Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page French bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.05.2008, 02:14 PM   #41
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
what about stereolab? and yves montand? and a bunch of others i can't think of righ tnow!

I wouldn't call Stereolab a French band.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:29 PM   #42
sarramkrop

I strongly recommend this compilation. It's fantastic.

VA - IVG Vol. 1, Futur Anterieur, France 75-85 lp

I assume Cheveu have been mentioned on this thread already.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:32 PM   #43
sarramkrop

The track by Alesia Cosmos is worth your money alone.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:36 PM   #44
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
i just won this on epay

A.H.Kraken LP + CD

http://www.myspace.com/ahkraken

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:38 PM   #45
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
i just won this on epay

A.H.Kraken LP + CD

http://www.myspace.com/ahkraken

Yeah, they're ace too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 03:28 AM   #46
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
The Daho thing brings alot back too.
Two nights ago I felt compelled to visit youtube and search for Luna Parker and others. I nearly cried watching Coryne Charby.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=-l70OK...eature=related

Today I typed Edith Nylon and was surprised to see the only song I ever heard - at Born Bad, the recordstore - was there.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_pbzzTNwM (I love the guitar sound and how the singer goes saying "it's me").
Alas, the records no longer exist.

I hoped the track would have been included on the compilation about les jeunes gens modernes, but apparently not.

This compilation, IVG, cited by sarrampork (how did it get to him???) and Cheveu both are on Born Bad records the label (the CD version of IVG, the vinyl's on another label).
The only BB bands I know are Tu Seras Terriblement Gentille (surf band, one 7") and Frustration who are quite good with an influence from early Joy Division. I didn't expect the record to be that fine, to be honest. A wide range of craftsmanship.

Anyway, this Frustration record (by the way the drummer works at Born Bad, the record store) and Cheveu can both be won at : http://www.lecoqin.com/2008/07/15/ga...abel-born-bad/
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 03:59 PM   #47
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Cheveu, Frustration, A.H. Kraken, the "IVG" comp.....now you're talkin' about the kinda Frenchies I like.

Some of the best music at the intersection of garagepunk and synth is happening there. Some of them call it "glue wave" over there.

I also like these...

1400 Points de Suture
Anals
Anteenagers M.C.
Blutt
Cheb Samir
Cheeraks
Crash Normal (made the best 7" of the 90s!)
Dead Clodettes
Electric Guitars
él-g
Feeling of Love
Kania Tieffer (actually Belgian)
l'Eglise Pentateutique des Saints de la Septième Venue du Christ
Le Ton Mité
Lili Z solo stuff
Magnetix
Normals
Opération S
Plastobeton
Subtle Turnhips
Volt
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 04:03 PM   #48
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
serge gainsbourg and francoise hardy
Old 08.06.2008, 04:05 PM   #49
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
air
magma
serge gainsbourg

and that's all i can think of

Ha. Me too. I was wondering who the fuck the rest of these bands were.
Old 08.06.2008, 05:07 PM   #50
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
magma is one of the most important band ever. not to mention one of my favorites. christian vander is a god.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 03:48 PM   #51
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand

This compilation, IVG, cited by sarrampork (how did it get to him???)

Trying to find some info about Ruth on the internet, 'cause somebody put a track by them on a mix for me and I was overwhelmed by how good it was. I myspaced the label that put the comp out on vinyl and got lucky.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 03:48 PM   #52
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
The Daho thing brings alot back too.
Two nights ago I felt compelled to visit youtube and search for Luna Parker and others. I nearly cried watching Coryne Charby.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=-l70OK...eature=related

Today I typed Edith Nylon and was surprised to see the only song I ever heard - at Born Bad, the recordstore - was there.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_pbzzTNwM (I love the guitar sound and how the singer goes saying "it's me").
Alas, the records no longer exist.

I hoped the track would have been included on the compilation about les jeunes gens modernes, but apparently not.

This compilation, IVG, cited by sarrampork (how did it get to him???) and Cheveu both are on Born Bad records the label (the CD version of IVG, the vinyl's on another label).
The only BB bands I know are Tu Seras Terriblement Gentille (surf band, one 7") and Frustration who are quite good with an influence from early Joy Division. I didn't expect the record to be that fine, to be honest. A wide range of craftsmanship.

Anyway, this Frustration record (by the way the drummer works at Born Bad, the record store) and Cheveu can both be won at : http://www.lecoqin.com/2008/07/15/ga...abel-born-bad/

And thanks for that!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 04:21 PM   #53
sarramkrop

I've just finished listening to a rather wonderful record by a psych-folk guy called EL-G. It's called 'Tout Ploie', it's sang in French, and Phil Todd of Ashtray Navigations stars as vocalist on it.

http://www.kraak.net/en/releases.php?ID=81
We first heard the music of Paris-based Laurent Gérard when he forgot a demo-cdr in the tourvan of Jack Rose last year, and directly became one of our favourite French acts of the moment.
él-g makes a strange mix of French ballads and avant-garde song-writing. A pig-headed approach of the French language and ingenious arrangments are the core business of this dude. Tout Ploie is a compilation of both the best tracks from previously released cdr’s and new work. él-g appears as a sort of modern day miniature version of Serge Gainsbourg on this debut-lp. The female singer, Charlene Darling, who accompanies him throughout the most part of the record only makes this comparison more apt. Gérard has never been affraid to buy records of Lee Hazlewood and late Fleetwood Mac. He extracted the right ingredients from those records and added some genuine French sensuality. “Tout Ploie” is the pop album that had to be made for a long time and doesn’t fear experiment with guest appearances of e.g. Ignatz, Phil Todd, Mim and Foxy De Man. [KED04]
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 04:49 PM   #54
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Never heard of it, I'll check it out, thanks.

By the way, if anyone wants one of France's best artists imo, you should check Rubin Steiner. Get yourself Drum Major! or Lo-Fi Nu Jazz Vol. 2 and get on the vibe. I don't know how popular he is outside France, but he already ain't that known there...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 04:50 PM   #55
sarramkrop

Don't take what's written on that review seriously though, he sounds nothing like a 'miniature serge gainsbourg' (what the fuck does that mean?) like it says on there.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 04:53 PM   #56
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
good job you said that, i can't stand serge gainsbourg
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 05:43 PM   #57
sarramkrop

Me neither, The reviewer is obviously a twat who thinks that all music sang in french is automatically gaynsbourg.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2009, 06:19 AM   #58
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
stereolab are english with one french connection..

monade are french tho!
Old 01.18.2009, 06:23 AM   #59
Massassinated
bad moon rising

Massassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's asses
Diabologum have not been mentioned yet. Their album "Ce n'est pas perdu pour tout le monde" is really good.
Old 01.18.2009, 06:59 AM   #60
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah! They really rock. I like Experience and Programme too.

I discovered NLF3 this morning, they seem to be good. They'll be playing live by February 18th in Lille, I might be going
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth