Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Users
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.25.2008, 05:56 PM   #41
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
By old I simply meant that you grew up without the internet and when it became more accessible you might have flocked to it. It just seemed to me that perhaps growing up without internet would harbor more positive attitudes about the web. The communitites I find here - which comprise the interweb - lack any....honesty, I guess (mainly a lack of true personality). Such a thing seldom corrupts those who've only been a part of it for the last 15 years or so, but those who are part of it and lack strong will power (majorities) will forget themselves -- scifi unintended.

A good clarification. When I took typing in junior high we used typewriters. Having watched technology get easier to use, I've tended to embrace it for the ease it lets me do things I couldn't do in the past. It used to be that friends from across the planet were an extremely rare thing, for instance.

That said, I wonder where you find communities that are more honest or personal than on the net? Not that there isn't an infinite amount of bullshit online, but where in the flesh world is it any better? The traditional model for face to face communities is church, and if you want to talk about lack of honesty and personality, that's pretty much the extreme. Most of us on this board come from a background of seeking community around music scenes, and while the music is usually better than in church, it's otherwise pretty much just as bad.

The nice thing that the internet does for community is it takes geography out of the equation (which used to be the prime factor in community building). This doesn't fix the fact that people are not perfect, and the main drawback is that people have a protective layer of anonymity that makes them often behave worse than they would face to face. So there's give and take, but there always is.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2008, 06:50 PM   #42
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
If you read my last post you'll see me embracing this view of dishonest community as a whole (in all its manifestations).
I believe I am quite naive.
I just hope, as atari stated, we don't blow it (we being my generation).
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2008, 07:00 PM   #43
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i'm glad i'm old enough for the concept of internet celebrities to be largely off my radar.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2008, 07:03 PM   #44
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm glad i'm old enough for the concept of internet celebrities to be largely off my radar.

Who are they? Ive never even heard the term internet celebrity, let alone know who any of them are.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2008, 07:12 PM   #45
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure If I'm too old to grasp the concept of internet celebs, but nevertheless, I couldn't care less about that sort of stuff.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 08:01 AM   #46
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
If you read my last post you'll see me embracing this view of dishonest community as a whole (in all its manifestations).
I believe I am quite naive.
I just hope, as atari stated, we don't blow it (we being my generation).

For someone so critical of the internet and prejudiced against people older than you are, you surely come across as someone who has high hopes for the internet and less for the reality of people around you.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 08:42 AM   #47
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
the internet is a by product of computers and those of us who are older saw computers become available to every household early on. way back in the vic20, c64, bbc era of computing. i was 6 when i got my first computer, that was at a time when to play a game you had to go and buy code books and type all the code into the machine, then save it on magnetic tape so you could play it again at another time. it was a time before the gui existed and everything had to be done in code. you make it sound like older people don't understand the technology when infact i'm sure those on this board are proably far more aware of the technology and it's consequences in a deeper way than the younger ones on here.

Oh, the memories.

the Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer (CoCo) 2

tape recorder for a BASIC programming/machine language data drive...RS model below

Behold, the start-up screen.

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 09:11 AM   #48
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Talking of obsolete technologies. Though I'm only 18, my age group is a very important one, as my year group was the last to be taught without a computer. After my first year at school, schools, I beleive were required to have a computer. I remember when the first computer arrived at my school, we all gathered round it in awe, and my teacher showed as a CD like it was some limited edition Crass 7" signed by Jesus.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 09:25 AM   #49
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
For someone so critical of the internet and prejudiced against people older than you are, you surely come across as someone who has high hopes for the internet and less for the reality of people around you.

I never expressed prejudice against older people. That is your mistake.
I have a small amount of hope for the effects the internet will have on the reality of the people around me. In this case, if I were to have high hopes for the internet, I would have to believe in its positive influence on reality. So, your right. I even stated in another post the internet may just be an unjustifiable scapegoat.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2008, 09:22 PM   #50
Johnny "Magic Fingers"
children of satan

Johnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's asses
Aw, now I gotta post a pic of my first ever computer.

The AMSTRAD CPC-464 MICROCOMPUTER

If you just wanted to draw a circle, you had to go through all this:

10 CLS
20 FOR A=1 TO 360
30 PLOT 320, 200
40 DRAW 320*200 COS A, 200*190 SIN A
50 NEXT
RUN

Geeze, that takes me back!
Johnny "Magic Fingers" is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth