinting about "retiring" which in Kool Keith world probably means inventing yet another character to rap as

you're basically just agreeing with the ones I said were good though. What about Personal Album, White Label, Lost Tapes 1-3... all pretty bad.

Like I said, I love the guy and am always interested. But I'm not going to pretend I think every album is solid.
Old 06.22.2013, 11:48 AM   #466
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
You guys should check out the new Homeboy Sandman album. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone mention him here, but I know there are Stones Throw fans out there. It's a very satisfying listen. Classic throwback shit, nice cover art... I'm impressed.

Old 06.22.2013, 03:03 PM   #467
noisereductions
invito al cielo

new MF Doom mixtape!

http://theneedledrop.com/2013/05/gg-doom-but-how/
Old 06.22.2013, 03:06 PM   #468
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 06.22.2013, 03:32 PM   #469
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.audiomack.com/song/nas/le...remix-feat-nas

great!!! love Nas so much. greatest rapper of all time.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2013, 02:18 PM   #470
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Yeezus restored my faith in modern music.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2013, 09:27 PM   #471
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Yeezus restored my faith in modern music.

Surely you are at best a Jeffersonian Deist about music if that is the case. Me? I like that ol time religion, MUSIC, not musuck

Old 06.25.2013, 10:11 AM   #472
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
El-P & Killer Mike's free collab album is dropping tomorrow.
Old 06.25.2013, 07:56 PM   #473
Severian
invito al cielo

Wait, what? It's free?

How's Yeezus sounding to you guys after a solid week of complete immersion?

It's got me on yet another "all Kanye every day" kick, but I've definitely overdone everything but Cruel Summer, which I seem to appreciate more and more with time. Course there are some tracks that I've yet to see the good in... But shit... Two albums are not going to tide me over for long.

Maybe I'll pull out Watch the Throne, whichI effectively ruined for myself by playing it to death when it came out.
Old 06.26.2013, 06:13 AM   #474
Severian
invito al cielo

Anybody bother with that Homeboy Sandman LP ?
Old 06.26.2013, 09:16 AM   #475
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, what? It's free?
aaand it's out!

http://foolsgoldrecs.com/runthejewels/

just enter your email and you'll get a link.
Old 06.26.2013, 10:17 AM   #476
louder
invito al cielo

listening atm, shit's so dope. not even one wack song.
Old 06.26.2013, 07:15 PM   #477
noisereductions
invito al cielo

just listening to Tribe Called Quest.
Old 06.27.2013, 01:59 PM   #478
Severian
invito al cielo

Finally rocked Midnight Marauders today. It wasn't on vinyl, but it did the trick.

What a great album. I'm going to have to update my Top 25 HipHop Albums List I think. You know, the one I never posted, that it's taken me a full year to complete?

Actually it's not complete to this day. Not that it's been at the front of my mind all this time.
Old 06.27.2013, 06:14 PM   #479
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Midnight Marauders is my favorite hip hop album of all time.
Old 06.27.2013, 06:33 PM   #480
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
aerial view of this cafe 5 minutes ago.

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
212223 24 2526273474 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth