Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mission of Burma, Detroit, 7/28
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.29.2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Pink Maple Floyd
empty page

Pink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's assesPink Maple Floyd kicks all y'all's asses
Last night's concert by Mission of Burma, playing at the Magic Stick, Detroit, was excellent, the best since I saw Stereolab, 3/12/06, at the adjoining Majestic. They played a wealth of music, going back to their first single in 1980, "Academy Fight Song," to music from the new magnificent "The Obliterati."

They dedicated "Fame and Fortune" to Syd Barrett.

Roger Miller (from Ann Arbor), has to be one of the most-underrated guitarists in rock. He took that instrument and made it sing, made it scream.

Peter Prescott and Clint Conley were superlative on bass and drums, with Bob Weston running the loops from the soundboard.

I wonder how he overcame tinnitus, which forced the premature demise of Burma in 1983. Roger's description of tinnitus at the time: "In September a middle E appeared in my left ear" And in December a C-sharp below E formed. In my right ear, a slightly sharp E began in October. They're forming fairly interesting chords that never leave. When it's quiet at night, the notes are screaming."

I think I'll skip Roger Waters concert at the Palace in late September and go see the Radio Birdman/Mudhoney/Dirtbombs concert on September 3rd, and then Mastodon, September 15th, both at the Majestic.

Three CDs in today's mail:

Adrian Belew: "Side Three"
Mercyful Faith: "Don't Break the Oath"
Machine Head: "Burn my Eyes"

Alwa_Schon
Pink Maple Floyd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Mission of Burma are right up there on my 'bands I have to see live" list. I love them.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth