Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 30 records of 08 at this point...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.20.2008, 02:29 PM   #181
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
it looks right up my alley. d/ling now

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2008, 03:17 PM   #182
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Zazen Boys is up your alley. "WEEK-END! WEEK-UH-END!"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2008, 03:55 PM   #183
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
eat skull and evangalista are the only 2 i can think of. but ive barely heard any.

if your listening to no age then you are either just being mediocre on purpose or you are using yr ears wrong.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2008, 05:39 PM   #184
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Repped for exactness.

Old 09.20.2008, 08:07 PM   #185
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses

can you say, "best record of all time"?

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2008, 09:07 PM   #186
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
i know it's a re-release, but the gas-nuh und fern box is pretty bloody incredible
Old 09.22.2008, 05:29 PM   #187
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
im going down all the records dj rick mentioned that i havnt heard yet, im only at davila 666 and i already have two more to add to my list.

cheveu-s/t
davila 666 (holy shit, perfect soul blues punk rock from puerto rico)

billy bao is invading my soul lately too, i watch more of thier live performances on youtube than i listen to thier records.

ok, a record that i havnt seen mentioned by any of you that i want you all to hear is graveyards' new record 'grey'. the band is john olson and two free improv jazz alums ben hall and hans buetow. i thought this was gonna be your standard borbetomagus noise jazz thing, which woulda been fine because i generally love that stuff, but this record was very refreshing. it sorta sounds like a vintage esp free jazz doing the soundtrack to some ridiculously scary underground 70s horror film. the noise is there too obviously, but this is heavy in a much more subtle and creepy way. this is my favorite record john olson has been on (and lord knows theres a shitload).

listen to pink reason
Old 09.22.2008, 05:30 PM   #188
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
i know it's a re-release, but the gas-nuh und fern box is pretty bloody incredible

yeah man, wolfgang voigt is a g.

listen to pink reason
Old 09.22.2008, 09:27 PM   #189
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
When you guys realize in 10-15 years that 2007-2008 was a halcyon age for underground records (and the best one in almost 30 years), you'll wish you weren't listening to the same dead bands from decades ago while you were young.

My list so far...

Agent Side Grinder self-titled
Billy Bao The Dialectics of Shit
Blank Dogs On Two Sides
Cave Hunt Like Devil/JAMZ
Cheveu self-titled
Danava UnonoU
Davila 666 self-titled
Dead Science Villainaire
Dead Western Soften Your Screams into Sings
Doxa Sinistra Conveyor Belt
Eat Skull Sick to Death
Evangelista Hello, Voyager
Eddy Current Suppression Ring Primary Colours
Goslings Occasion
Hank IV Refuge in Genre
Hospitals Hairdryer Peace
Mattress Heavy Duty
Melchior, Dan und Das Menace Christmas for the Crows
NoBunny Love Visions
Nothing People Anonymous
Pocahaunted/Christina Carter split LP
Pumice Quo
Pyha The Haunted House
Russian Tsarlag / Blue Shift split LP
Sexy Prison Filth Flarn Filth
Silentist self-titled
Thee Oh Sees The Master Bedroom...
Wax Museums self-titled
v/a: Emergency Room vol 1
v/a: Festival der Genialen Dissidenten

If you want 7" releases, I could probably drop 50 really easy...and then it would be a touch choice to whittle it to 30.

ok, ive spent the last 5 hours tracking, downloading, listening, and it a few cases, ordering those records that i had already not heard, these very much grabbed me.

agent side grinder-s/t

holy shit was this refreshing to hear. industrial synth pop done the right way! this sounded like the best vintage 80s underground synth stuff, but it still has sort of a menacing quality to it, love it.

cheveu-s/t

amazing stuff, id always avoided this band for some reason.

dead western-soften your screams into kings

the best of the lot. this is exactly what music has been missing.

hank IV-refuge in genre

i had heard the last record, third person view, and enjoyed it. this is just great garage/blues punk.

nothing people-anonymous

amazing minimalist psych blues punk. excellent vocals, and distorted guitar galore.

sexy prison-filthflarnfilth

the second best of the lot. wierdo punk album of the year.

thanks dj rick, youve caught me up.

listen to pink reason
Old 09.23.2008, 07:24 AM   #190
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I re-listened to that hospitals record. I like it a lot more than I did the first time. It has the worst production I've ever heard on a record, ever, which I guess might attract some people to it but it also makes it a chore to listen to, especially on your first listen. However, this time, I saw through the muck and actually listened to the songs and most of them are really good.

I love lo-fi music but this was so lo-fi as to be ridiculous!

Old 09.23.2008, 08:48 AM   #191
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
deerhoof new one is top notch shit by the way......

hospitals as well, this is a great year for music. better than last year and that was damn good!
Old 09.23.2008, 09:05 AM   #192
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
just ordered the hospitals LP. 3 days till its shipped across the ocean. cant wait
!
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 09:40 AM   #193
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I listened to some of the new David Grubbs (Gastr Del Sol, Bastro, Squirrel Bait, etc) solo album and what I heard is really good. His most Gastr-like solo album so far.

Old 09.23.2008, 12:38 PM   #194
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I re-listened to that hospitals record. I like it a lot more than I did the first time. It has the worst production I've ever heard on a record, ever, which I guess might attract some people to it but it also makes it a chore to listen to, especially on your first listen. However, this time, I saw through the muck and actually listened to the songs and most of them are really good.

haha. thats exactly what i lvoe about the hospitals, they are ridiculously lo-fi, thats like the whole point of the band. i did notice that they definitley upped the scum noise and toned down the rock on this album. like i said, not as good as 'rich people', but still great.

listen to pink reason
Old 09.23.2008, 12:38 PM   #195
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
deerhoof new one is top notch shit by the way......

hospitals as well, this is a great year for music. better than last year and that was damn good!

whats deerhoof like? im always excited for new deerhoof.

listen to pink reason
Old 09.23.2008, 12:57 PM   #196
batreleaser
invito al cielo

more good 08 records alert:

moss-sub templum
this is fucking dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom metal. it sounds like the earlier, most lo-fi electric wizard demo tapes, but its waay heavier and darker and more fucked up than electric wizard. one of the raddest looking bands ever, they look like biker straight outa hell!

o, and merzbow's new one-dolphin sonar
lets face it, merzbow's recordings have become less mesmerizing over the years, especially with how much ridiculously heavy and harsh some of the best noise has gotten. bu merzbow has never been about totally pummpeling his audience to death (he does sometimes), but his noise is about atmosphere and dynamics. merz is a hippie. this is hippiearsh noise. its a concept record about a slaughterning of thousands of dolphins in japan a couple years back, and merzbow likes animals. its an inspired album. this is just three inventive noise tracks with electronics and guitars. when merzbow is playing guitars, it can only be good.

listen to pink reason
Old 09.23.2008, 01:40 PM   #197
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

That's the thing about this Hairdryer Peace record.....it's a grower on many listeners. It takes you to a completely different mindspace which requires some orientation usually. For a lotta the slackjawed neanderthals on the TermBo board, drugs had to be involved. But since I'm basically part of the "straight-edge" "youth" "of today", my sober view was that it was immediately awesome. Best Hospitals record so far. It's also a beautiful record to behold.....it feels so much like a 70's private press era relic. Mysterious front cover, blank white back cover, and yet he paid good money to print the insert? No band name except on that giant low-grade orange sticker that looked like an afterthought. It's so personal....no label woulda had the guts to put it out. Can you imagine that phonecall? "Adam....You want me to pay a printer to make a really nice insert, but leave the back cover blank?!?!" That's why it had to be self-released, I figure.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 01:43 PM   #198
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
and the new los llamaradas records hasn't been released yet, it's going to be sick.

I've heard parts of it....yes, it will definitely wedge its way into the top of my list.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 03:24 PM   #199
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha.

That review of the hospitals record was great.

Old 09.23.2008, 05:09 PM   #200
batreleaser
invito al cielo

yellow swans-deterioration is amazing, too. no one has mentioned that. its as good as 'at all ends'.

listen to pink reason
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth