Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2017
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.12.2017, 09:53 PM   #181
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Fuck man, you don't have shitty taste. You just like an artist that "isn't my thing." That's all. I'm sure he's not horrible, or untalented, or anything like that. I have listened to his albums before and never really felt much of anything, but plenty of people I know and respect like him.

There's no such thing as "shitty taste."

You know that one really pompous actor guy who tries to look humble and be lovable all the time? Uh... James Franco! Yeah! Well... he's kind of a nutjob, and bring a lifelong celebrity has gone to his head (he once admonished people who don't fulfill their dreams because when he wants to make a movie, he just "knuckles under" and "gets it done" ... forgetting perhaps that not everyone who has "dreams" is a famous, Oscar nominated, millionaire with the world at his fingertips) ... but ANYWAY... he once said something kind of cool:

"I reject the idea of a 'good career.' I was up for an Oscar at the same time I was in General Hospital."

Now, that's a serious humble-brag and a half, and like I said he's a nutjob, but there's a kernel of truth in this and how it applies to "good" vs. "bad" art stuff.

I kind of reject the idea of "good taste in music." If you listen to what you like, you're doing it right, and you listen to plenty of stuff from all over the place, so get that "shitty taste" thing out of your head.

I agree w you dude. I was just being emo haha.

For the record I respect Franco tho. He does some crazy shit. Follows his heart maybe.

Plus Freaks n Geeks rules.
Old 03.14.2017, 05:03 PM   #182
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
NEW JLIN ALBUM, MOTHERFUCKAAAAAAS!

Black Origami, out May 19 on Planet Mu

Dark Energy was one of my favorite albums of 2015. Absolute favorites. Seriously fucking glorious and demented. Really looking forward to this.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2017, 09:54 AM   #183
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
New Actress - AZD out April 14

Old 03.16.2017, 01:43 AM   #184
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
new Actress? nice. cheers for update.

Rejoice all ye ambient addicts; Wolfgang Voigt has revealed his first GAS record in 17 years. Due out April 21st through the producer’s Kompakt imprint, Narkopop is a triple LP featuring 10 vaguely titled tracks

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2017, 08:02 AM   #185
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
New Actress - AZD out April 14

Oh yes!

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2017, 03:26 PM   #186
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Promise
Yes!

I heard Karkhana, the super group from Middle East with Zerang, will finally release a studio album this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaoTYqmfWhg

Sounds promising!
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2017, 03:50 PM   #187
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is looking more and more like the one called "Severian's electronic music gastritis hole in the wall". Narkopop sounds promising and all (I'm a Zauberberg kinda feller myself), but for fucked-up kerrang's sakes, let's bring on some ROCK!

Royal Trux — "Live": Platinum Tips + Ice Cream (June 16)

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2017, 09:58 PM   #188
Severian
invito al cielo

I'm all for new ROCK! There's just not a ton of great stuff happening in the genre right now. But THIS ^^^ is most definitely something to get excited about.

I urge everyone to read the description on Drag City. When I saw this post I was like, "Ok, another archival type thing to buy but not to get pumped about." But it's not that. Well, it is something to buy. But it's not "just a live album."

Sweet, sweet. More of this stuff please.
Old 03.21.2017, 10:27 AM   #189
Severian
invito al cielo

Well, the new Spoon record is good. Probably comes off a bit more effortless and purely satisfying than that new Lips album that I haven't listened to since a couple weeks after it dropped.

So... so far Spoon is totally winning the indie rock comeback contest for 2017. I don't think Jesus & Mary Chain even deserves consideration. Their new one sounds so far like a half-arsed rehash of their worst material. Too bad.
Old 03.29.2017, 08:03 PM   #190
betweenthebars
empty page

betweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's asses
Both tracks released from the upcoming Slowdive album are as solid and interesting as anything they've done in my opinion. Definitely the 2017 album I'm most looking forward to at this point.
betweenthebars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2017, 09:11 PM   #191
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah I'm looking forward to new Slowdive, but I'm holding off on the singles. At least for now.

I'm interested in the new Gortilaz album, but not pumped about it.

New Kendrick Lamar has me pretty goddamn excited. Hoping it really does drop on April 7.
Old 03.31.2017, 09:34 AM   #192
Severian
invito al cielo

I'd forgotten about this new Wolf Eyes album. In fact I didn't remember it was a thing until yesterday. But it's out now, and I've gotta say it's pretty fucking good. For real. Especially the first track.

WOLF EYES - Undertow

Old 03.31.2017, 05:01 PM   #193
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

Devon Sproule's new album, The Gold String, out today.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 03.31.2017, 05:37 PM   #194
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
And there's a new Land of Talk coming out soon, very excited about that one. She's such a great songwriter
Steve Shelley and Sharon Van Etten are on the record
Old 04.11.2017, 10:16 PM   #195
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Half Japanese has a new album called Roar Of The Lions. I really like what I've heard of it. It takes their "classic" sound and adds some new elements without losing the band's essence. I just wish they would get back to more touring. And it seems like when they've done any live dates the past few years, they can't be bothered getting the word out about them.

William Matheny: remember that name. Nothing is guaranteed but death and taxes but I believe you'll be hearing a lot more about him as time goes by. His debut (I think) album is called Strange Constellations, which is also the name of his backing band. Matheny is a first rate songwriter. The music blends country and rock but there's no bro country bullshit--more like a rock band that wants to incorporate some country without letting it take over. He is playing the smallest stage of a three stage venue Thursday (4/13/2017) night. I already have a ticket to see Jonathan Richman at the venue's "middle stage" and I hope to see William (whose show starts later) afterward.

Big Stick is supposed to finally have their new album out this year but since they've been working on it for, oh, twenty-three years or so, I'm not holding my breath.

I wish I could say I'm excited about The Fall's upcoming album, New Facts Emerge, but I didn't buy their last one after wasting money on the two prior to that. I think Mark E. Smith might have finally lost it--hope I'm wrong.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2017, 06:04 AM   #196
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Half Japanese has a new album called Roar Of The Lions. I really like what I've heard of it. It takes their "classic" sound and adds some new elements without losing the band's essence. I just wish they would get back to more touring. And it seems like when they've done any live dates the past few years, they can't be bothered getting the word out about them.

William Matheny: remember that name. Nothing is guaranteed but death and taxes but I believe you'll be hearing a lot more about him as time goes by. His debut (I think) album is called Strange Constellations, which is also the name of his backing band. Matheny is a first rate songwriter. The music blends country and rock but there's no bro country bullshit--more like a rock band that wants to incorporate some country without letting it take over. He is playing the smallest stage of a three stage venue Thursday (4/13/2017) night. I already have a ticket to see Jonathan Richman at the venue's "middle stage" and I hope to see William (whose show starts later) afterward.

Big Stick is supposed to finally have their new album out this year but since they've been working on it for, oh, twenty-three years or so, I'm not holding my breath.

I wish I could say I'm excited about The Fall's upcoming album, New Facts Emerge, but I didn't buy their last one after wasting money on the two prior to that. I think Mark E. Smith might have finally lost it--hope I'm wrong.

Re: Fall

I'm not positive, but I don't think I've purchased a new, non-reissue Fall album since Fall Heads Roll.

And I fucking love the Fall. Hex Enduction Hour is one of my favorite albums, like, ever. And This Nation's Saving Grace? Forget about it. Awesome. Pretty much all of it was so awesome for so long.

But I'm kinda with you on this.
Old 04.13.2017, 05:03 PM   #197
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From Wilco HQ:

Quote:
Together At Last, a new Jeff Tweedy solo acoustic collection, out June 23

The official press release describes Together At Last as "intimate," but what they really mean is: This is Jeff Tweedy and these are his songs… 11 of them from the Wilco catalog and beyond [Loose Fur and Golden Smog rarities], laid bare for your listening pleasure. And while we know most of you have never been to the loft (aka The Loft) trust us when we say, this is the next best thing to being there.

Listen to "Laminated Cat" today, and get the track instantly when you preorder Together At Last in the Wilco Store.

Preorder now on 180g black vinyl, CD and limited edition vinyl boxset, including an exclusive clear LP pressing and 16x16 puzzle. Get shirts, totes and bundles, too.

Old 04.13.2017, 06:35 PM   #198
Severian
invito al cielo

New Kendrick Lamar out in about 5 hours.

There's a new Blonde Redhead EP and it's quite fucking good!
Old 04.14.2017, 02:12 PM   #199
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
Gas - Narkopop (coming soon)
Linda Catlin Smith - Drifter (beautiful)
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2017, 01:14 PM   #200
latorami
little trouble girl

latorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asseslatorami kicks all y'all's asses
I know that literally everyone online is talking about this but the new Kendrick is so fucking good. Not better than TPaB tho.

plus the cover is terrible
latorami is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth