Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A Higher Power
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2006, 05:48 PM   #61
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
The Lord said that no one is good except the Father in heaven. If even Christ was not good, then certainly we are not good, being of so low estate.

You're right to rebuke me. However, I will pray for you and Glice that you receive the Spirit and quit your antagonism.

As I said (or perhaps I merely intimated), you are capable of and have shown yourself to be able to make some intelligent comments. Name-calling is all well and good. I actually agree with you on a couple of points in this thread. I'm not intending to be antagonistic, I disagree more with !"£$% in this instance. However, generally speaking, you don't post as intelligently as you have here. Ok, that's probably antagonistic, I'll apologise herewith.

I haven't really got anything to offer on the topic at hand (for the time being) but lets all just sit down and have a wank and come back when we're not feeling all sporty and testosterone-y, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:48 PM   #62
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the holy goat be with you too. god knows you need some goat love.

Are you talking reverently about Sleater Kinney again?
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:50 PM   #63
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
it is not that-- it's the disgust-- the revulsion-- you understand? you understand that what offends me is you acting like a whingeing, cowardly dog? it is the repulsive sight of it that angers me.

but anyway. the mother the father and the holy goat be with you too. god knows you need some goat love.

I've probably gotten more negative rep than anyone in here....It just keeps getting balanced out with positive rep...

I just figured I'd start handing out the red if you folks hate me so much. Sorry you didn't like your gift--but as I see you returned it! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:51 PM   #64
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This kind of response is nearly universally received by non-believers as irritating and condescending. Just sayin'.

I don't think anyone in their right mind, believer or non, would consider that sort of response as anything but irritating and condescending. Because, well, it is. I say none of it matters. Except maybe Jesus and the Buddha. Jesus said "Take this cup and drink from it; it is my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant." Which means that he erased the previous ideas that one must devote his or her life to the father to achieve salvation. He also said that denying the father, or himself, was not an unforgivable sin. So, any Christian thinkers out there care to explain why it was okay with Jesus to deny the father, and why, with a glass of wine, he decided to call "do-over" on what he considered to be the entire religious history of the world and start from scratch? Any thoughts?
Old 06.28.2006, 05:51 PM   #65
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Are you talking reverently about Sleater Kinney again?

carrie brownstein is the only force in this world that would cause me to have a sex-change operation so that i could be a lesbian. if that's not a higher power i dont know what it may be.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:53 PM   #66
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've probably gotten more negative rep than anyone in here....It just keeps getting balanced out with positive rep...

I just figured I'd start handing out the red if you folks hate me so much. Sorry you didn't like your gift--but as I see you returned it! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

you could start acting with the dignity that befits a man and respond to an offence with a proper counterattack. if i am going to have an enemy, please, let it be a worthy one.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:54 PM   #67
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
carrie brownstein is the only force in this world that would cause me to have a sex-change operation so that i could be a lesbian. if that's not a higher power i dont know what it may be.

Even with the sex change, you still couldn't get her in the sack; she's out of your league, heretic.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:55 PM   #68
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you could start acting with the dignity that befits a man and respond to an offence with a proper counterattack. if i am going to have an enemy, please, let it be a worthy one.

Ooh, can I be your enemy? I've got nothing against you, in fact you're quite a top fella, but I quite fancy having a slanging match. Go on, go on, go on. What are you, chicken?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:55 PM   #69
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheii
I don't think anyone in their right mind, believer or non, would consider that sort of response as anything but irritating and condescending. Because, well, it is. I say none of it matters. Except maybe Jesus and the Buddha. Jesus said "Take this cup and drink from it; it is my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant." Which means that he erased the previous ideas that one must devote his or her life to the father to achieve salvation. He also said that denying the father, or himself, was not an unforgivable sin. So, any Christian thinkers out there care to explain why it was okay with Jesus to deny the father, and why, with a glass of wine, he decided to call "do-over" on what he considered to be the entire religious history of the world and start from scratch? Any thoughts?

Probably because the bloodthirsty God of the Jews was not the true God?

I'm not being anti-Semitic, just saying....You don't see Jesus Christ ordering the slaughter of innocents and such.

Our views of God evolve as we evolve. That doesn't mean God changes--it means our ability to perceive him grows as we ourselves mature. That's why we needed a new covenant--one of love, not legality...You can't put new wine in old wineskins.

Old 06.28.2006, 06:01 PM   #70
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just going to pretend like I didn't read that at all.

They ask me why I'm 'ateful, why I'm bad
They tell me I've got stuff the never 'ad
They tell me go to church and see the light
'Cuz the good Lord's always right
So what?
So what?
So what if Jesus
Died on the cross?
So what about the fucker?
I don't give a toss!
Old 06.28.2006, 06:02 PM   #71
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

Only if you agree to be polite from now on.

Old 06.28.2006, 06:02 PM   #72
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Even with the sex change, you still couldn't get her in the sack; she's out of your league, heretic.

we'll see after the roofies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Ooh, can I be your enemy? I've got nothing against you, in fact you're quite a top fella, but I quite fancy having a slanging match. Go on, go on, go on. What are you, chicken?

that would be nice; remember however you're a "mild masochist" and i have a tendency towards sadism, so it may all end in a very gay spanking.

well if you have something worth fighting about it would be fun. you damn english are quite good debaters, as opposed to your fellow cavepeople on the other side of the atlantic, so i don't have as much practice but BRING IT ON! oh, arguing is fun--
Old 06.28.2006, 06:04 PM   #73
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Only if you agree to be polite from now on.

though i am mostly kind to dogs i have no reason to be polite to them. when you start earning some respect i'll give you your due, but really, i don't see you in a position to make such demands. though i have to admit that making those demands, in itself, does count for something.
Old 06.28.2006, 06:09 PM   #74
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

You are the one who called me a wanker for my beliefs; what I did was merely in response to your insult--you're not on higher ground than I am.

Old 06.28.2006, 06:10 PM   #75
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I love this kind of stuff. I myself do not beieve in any kind of god or omniescient powers that be. To even begin to try to prove one way or the other, i think you woud have to start to get into doublethink, that is, believing/knowing one thing, but also believing/knowing that another thing that contradicts the opposite thing is right. so, it would thusly be impossible to prove either way.

i also believe the big bang theory, but to a certain degree in which it doesn't really make sense, here comes doublethink. something would have had to exist before the supposed big bang, but to create something.. you need something... it's been said already multiple times. and even if there was something, there would have had to be multiple big bangs, because the (known) universe is expanding, coming from the area where this 'bang' occured, but diferent things are going in opposite directions, and what could cause a star, whatever to completely change it's direction.. but that's all theoretical.

most of everything to do with god/omiscience/big bang/existence/etc. completely contradicts itself. the best bet is to just believe in whatever you may think is right, just get down to it (if you care that much) and weigh the facts (or lack thereof) and make yr decision.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 06:12 PM   #76
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
oh shit, i'm too late...
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 06:12 PM   #77
jheii
bad moon rising

I'm still on about this "bloodthirsty God of the Jews" business...

Tell me what makes you think that "Ein Sof" (google it) has the capacity for bloodthirst. Yr perhaps forgetting that religion for the masses rarely touches upon the true nature of the divine, because that's not what the masses need, is it? In fact, look at contemporary Christian theology and tell me how often the sermons that are given from Seoul to South Carolina really speak about the transcendent nature of Salvation and Gnosis with the divine? See where I'm going with this? All religions were created equal, and all views of God the Father are equally frivolous when one is trying to live a holy life. The holy spirit is all you need, and you can call that what you want. This is getting strange...

Do you believe in rapture?
Old 06.28.2006, 06:14 PM   #78
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't been following this thread because I actually have things to do with my life as of late besides reading what people have to say about religion online.

But I was thinking the other day that in modern Christianity as well as many other religions that the relationship between man and God is treated wrong. Instead of a mentor/student or father/child sort of relationship, many religious people pursue a very pagan relationship with God- appease him and he will reward you, anger him and he will punish you. I don't really think that is what God is about. God doesn't really have to punish us for our actions, causality usually has a way of getting around to people.

God doesn't really want to be appeased through worship though. I think he wants every human to accept and acknowledge divine help. Casting away fear so that you can develop your talents that you have been given in life and finding happiness from them. On a larger scale, he offers us salvation from our very imperfections in order to enter into heaven and wants us to accept that.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 06:17 PM   #79
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
we'll see after the roofies

that would be nice; remember however you're a "mild masochist" and i have a tendency towards sadism, so it may all end in a very gay spanking.

well if you have something worth fighting about it would be fun. you damn english are quite good debaters, as opposed to your fellow cavepeople on the other side of the atlantic, so i don't have as much practice but BRING IT ON! oh, arguing is fun--

Gay spanking ahoy.

The argument 'existence of God' always flounders somewhere around the point of the underlying metaphysical system/ belief of the protagonists. Ergo, and argument with yourself is going to be difficult because you've already stated (I summarise) that science and theology are two distinct domains... although I do disagree that the two are incommensurable. Obviously, we have the fact that, predominantly, those responsible for the major paradigmatic shifts in scientific thinking are usually religious - your Einsteins, your Newtons, your Gallileos and the like. What I alway recourse to in these arguments is that science and religion are distinct in terms of their argumentative criteria - ergo, science's economy is one of materialist logic and strict interpretive criteria - remember, although God retains his presence in absentum, the visibility of atoms and the other supposed 'objective' frameworks upon which physics is based are absent except in exceptionally narrow and exclusive conditions - that is, the very, very limited domain of a very, very expensive laboratory. Insofar as this observation is true, it also remains true that, for the majority, atoms are seen only in effect. The contention of my religious side is that I have never seen atoms but trust that others have (in the exclusive laboratory conditions intimated); likewise, I consider that others have definitely seen God, or God's effects (clerics of whatever denomination) and that I have experienced something likewise (although I don't really trust myself enough with anything other than fear).

The crux of my argument lies herein - I can't be bothered to type any more, and I hope I have said something contentious for you to rip apart.

Should you happen to agree with everything I have written, then please consider the following as an invitation for a scrap - You're a big-nosed cockbag with poor personal hygeine. Prick.

Quote:
Old 06.28.2006, 06:17 PM   #80
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
You are the one who called me a wanker for my beliefs; what I did was merely in response to your insult--you're not on higher ground than I am.

though i was clearly using the extreme shorthand, i meant to say that your post amounted to nothing but a load of mental masturbation. hence the term "wanker".

you could have posted what you just wrote instead of crying to me with the rep points, boohooohoo, which is what i found both cowardly and pathetic (though both concepts overlap, they are not the same). get it? if someone insults you, do your best to come up with a proper reply! for fuck's sakes...

so, now that you've grown some balls, let's test your kung-fu...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth