Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Body Dysmorphia
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.26.2008, 08:29 AM   #1
sarramkrop

Has anyone got any experience with people suffering from this mental disorder?

The reason I'm asking is because I really fancy a guy who looks fine in every respect, and still he hates his body and completely lacks confidence in the way he looks. This has been having repercussions on sexual intercourse because he finds it difficult to to let himself go and believe that someone doesn't see him as a monster-like looking creature.

Anyway, any advice or experiences are more than welcome.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 08:56 AM   #2
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
We all have elements of this, ie parts of our body we hate, or certain times when we beleive ourselves to be ugly, but living with it 24/7 must be a pretty socially crippling thing. Poor guy. How does this effect his sex life though? Surely, for a guy who hates his body getting naked infront of someone must be the hardest part? - and after thats out the way the sex is the less frightening part? I dunno. I guess you just have to tell him to use good old reliable common sense- that is if you/anyone wants to sleep with him, it means hes far from hideous.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 11:35 AM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i don't think you can personally do much other than sing him "i'll be your mirror" in one way or another (literally & metaphorically, that is, show him how you see him). the origins of this could be some kind of serious trauma, & poking around in someone's unconscious is not a task for the uninitiated-- you might unleash the dormant demons and then not know what to do with them. of course i always suggest professional help with this kind of trouble, but in terms of your relationship, you'll need a lot of patience.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 12:12 PM   #4
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't think you can personally do much other than sing him "i'll be your mirror" in one way or another (literally & metaphorically, that is, show him how you see him). the origins of this could be some kind of serious trauma, & poking around in someone's unconscious is not a task for the uninitiated-- you might unleash the dormant demons and then not know what to do with them. of course i always suggest professional help with this kind of trouble, but in terms of your relationship, you'll need a lot of patience.

I agree with this guy. Patience is all you need if you want this relationship to work out.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 01:55 PM   #5
girlgun
invito al cielo

girlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's asses
reassurance is nice. it helps, but i suppose it can get tiring for the person dishing it out.

logically, i guess i have it, but no one can ever convince me that i'm actually not a monster. my dad has it too. he thinks his massively muscular arms are tiny. apparently it's very typical in body builders (my dad isn't, just a long time weight lifter).
girlgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 02:07 PM   #6
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pretty sure I have a BDD. Not so bad to the point where I can't function, but it definitely affects my day to day life.

As for advice, I agree with !@#$%!

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth