Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SONIC YOUTH in Houston, pics & setlist
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
SONIC YOUTH FUCKING RULED ALL!!!!!!

Holy fuck I had such a great fucking time at the Sonic Youth show! Oh man I cannot get enough of them and what they do and it was amazing and fabulous and fucking sick great and I had a fucking BLAST!
I met up with Heath Hayner and we got blitzed and showed up at the Warehouse Live. We were hanging out when I noticed an old friend, Hernan, bartending! I had not seen him fro about 4 years!!!! He hooked us up and we rocked to the first band, awesome color, a cross between sabbath, MC5, the stooges, and mudhoney. they were good. This picture I took of them came out CRAZY!

we had made our way close to the front, so by the time sonic youth played, we were ready to fucking rock. The show was amazing. Mark Ibold from Pavement played the bass for many songs. Some songs had double bass. Some songs thurplayed bass and kim played guitar. Lee even had an acoustic guitar for "OR"

Here is the setlist, as I wrote it on the back of a sonic youth postcard

I will translate.
REENA - INCINERATE - ERIC'S TRIP - DO YOU BELIEVE IN RAPTURE? - WHAT A WASTE - SCHIZOPHRENIA - TURQUOISE BOY - SLEEPING AROUND - RATS - KOOL THING - NEUTRAL - OR (encore) LIGHTS OUT - JAMS RUN FREE - SHAKING HELL
I might have missed one or two but I am pretty sure this was the setlist.
FUCK THEY WERE FANTASTIC.
Old 06.23.2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Heath and I rocked out hard , and during Kool Thing the crowd started a pit and I turned to heatha nd say "you know, when people are slamming it makes it that much easier to get up close." and so we jumped right in and pounded our way to the front of the crowd! Fuck yeah. So we got up close for the last 6 songs or so...

Once the show ended, with SHAKING HELL,

which had Kim fucking screaming fantastically (I am in love with her), we made our way outside to wait backstage.
we hung out with some young dudes. it always amazes me how many younger fans sonic youth have, considering that most bands that have been around for 25 years or so have a greying fan base. So we wait out there and steve shelley comes out to put some stuff in a minivan they had, and the manager of the place was trying to keep him from the crowd and he pointed at us and said something to the effect of "those are my people." and came over. Sonic youth fans are very polite! We talked to him, I walked up and Steve signed my shirt!!!!! It was a brand new shirt, I had owned it for a month and never wore it, just wore it fr the first time at the show and he signed it!

he then signed Heath's shirt and we thanked him for a fucking fantastic show.
Then we headed home elated and got blitzed again and I did not go to sleep until around 2:30 am. But I am at work!
Old 06.23.2006, 10:09 AM   #3
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 10:09 AM   #4
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Nice pics. You've been tearing up some shows lately, lucky bastard. Shellac, the Youth...

Schizophrenia! Sounds like a great show.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 10:10 AM   #5
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
Thanks for the update. Sounds like another satisfied customer.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Here are some more pics from the show

Here are some more pics from the show

Old 06.23.2006, 10:10 AM   #7
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Well done Mr Instigator... sounds like you had a fantastic time... I enjoyed reading your on the spot report.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Old 06.23.2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

More pics

Old 06.23.2006, 10:39 AM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Old 06.23.2006, 10:40 AM   #11
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome! Sounds great. I can't wait to go. Kool Thing: I hope I get to see that live. Thanks for the coverage.
Old 06.23.2006, 11:30 AM   #12
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

So we wait out there and steve shelley comes out to put some stuff in a minivan they had, and the manager of the place was trying to keep him from the crowd and he pointed at us and said something to the effect of "those are my people." and came over. Sonic youth fans are very polite! We talked to him, I walked up and Steve signed my shirt!!!!! It was a brand new shirt, I had owned it for a month and never wore it, just wore it fr the first time at the show and he signed it!

I may of died right there. Sounds like an amazing show! Can't wait til 08/08/06!!
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I don;t know why but my hand is HUGE in that pic!

no wonder it hurts her when I get two fingers in there....
Old 06.23.2006, 11:42 AM   #14
cloudermilk
empty page

cloudermilk has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Great show last night. I still haven't figured out the 2 bass thing with Mark & Kim. Mark played on almost every song so he knows the songs. I thought maybe he was still learning the songs, but I don't think that's the case. Kool Thing took me by surprise. Sounded fantastic. They are tight live.
cloudermilk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Anarchos
empty page

Anarchos ain't too shabby
My dad dragged me to Houston to visit some family, and I saw that SY was playing at the Warehouse, so I was like "fuck yeah!" Best fucking show I've been to in a long time. And I remember seeing Rob all over the fucking place. What a small world...
Anarchos is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 11:50 AM   #16
cloudermilk
empty page

That's exactly what I was thinking. I saw Rob all over too.
Old 06.23.2006, 12:09 PM   #17
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
And everyone was bitching about their setlists, that one looks fucking great to me. Awesome pictures and i love kim's dress. This makes me even more excited to see them again in august.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:23 PM   #18
thethuthinnang
little trouble girl

thethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to all
Fucking awesome setlist. Sounds like a badass show. I can't wait til Tuesday!
thethuthinnang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:41 PM   #19
Anarchos
empty page

Anarchos ain't too shabby
It really was a basically perfect set. I almost shit my pants when they started Eric's Trip, and when Schizophrenia came on I was 99% sure I was dreaming.
Anarchos is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:52 PM   #20
cloudermilk
empty page

The backdrop was really cool as was the lighting. Don't know if they have their own light person - probably.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth