Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 2009 Set Lists -- POST HERE!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.09.2009, 08:43 AM   #81
Gang Of One
empty page

Gang Of One has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
i like that they can get away with playing songs a trillion times, don't play them for a couple years, and then bring the same songs back and everybody acts like it's the most shocking thing ever. don't get me wrong, 'white kross' and 'shadow of a doubt' and even 'tom violence' etc are all great songs but does nobody remember the first half of this decade?

(i know i totally sound like a downer asshole, but i do LOVE these set lists, i just find the reaction funny! "whoa! white kross! tom violence! two of the songs they've literally played more often than any other songs ever! rare!!")

I felt the same as you do, having seen Sonic Youth 10 times since 1995 (and never since 2005). Then i checked the facts, going to your concert chronology in order to count the number of times i've heard each song.

Seen 4 times : Bull In The heather, Schizophrenia, Teenage Riot, Sunday and Kool Thing
Seen 3 times : Expressway, White Kross, Eric's Trip, Shadow Of A Doubt and most of ATL.

I'd have said i'd seen Tom Violence numerous times but as a matter of fact it only happened once. Guess it blew my mind so completely as a show opener that i remember it very accuraterly. On the contrary, Kool Thing, i wouldn't have said i'd seen it so often.

So yeah, i'm with you here, DV69, White Kross, Shadow Of A doubt, She is Not Alone, Tom Violence, Expressway, as great as they are, wouldn't stand out as big surprises.
A song they haven't played in the past 15 years, like Green Light or Stereo Sanctity, THAT would be awesome (and they will have time to rehearse before their show in Paris in october)
Gang Of One is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 10:22 AM   #82
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
Inhuman, in Paris 2002... That was a great surprise for us! :-)
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 10:46 AM   #83
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Is anybody going to post the Richmond setlist? Did I miss it somewhere or is it the fact that it's a weekday and it'll go up when attendees get home from work today?
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 10:48 AM   #84
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
I went to the show, do not remember the exact order, but they did bust
out "Incinerate", "Jams Run Free" and "Pink Steam" in addition to everything
off Eternal except "Thunderclap" as well as "Sprawl", "Cross the Breeze"
and "DV69".
Old 07.09.2009, 11:00 AM   #85
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Is anybody going to post the Richmond setlist? Did I miss it somewhere or is it the fact that it's a weekday and it'll go up when attendees get home from work today?

I head that show hasn't ended yet. They started The Diamond Sea at 1am last night with the promise to keep playing as long as the audience lasted.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 01:49 PM   #86
SebastianR17
empty page

SebastianR17 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends

SebastianR17 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 06:59 PM   #87
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
I went to the show, do not remember the exact order, but they did bust
out "Incinerate", "Jams Run Free" and "Pink Steam" in addition to everything
off Eternal except "Thunderclap" as well as "Sprawl", "Cross the Breeze"
and "DV69".

Wow, that's pretty weird that they suddenly went back to playing Rather Ripped material. I wonder why? Of course, I could hear Pink Steam a million times and still love it.
Old 07.09.2009, 07:17 PM   #88
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianR17

just to be clear, that's the richmond setlist. seems like they got amnesia . . . all but three songs are from the eternal or RR. would have loved to have seen catholic block or tom violence. but hell, i'm not exactly complaining . . . i mean, they played the sprawl and 'cross the breeze for god's sake (though they cut out my favorite part of the sprawl). and death valley '69 (!!).
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 07:38 PM   #89
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
I really hope they don't play RR stuff when I see them.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 07:50 PM   #90
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
I really hope they don't play RR stuff when I see them.

Same. I've seen them twice. Once during the RR tour where they played the whole album as well as during one of the DDN shows where they encored with 5 RR songs. Either way I'm sure it'll be great to see them again, but I'd rather just hear all the songs off The Eternal and 4-6 oldies instead. The only song I wouldn't really mind hearing from RR would be Pink Steam. If they're going to play stuff from other 00s albums I'd wish they'd dust off some Murray Street songs.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 08:06 PM   #91
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
I would have been excited with that setlist, but I only got to see one Rather Ripped show and it was on an off night for the band.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 08:29 PM   #92
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
They very likely played RR stuff because they didn't tour VA in '06.
Old 07.09.2009, 08:34 PM   #93
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
wow, i'm gonna keep my mouth shut if THAT's what happens when i start talkin' set list design...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 09:40 PM   #94
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Jeezpers ! I'm an SY fan that loves RR but I'd prefer none played in Nashville Saturday. Each of the last 3 times I've seen them RR has featured prominently.

I'm confident they'll pull out something they haven't played in awhile. So, all of The Eternal then ~5 disparate items !

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2009, 11:39 PM   #95
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
They very likely played RR stuff because they didn't tour VA in '06.

You know, I was thinking that the tunes were being picked with previous tour schedules in mind. It's a great way to spread the love around. Kudos to them!
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2009, 01:23 AM   #96
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
i'm in a way a little surprised they would put that much thought into the setlists.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2009, 02:30 AM   #97
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i know for a fact they do.

unless i'm remembering wrong. that happens.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2009, 09:25 AM   #98
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks_to_Pop
Same. I've seen them twice. Once during the RR tour where they played the whole album as well as during one of the DDN shows where they encored with 5 RR songs. Either way I'm sure it'll be great to see them again, but I'd rather just hear all the songs off The Eternal and 4-6 oldies instead. The only song I wouldn't really mind hearing from RR would be Pink Steam. If they're going to play stuff from other 00s albums I'd wish they'd dust off some Murray Street songs.

I hear ya. Pink Steam is a classic and I have no problem hearing that gem, anything else though I could do without (at least on this tour, playing them again in the future is fine with me).

I'd kill for some Murray Street! Hearing Karenology/Karen Revis. live was one of my all-time favourite live music experiences.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2009, 11:22 AM   #99
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
I hear ya. Pink Steam is a classic and I have no problem hearing that gem, anything else though I could do without (at least on this tour, playing them again in the future is fine with me).

I'd kill for some Murray Street! Hearing Karenology/Karen Revis. live was one of my all-time favourite live music experiences.

My favorite two which I would kill to hear off Murray Street would be Sympathy and Rain On Tin. It pisses me off I had to discover SY in '05 and then get to see them for the first time in '06 when they totally stopped playing those songs.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2009, 01:41 PM   #100
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Yeah, I'm being deliberately hypocritical because I remember when I was first getting the opportunity to see them live, all I wanted to hear were the old songs and I'd always end up at shows where they did mostly new (unreleased) stuff. Drove me mad, no matter how good the shows were. Took me about 5 or 6 years of fandom before I finally got to hear all the staples (at once), but when the novelty of hearing those same old staples wears off you really just ache to hear the new material (or different old staples, ha ha).

What's funny(?) is that every few years new fans (or old fans not able to see them often) will go thru this same cycle!! It's totally understandable...and part of the reason the band has sustained itself so well, I think. Their concerts, particularly the way their new material develops over the course of a tour, is what keeps them vital. They've always been incredibly consistent as far playing almost exclusively new material on tour, so it should be no surprise.

Being a fan of 6 years, and having had the opportunity to see them but twice, on album tours, because they would never play any sort of non-album shows in Canada... I don't think it's really necessarily to play an almost exclusively new material set at a time like their one and only Canadian show for three years, you get me? Even with the "we don't want to become dinosaurs" argument, it doesn't add up to me, personally, play for another half our, you could throw in a bunch of classics and do the whole new album if you want.

Don't interpret this like I hated the show I saw, I just mean, it would be nice to be able to see a show like that, and then maybe a year down the line, another in this neck of the woods that would consist of a more evenly spread setlist.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth