Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2018, 09:48 PM   #23041
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
So not worth it in so many ways, except I stand by my claim the soundtrack is the best part, which I don't think was disputed other than it not being a great soundtrack. That, in itself, says how bad the movie itself is.
yesbut

it’s john boorman!

it must mean something ha ha ha ha ha ha
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2018, 11:10 PM   #23042
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
LOVE ON THE RUN (original title “l’amour en fuite”, françois truffaut, 1979)

this was not as hilarious as its predecessors mainly because it quotes heavily and i mean heavily from them. so if you just saw the previous movies a day or a week ago, like i just did, about maybe a quarter of the length was cut from them and spliced into this, ha ha ha, ha ha haha. “flashbacks”.

but hey, it was the last of the adventures of antoine doinel, and it adds a bit to the legend. the end was satisfying.

truffaut died too soon, just 5 years later, and funny that “l’homme qui aimait les femmes” (“the man who loved women”), which was his last i think? was, oh, @bout a dead man who also had a bit of a fetish for ladies’ calves. which could have been a continuation of this i guess. was it? i cant recall.

but anyway now i wanna go back and watch the 400 blows again...

it has been fun

but he died too soon

—-

waaaaaaait no no no. i got thrown off the dates by a 1983 blake edwards movie that ripped off the title lolol. truffaut’s man who loved women was from 77. but was it doinelesque or what. i say yes a bit. yes.
Old 11.08.2018, 12:30 PM   #23043
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

peter weir’s THE PLUMBER (1979)

it’s billed as a horror movie, but while it has its creepy and scary moments, i ended up feeling it more as a dark comedy, which was fine! yes, highly entertaining.

production wise it reminds me a lot of cronenberg movies from the 70s, without the special effects. no monsters or paranormals here, just people.

the story—the story is great!

without giving away too much SPOILERS SPOILERS...

i think that movie the cable guy with jim carrey i think it was, was ripped from this.

END SPOILERS

anyway, good stuff, a lot of ambiguous conversations a great plus in a genre often characterized by obvious shit.highly watchable! do not be mislead by the schlocky poster.
Old 11.09.2018, 04:12 PM   #23044
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

lno horror season is complete without cronenberg!

THE BROOD (1979) is fucking great, of course. this is not the first time ive seen it and it wont be the last either (unless i die first, lol).

just so good.... what can i say? i dont know. dreams and the body... scanners, videodrome, naked lunch, existenz... it’s always the intersection of dreams and the body. even the fly while not being exactly that is that after all.

dammit i need to rewatch “crash” soon. dont know that theres a hornier movie than crash.
Old 11.10.2018, 02:48 AM   #23045
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
That was a great article and yeah, so much better than the actual film. Shame there's not a 'Making of' documentary out there.

Also loved this anecdote:

Schrader is convinced he can manage Lohan. He thinks he has seen it all. Thirty years ago, he directed an alcoholic George C. Scott in “Hardcore.” One day, Scott wouldn’t come out of his trailer. He called Schrader into his booze-soaked sanctuary.

“You’re a great screenwriter but the world’s worst goddamned director,” Scott said. “Promise me you’ll never direct another movie, and I’ll come out.”

All this Schrader talk and it turns out that he had a new movie come out this year starring Ethan Hawke Film called First Reformed. it actually sounds like it's a decent film. Anyone seen it?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2018, 03:29 AM   #23046
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
All this Schrader talk and it turns out that he had a new movie come out this year starring Ethan Hawke Film called First Reformed. it actually sounds like it's a decent film. Anyone seen it?
no

just wanted to say i had a megalol the other day at your recounting of the queen movoe where the non-freddies are trying to make themselves look like saints ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha

dat bottomed gorls wast written by freddie wassit.
Old 11.10.2018, 10:14 AM   #23047
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

man i am a terrible speller when drinking
Old 11.10.2018, 10:42 AM   #23048
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it was a bad attempt at a German accent!

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2018, 11:19 AM   #23049
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

haha no

had friends over, and now a hangover

Old 11.10.2018, 06:58 PM   #23050
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ and yeah thats what i watched

david cronenberg’s SCANNERS (1981)

brilliant, and cheaply done, foreshadows a lot of what we’d see later on VIDEODROME, thematically and plot wise

bicarbon amalgamate —> spectacular optical
Old 11.10.2018, 10:23 PM   #23051
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

DEAD RINGERS (Cronenberg, 1988)

medical horror is definitely cronenberg’s specialty. this one rates not as horrible or terrifying as one would expect, it’s more creepy and depressing than anything. jeremy irons is amazing in this, playing identical twins, and the story and visuals are excellent. great effects. plus a couple of moments right out of “the brood”. so much fun to watch these movies together. goodbye, filmstruck!
Old 11.11.2018, 09:38 AM   #23052
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Cronenberg is not my kind of beast anymore. I can’t handle that body horror stuff when it’s so dated looking. I respect him as a filmmaker for sure, but too bleak for me anymore.

(Also lost a ton of respect for him when he railed against a certain Christopher Nolan film from 2008, calling it a “tent pole” project —think he even coined the term—which it 100% absolutely was not, and he can eat it.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2018, 10:10 AM   #23053
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a huge fan of Cronenberg's more recent stuff but I LOVE what he was doing in the 70s-80s. The more I think about it, his 5 movie run from Shivers through to Videodrome might be the most impressive in all horror films. Even compared with other genre heavyweights like Argento, Carpenter and Romero (even if they occasionally made better individual films). But Shivers-Rabid-Brood-Scanners-Videodrome is a ridiculously good run. Dead Zone wasn't bad but you could see he was starting to lose his footing a bit and his output from then became a bit more patchy.

(I'm conveniently ignoring Fast Company, which was pretty crap and not a horror film)
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2018, 10:12 AM   #23054
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

conenberg >>> nolin
Old 11.11.2018, 07:34 PM   #23055
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

I liked this. The movie is violent but the violence is not done in a way to feel exploitive. Also Johnny Greenwood does the score.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2018, 07:24 AM   #23056
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Dead Man's Shoes

Still in a league of its own. A perfect 10.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2018, 08:21 AM   #23057
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not a huge fan of Cronenberg's more recent stuff but I LOVE what he was doing in the 70s-80s. The more I think about it, his 5 movie run from Shivers through to Videodrome might be the most impressive in all horror films. Even compared with other genre heavyweights like Argento, Carpenter and Romero (even if they occasionally made better individual films). But Shivers-Rabid-Brood-Scanners-Videodrome is a ridiculously good run. Dead Zone wasn't bad but you could see he was starting to lose his footing a bit and his output from then became a bit more patchy.

(I'm conveniently ignoring Fast Company, which was pretty crap and not a horror film)

I didn’t even know/remember that Cronenberg did Dead Zone.

Totally different kind of horror movie from the ones you mentioned though. Less dysmorphic insanity and more ... uh... flashbacks of rape and Chris Walken getting migraines. Not up his alley. Don’t blame him for not nailing that.

Anywho, that movie ANNIHILATION had some shit in it that makes Cronenberg’s body horror seem almost obsolete to me.

#thatbearthing #ohmahgod
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2018, 09:19 AM   #23058
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

woke up with wife at 4 AM, cooked two perfect ribeyes, and mushroms, feasted, and then sat to watch this....

what a fucking piece of shit. GODDAMN I hate shit like this. Stupiud, stupid, navel gazing nonsense, just showing visually allegorical scenes and images to try and be deep about how fukcing horrible writers/artists/creatives are with the people around them. what a fucking wankathon. so stupid. so obvious. Pointless, even to anyoen who had never seen trhe various films and horror tropes this stupid movie ripped off. what a fucking pathetic piece iof shit. I could spend all week ranting about every specific detail of this stupid stupid stupid movie./ Like an even more pointless David Lynch self-flagellation....
Old 11.12.2018, 09:20 AM   #23059
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
like being bludgeouned with the most inartful, naive, stupid concepts by a mouthbreathing troglodyte.
Old 11.12.2018, 10:14 AM   #23060
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

woke up with wife at 4 AM, cooked two perfect ribeyes, and mushroms, feasted, and then sat to watch this....

what a fucking piece of shit. GODDAMN I hate shit like this. Stupiud, stupid, navel gazing nonsense, just showing visually allegorical scenes and images to try and be deep about how fukcing horrible writers/artists/creatives are with the people around them. what a fucking wankathon. so stupid. so obvious. Pointless, even to anyoen who had never seen trhe various films and horror tropes this stupid movie ripped off. what a fucking pathetic piece iof shit. I could spend all week ranting about every specific detail of this stupid stupid stupid movie./ Like an even more pointless David Lynch self-flagellation....
haaaa haaaaa haaaaaaaa

i’ve only seen the beginning

started and then i don’t know what happened

i wouldnt let ed harris come into my house lololol
653105311031143115011511152 1153 115411551156116312031253 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth