Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.03.2012, 07:10 PM   #1441
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, G Neville was probably the most underrated of that entire 'golden' generation. You're right, he never really looked the part but was a brilliant defender. It'll be interesting seeing how he does as defensive coach. I reckon even now he's still better than Johnson and the way things are going he may have to don his shin pads again come Monday. We can only hope.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2012, 07:22 PM   #1442
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah, G Neville was probably the most underrated of that entire 'golden' generation. You're right, he never really looked the part but was a brilliant defender. It'll be interesting seeing how he does as defensive coach. I reckon even now he's still better than Johnson and the way things are going he may have to don his shin pads again come Monday. We can only hope.

Im still expecting absolutely fuck all. The Portugal/Holland/Germany group is more interesting at the moment

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2012, 08:28 PM   #1443
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it's actually quite nice not having that burden of expectation (unless expecting not to get past the group stage counts as expectation). And I'm actually a lot more comfortable with footballing despair than I am optimism. I remember feeling almost envious of the French in the last world cup. Their meltdown really was world class. If things are gonna fuck up for England, let them really fuck up, I say. If we can't come back as winners we may as well come back as the ultimate footballing disaster in the tournament. I'm hoping for brawls after Terry calls Defoe a pickaninny during training. I'm hoping Neville will run onto the pitch mid game to twat Glen Johnson after he makes yet another misjudged gallop forward, leaving the defence exposed. I'm hoping of leaked rumours that a WAG did the nasty with a Ukrainian Mafia boss.
Old 06.03.2012, 09:53 PM   #1444
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
poor US. we used to have a team..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 01:24 AM   #1445
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, I never saw it but drawing with Canada is pretty bad. Did Dempsey play?

Although a big name, I really don't think Klinsmann was the answer for you guys.
Old 06.04.2012, 03:06 AM   #1446
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm hoping of leaked rumours that a WAG did the nasty with a Ukrainian Mafia boss.

That would truly be brilliant...
What could top that, I don't know...
Surely, some team will come up with something...
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 10:00 AM   #1447
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

You've actually got some great players and you're thrashing of Scotland should show more than a draw with Canada.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 10:43 AM   #1448
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

pscheh...

this US team is probably better than ever in terms of quality players. it's a growing sport here and this new generation is showing it by playing in top teams abroad.

also

1) what h8kurdt said!

2) http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/sto...aly-first-time

still, these are friendlies, no real stakes except maybe a bit of pride, so don't expect the moon tomorrow. klinsmann is trying out different systems. please get informed of why and how in this article:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/...-formation-for

i expect klinsmann to do better than bradley. bradley is a good guy and i wish him well working for egypt, but professionally he doesn't have the chops to build a world-class team. klinsmann has had his career ups and downs, but he operates at a different level than bradley-- have some patience and see you in 2 years.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 03:56 PM   #1449
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I think the major plus for the US now is that, in Donovan and Dempsey, they have two players that can reasonably have a team built around them. The danger is that they become a Gerrard-Lampard problem: too similar and end up cancelling each other out.

As el Symbols says, Klinsmann has two years to get it right. I'm still not convinced he's the right man but saying that, I don't know who I would've chosen instead. And at least he's now in a situation where he knows who his two best players are, which has to make any further team selections a lot more straightforward.
Old 06.04.2012, 07:13 PM   #1450
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Just to say, there's a great article in this week's Time magazine by Bill Saporito.

I couldn't find a link to his article so you'll have to buy it if you're interested but it is really worth a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
That would truly be brilliant...
What could top that, I don't know...
Surely, some team will come up with something...

He's apparently doubtful with injury but if he goes, Mario Balotelli has to give Italy the potential edge there. Although John Terry will always put England in contention.
Old 06.04.2012, 07:17 PM   #1451
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Just to say, there's a great article in this week's Time magazine by Bill Saporito.

I couldn't find a link to his article so you'll have to buy it if you're interested but it is really worth a read.

Thats all well and good, but why is he standing like a ballerina?

Old 06.04.2012, 07:21 PM   #1452
demonrail666
invito al cielo

A slot on Strictly if things go as tits up as we expect this June?
Old 06.04.2012, 07:25 PM   #1453
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Well Audley Harrison is still boxing, so anythings possible

Old 06.04.2012, 10:44 PM   #1454
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Of possible interest to US posters in this thread ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-brazil-canada
Old 06.07.2012, 08:13 AM   #1455
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
what do people make of ferdinands exclusion from the squad?

i'm finding hard to swallow the "footballing matters" argument to be honest.
He played alot of toward the end of the season and played well.
i'd certainly rather have him than Kelley
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2012, 09:00 AM   #1456
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'd rather Ferdinand too but I think his exclusion is valid. 'Footballing matters' can extend to harmony in the squad and while we'll never know for sure, having Ferdinand and Terry in the same squad would arguably undermine that harmony. The option (if you accept that harmony theory) is to take one or the other (or leave both behind) and, while I personally can't stand Terry, I'd say he's had the slightly better season. But whichever way you look at it, it's a mess.
Old 06.07.2012, 09:15 AM   #1457
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
i wonder if terry himself has a say in the matter ("i won't play if he gets selected")?
how big is his power/influence, keeping in mind that the manager's been appointed only a couple of months ago, as well as the suggesstions that the senior players were running chelsea, etc.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2012, 11:51 AM   #1458
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I doubt if even Terry would make that kind of ultimatum. All i know is that if I was Ferdinand I wouldn't play alongside Terry. The FA was stupid postponing the trial till after the Euros. Surely it would've been better for the stability of the squad had a verdict been reached before the tournament. As it is there's this constant doubt and controversy hanging over things.

Personally I think the FA should've suspended Terry until the result of the trial (as would've happened in plenty of other areas of work.) But they didn't, so all the pressure of making that decision has fallen on the manager who can really only cite footballing reasons. So I do feel sorry for Hodgson. If he'd dropped Terry (without FA backing) he'd be condemned as judging him guilty before the trial. If he took both, the media would be all about rifts in the camp. So leaving out Ferdinand seems like the best of a very bad set of options available to him. Of course, if he had taken Ferdinand instead, we'd at least be sure that Terry would turn up, in full kit, regardless.

Terry's a good player but the sooner he's not an option for the England team, the better. He's just too much trouble. And even without Ferdinand there, I wonder just how many of the remaining squad (black or white) have their own issues about playing alongside him.

--

Further to the Ferdinand/Terry issue, fears about racist abuse in Ukraine has prompted some players (most notably Balotelli) to say they'll walk off the pitch if they're racially abused during a game. Platini has said any player who does walk off will be automatically booked. It could all get really interesting.
Old 06.07.2012, 02:25 PM   #1459
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I don't wanna go on a massive rant about it but all I say is that there's no way Ferdinand would be able to play all the matches. His back has been an issue for a while now. Hell even Ferguson has said he didn't think Ferdinand would be up for it.

Terry has been more consistent and there's no threat of an injury re-occurring.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2012, 04:24 PM   #1460
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Further to the Ferdinand/Terry issue, fears about racist abuse in Ukraine has prompted some players (most notably Balotelli) to say they'll walk off the pitch if they're racially abused during a game. Platini has said any player who does walk off will be automatically booked. It could all get really interesting.

which is only gonna encourage the idiots to sing racist chants and make monkey noises and try to get balotelli to walk

i do wonder if ferdinand had said to hodgson he couldn't play with terry. that leaves hodgson with no choice but to say "fuck you then"
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
63707172 73 74757683123173573 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth