Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Steve interview
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.15.2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.tinymixtapes.com/interviews/sonic_youth.htm
Sonic Youth Interview
In Smaller Steps, In Smaller Pieces

(May 2006)

by p funk

If I've learned anything about Sonic Youth in my years of listening to and enjoying their work, it's that every single note they lay to tape asks its hearers to make a significant investment. This much seems blatantly clear when it comes to feedback deluges like "Anagrama" or the end of "Karen Revisited," but I've also found that even the band's most immediate material is less simple than it first seems. Even the grunge pop ditties on Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star challenge me each time I hear them, forcing me to recognize new nuances like subtle wavers in the vocal melody or a barely perceptible guitar stab. So although I may have spent more time over the past month with the group's latest effort, Rather Ripped, than I have with any other new release, it still hasn't revealed itself to me – hell, I just got around to feeling comfortable with Sonic Nurse a week before I conducted this interview. Thinking it better to let Rather Ripped marinate than pursue banal lines of questioning in regards to it, I saw this opportunity to chat with drummer Steve Shelley as a chance to glean some broader insights into his character and the group's dynamic. Just as skimming a Sonic Youth album too lightly can lead to reductive summaries (Daydream Nation as the masterpiece, Dirty as the pop record, Murray Street as the comeback, and so on), reading the band members as simply Arbiters of Cool or Rock's Ambassadors to High Art misses the meat of the story. Here's one more conversation to give us more frames and angles for thinking about one of rock's most uncharacteristic legends.

Sonic Nurse
debuted higher on the charts than any of your albums from the last decade.

Steve Shelley: Really?

Yeah. I was just wondering whether there was any pressure this time around to continue that success?

Because of the album charting? No, we don't really pay too much attention to that kind of stuff.

Yeah, that's what I'd imagine. But for awhile there – probably after Dirty, before
Murray Street – there was a period where a lot of critics and fans were turning away, and now it seems that no one's saying the types of negative things about you guys that they were then. Is there the fear that that could happen again?

When you put something out like this, there's always the possibility that people won't like what you're doing. So I don't know if it's really fear, but always when you finish a record you wonder how it's gonna be received. And what the public and the press think about your work once it's been released – that becomes more real than what you think of it while you're making it.

How do you feel looking back on some of those albums that weren't as well received, especially NYC Ghosts & Flowers?

I like that album a lot, so I think it's kind of funny, the criticisms that it gets. I realize some of the limitations of the record or some of the things it didn't do successfully, but some of the songs I like a great deal. If you like what you're doing, those criticisms really don't hurt you as much. I really love some of the spoken word stuff that Thurston does on that record, and that "Small Flowers Crack Concrete" song is one of my favorites.

And I feel like songs like "Free City Rhymes" were a natural transition into
Murray Street. Does it feel strange to you that – I've read this in a few reviews – that some people like Murray Street but still discount NYC Ghosts & Flowers or A Thousand Leaves? Does that seem a bit contradictory?

Well, I don't know if it's contradictory, but yeah, I guess there's this weird thing where we've kind of done enough of these albums that they don't even have to stand alone. They can stand as a piece of a body of work. That's kind of interesting to me. I'm kind of a fan of bodies of work, starting when I was a kid and liking The Beatles' body of work, or getting older and enjoying Neil Young's body of work. So to me each record is a piece of the puzzle or one year on a timeline. They just represent something that happened. It's not like each record has to mean everything to me. You can kind of say this is their "so and so" record.

What do you think of Neil Young's new album?

I've only gotten to hear it a few times, but I'm really enjoying it, and more than just enjoying it, I'm really glad he did it. I'm really glad that he talked about the subjects he's talking about, and I'm just a complete Neil fan. I really love his music. I haven't gotten to sit down with the album as much as I want to, but so far I'm enjoying it. You know, the ideas on it are very simple, and they're ones that a lot of us have shared, so I don't feel like he's teaching me anything new on this record, but I'm just glad that someone like him put this out there.

I think Neil's an interesting guy to think about in relation to Sonic Youth, because he's really one of the only people I can think of right now – Johnny Cash would be another example – who's sustained a really high level of creativity over a number of decades. He never really fell off like a number of musicians from his time period. When you started playing music, did you ever think of it as this thing that would be with you for a number of decades, or is it something you just wanted to go with until it ran its course?

I don't think it was something we really thought about too much. I don't think we knew where we would be in 2006. But you dream that you'll have a career, but you spend more time working on the day-to-day stuff.

Did you guys ever come close to going on hiatus?

No. I think the biggest thing was when Kim was pregnant with Coco. I don't think we've taken really long breaks.

Does it feel a bit strange to you to be putting out such consistent albums this far into your career? Do you feel like you have no grand rock narrative to look to for what your band theoretically should be doing right now?

I guess I don't think about it too much. I guess we question why bands can't do that, and why aren't they doing better albums in their twentieth year. Why is it such a given that people's quality of work goes down? Those are the questions that come to my mind.

Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I think one correlation I see is the level of positivity I pick up from you guys and everything I read about you. I know that when artists tend to start falling off is when they give the "all contemporary music sucks" interview, and I've never seen that from you guys.

We're always inspired by things that are going on, so I see what you mean.

What do you think keeps you positive?

I can't really speak for other people, but I just really enjoy what we do. There's so much music out there that we do like, whether it's from current times or previous times. You just learn about something this week and become so excited about it. That type of stuff is real easy.

How has your listening changed as you've gotten older?

Of course, your ear becomes more sophisticated, and once you've heard a lot of things, you can go off and say, "I've heard it before." As much as I'm interested in this Neil Young record, it's never going to affect me the way Rust Never Sleeps affected me when I was 16 years old. The things that happen now are just going to be smaller, you know, adjustments. When I heard Rust Never Sleeps, it was a major change for me, that I could listen to this guy's music and learn what I learned from it at that time. Now stuff comes to you in smaller steps, in smaller pieces.

Is it ever kind of a drag for you, though, that you can't get the ecstatic feeling that you did when you were 16?

There's different things to be ecstatic about when you're 16 and when you're 40.

To revisit the topic of your longevity, does the idea of aging gracefully ever feel a bit funny, as if it's not a very "rock 'n' roll" thing to do?

No, I certainly don't think we'd like to age ungracefully or make a quick exit with an overdose or something like that. The age thing is very odd. I certainly don't feel the age I'm supposed to feel, but you're also aware that you're not 23 or you're not 33. It's a part of your life, and you know society as a whole is learning more about aging and how we're all gonna go through this together, but it's something that everyone has to deal with in some way or another.

The Whitey Album
just got reissued, and that album reminds me of just how much Sonic Youth seems to be obsessed, preoccupied, and so on with pop culture, and not necessarily in this way where you guys are out to subvert it or outright embrace it either. It's always this really interesting line that your music has toed. To what extent do you feel like you and your bandmates embrace the myth and fantasy of being a rock band, and to what extent have you rejected it?

That's a tough one. We're very much into the classic – we're big fans of all the great groups that happened before or after us, and I think there's something really magical when a band is good or when they play together well or have worked together well. But also we came from indie rock and we also realize that rock 'n' roll is a pretty silly thing. And it's a pretty silly job for grown men, maybe not for women so much, but for grown men to be jumping around on stage and acting like they're 16 years old in their bedroom with the air guitar. So I guess we've just been sort of aware of both sides of that, that rock is a force to be reckoned with, and not to take it too seriously.

Do you find yourself some days leaning more toward one side than the other?

When we are onstage, we're taking it pretty seriously, but then sometimes something can happen that can feel like a total Spinal Tap moment, and that knocks you back to the earth if you're getting too high.

It's interesting that you especially, being of a younger generation than the other folks in the band, have such a reverence for rock. I know that in the '80s, when you were coming of age as a musician, the big idea behind post-punk was that rock had run its course and that the electric guitar had a lot less possibility than, say, dub. What made rock viable to you, and what made you keep your interest in it when it seemed fashionable not to remain interested in it?

The post-punk thing was a really huge thing, and rock was becoming tired at the end of the '70s and somewhat at the beginning of the '80s, but the guitar was always an important thing to me in the music that I liked. I never went through a period where I only liked synth music or something, even in the early '80s, because there was the underground, and they used the guitar. Whether it was Arto Lindsay and DNA, or later with D. Boone and the Minutemen, or Neil Young throughout all that time, that stuff was really important to me. But through that time when rock was changing, there were still the traditional people that you were still interested in. Even the Stones – what were the Stones doing, from Some Girls to Emotional Rescue... At a certain point, post-punk became more important to me than rock 'n' roll itself, but we were always sort of pulling for the [older rock] guys. Even Neil had a tough time in the mid-'80s creative-wise, with some of the concepts of his records, when he was doing the rockabilly, they weren't his strongest records ever. But you were still pulling for these guys, your heroes, to keep up the good work, while all these new bands were just doing incredible things, whether it was Gang of Four or the Birthday Party or The Minutemen or Public Image or The Dream Syndicate or Gun Club. There were just so many things happening that made the early '80s just seem like it was such a great time for rock music. And I think a lot of us considered that new music to be rock 'n' roll, too. It's just that our friends and schoolmates and coworkers didn't consider it that – they considered it to be some atrocity.

What was your reaction when you found out that the Library of Congress was adding Daydream Nation to its National Recordings Registry?

I don't know if I had much of a reaction. I think it's very nice, I'm happy to hear that. We weren't able to go to the awards ceremony, because we were working on this new album at the time, so maybe it would be a bit more real to me if I had been, but it sounds nice. It's not something I think about from day to day. It's nice when people tell you you did good.

One thing I've always wondered about – and the fact that you've been talking about Neil Young has reminded me, along with the fact that you were recently in Be Here to Love Me, the Townes Van Zandt documentary – I've noticed that you seem to connect with a lot of singer/songwriter types. Your label even did the Lee Hazlewood reissues. Has it ever been an ambition of yours to do an album like that on your own?

No, I think the closest I've come to that is helping out with Two Dollar Guitar, because I get to play with Tim and we make those records together. But no, I'm not a singer, I'm not a guitar player. I just like a lot of those kinds of singers. Townes is one of my favorite, favorite singers. So is Neil. I've been enjoying Lucinda Williams lately... I've been listening to a lot of Essence. That's stuff that just goes around. Your record collection changes from year to year. But I like those kind of singers a lot. I like other stuff too, but you're right, and yeah, with the label, I put out a lot of stuff like that. I've never really examined why I like it.

I've gravitated more towards that kind of stuff as I've gotten older. It's good!

It's funny, because I liked that stuff as much when [I was younger]. I think Neil Young is the culprit, because I liked the acoustic side of his albums when I was first learning about him and still learning about punk rock. On Rust Never Sleeps, the acoustic side is so beautiful, and the flipside with Crazy Horse is just so ugly, ugly-beautiful in its own way, and I guess I'm attracted to that.

You're probably the only member of Sonic Youth I've never heard in an interview express much interest in abstract art, be it visual, literary, or just noise music or free jazz or whatever. Do you listen to that kind of stuff?

I do. It's not my forte – the others are much more versed in it, but you're right, I sort of learn about it through the others. I like taking part in abstract music, like the SYR 6 we did. We did a live performance with films by Stan Brakhage, and the drummer Tim Barnes played along with it. That was a really fun performance, and I enjoy that stuff a lot, but it's not something I feel like I'm an expert on and can tell you which Wolf Eyes records are must-haves.

If you weren't doing this music stuff, what do you think you'd be doing with yourself right now?

Geez, that's a tough one. I really don't know. I'm really fortunate that music worked for me!
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 05:58 AM   #3
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
moshe again thank you!!!
Old 06.15.2006, 07:34 AM   #4
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Moshe, Harry Potter is my favorite Yoofer.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
THANKS!
Old 06.15.2006, 10:03 AM   #6
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
that is just great..

sonic youth makes this planet interesting and bearable..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
nice

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2006, 11:24 AM   #8
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
proves the amount of true friends are here. this good shit gets buried page 4!!!!! underneath all the my opinion is better than your opinion threads!!!!!

WAKE UP!
Old 11.24.2006, 12:13 AM   #9
stenson
bad moon rising

stenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's assesstenson kicks all y'all's asses
thanks! I never knew that Steve wasn't as into noise. From my understanding they were all really into it. Really interesting, thanks again
"So you're a fan of the Texan bald man?" - Emmah(rep)
stenson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2006, 07:13 PM   #10
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Thankx Moshe
Old 11.25.2006, 11:33 AM   #11
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
" That was a really fun performance, and I enjoy that stuff a lot, but it's not something I feel like I'm an expert on and can tell you which Wolf Eyes records are must-haves."

I love Steve.
Old 11.25.2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Aw, shit. Steve has no singer-songwriter stuff lined up.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2006, 08:48 AM   #13
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Moshe....nice interview
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth