Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page neil young: dumbest man alive or prophet of god?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2014, 02:39 AM   #21
Cunt
bad moon rising

Cunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's asses
^^
Hm, there are already plenty of receivers that play high resolution FLACS. Some at the fraction of the cost of a Pono, too.

Their proposition is portability. The Pono is kind of portable, I mean, you can’t really fit it in your pocket...
I’m not against it, if you’re willing to make the investment (you know, a pair of two thousand dollars headphones) go for it, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
not exactly. the over 1000 people who pledged 5 bucks only get a thank you. even if all the 18,000 who pledged put in enough to get the player that still isn't enough to keep an electronic item on the market long term
No, Kickstarter is not a store. $5, $50, $500, $5000, $50000... you're backing a project, it does not mean you'll get a product.
Cunt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2014, 08:49 AM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt
^^
Hm, there are already plenty of receivers that play high resolution FLACS. Some at the fraction of the cost of a Pono, too.
oh…. I LIKE THAT! with high-res formats i can buy from studios? or do i have to "transfer from LP"? all music FLACs I've seen are 16/44. i'm going to start looking, but please share links if you can. if i could stuff my NAS with FAT FLACs i'd be a happier person.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2014, 09:00 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I use a sapphire stylus and a rotating platter
Old 04.24.2014, 09:08 AM   #24
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I use a sapphire stylus and a rotating platter
butter is your friend!
Old 04.24.2014, 09:20 AM   #25
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
^^

No, Kickstarter is not a store. $5, $50, $500, $5000, $50000... you're backing a project, it does not mean you'll get a product.

i guess i don't understand when you talk. but it does mean you'll get a product if you pledge $200 or more

Pledge $200 or more

100 backers All gone!

EARLY BIRD – With this Early Bird special, get one First Edition Black PonoPlayer. Savings of $199 off $399 retail value. Plus: Website Thanks.

Estimated delivery: Oct 2014
Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2014, 09:49 AM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

some kickstarters are real presales, some are just vaporware.
Old 04.24.2014, 11:32 AM   #27
Cunt
bad moon rising

Cunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i guess i don't understand when you talk. but it does mean you'll get a product if you pledge $200 or more

Pledge $200 or more

100 backers All gone!

EARLY BIRD – With this Early Bird special, get one First Edition Black PonoPlayer. Savings of $199 off $399 retail value. Plus: Website Thanks.

Estimated delivery: Oct 2014
Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
B-but it said so on the internet

Virtually every kickstarter promises a reward in exchange of a pledge, but it’s simply a blind promise between the project creator and the project backers, nothing more.
Believe me, it wouldn’t be the first successfully funded kickstarter that failed to deliver on its promises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh…. I LIKE THAT! with high-res formats i can buy from studios? or do i have to "transfer from LP"? all music FLACs I've seen are 16/44. i'm going to start looking, but please share links if you can. if i could stuff my NAS with FAT FLACs i'd be a happier person.

24 bit WAVs enough for you?
This is probably a good round up of the most popular services:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e_music_stores
Old 04.24.2014, 11:43 AM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
24 bit WAVs enough for you?
This is probably a good round up of the most popular services:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e_music_stores
wav and flac and other lossless are essentially the same, but there's no bit depth info on that table, only bitrates for compressed formats.

high-res file has to come from the label, not the distribution. i'm gonna guess probably sony. e.g., matador sells flacs, but if they are cd-quality that's just 16/44.
Old 04.24.2014, 12:19 PM   #29
Cunt
bad moon rising

How about you click on the links and find that out you lazy prick?

I know for a fact that most of those stores do sell 24 bit versions, obviously the availability varies from release to release and the offer is very limited.
Old 04.24.2014, 01:31 PM   #30
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
How about you click on the links and find that out you lazy prick?

shhh… don't wake me up for stupid stuff

Quote:
I know for a fact that most of those stores do sell 24 bit versions,

point me to one and i'll believe you.

Quote:
obviously the availability varies from release to release and the offer is very limited.

i think changing that, ultimately, is the real objective behind the pono player. pono, bono, bonobo, cocobon, it doesn't fucking matter as long as there's the files and the means to play them.
Old 01.17.2015, 12:56 PM   #31
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Did anyone get a Pono? What's the verdict?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2015, 10:54 AM   #32
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Neil has been having this problem for the past 20 years now, as he has t battle with the reality that the majority of his fanbase are nostalgic old people who grown up to have starkly more "conservative" values than he does.. Personally, I think he gets kick out knocking these off his bandwagon. Really, isn't that what he has been doing his entire career, trying to sabotage his mainstream appeal?

I think a certain portion of his fanbase has always just wanted him to repeat the Harvest album over and over and over. He probably got rid of a lot of them, though, with that tour he did back in the day with a band you might have heard of called Sonic Youth. I have no use at all for people like that, who stopped listening to any new music in high school and want to do nothing but wallow in misguided nostalgia. Fuck their granola eating hippie asses!
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2015, 05:11 PM   #33
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Its not the hippies that Neil has dissed, its Bush voting rednecks who had no idea who the real Neal Young is. Its sort of like the irony of hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit at meathead high school football games when that crowd was exactly who Kurt personally despised. Neal Young has always tried to sabotage his "mainstream" appeal by making his art according to his vision and sadly a lot of people who do not share his vision, unlike ourselves, have at times misbelieved that they liked him. They created a trope in their minds that is not the real man or his art. Also by serendipity on my lunch today i was watching Heart of Gold and i LOVED it. God bless you Neil, you're a true human being.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2015, 05:15 PM   #34
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
My only beef is that Neal vowed to never play Hey Hey My My live after Kurt quoted it in his suicide note, yet retracted and since 2000s has been playing it again

Old 01.23.2015, 05:28 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe he played My My Hey Hey instead?
Old 01.23.2015, 05:30 PM   #36
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Its not the hippies that Neil has dissed, its Bush voting rednecks who had no idea who the real Neal Young is. Its sort of like the irony of hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit at meathead high school football games when that crowd was exactly who Kurt personally despised. Neal Young has always tried to sabotage his "mainstream" appeal by making his art according to his vision and sadly a lot of people who do not share his vision, unlike ourselves, have at times misbelieved that they liked him. They created a trope in their minds that is not the real man or his art. Also by serendipity on my lunch today i was watching Heart of Gold and i LOVED it. God bless you Neil, you're a true human being.

I have to disagree. I put that hippie slam in my post but there are a lot of misguided people who think he should just redo Harvest again and again. I don't think it's all about politics. There are a lot of people who aren't Bush voting rednecks who aren't adventurous at all musically and can't understand why Neil does whatever the hell he wants musically and if you want to follow him, fine, if not, too bad. That's not to say every musical direction he's taken has been successful, or that you can't be a fan of his music if you don't like all of it. But I wouldn't put it down to simply "right wingers hate Neil Young"--although a lot of them no doubt do. Neil has long gotten shit over changing musical directions, and not all of it from hippies or Fix News watchers.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2015, 06:26 PM   #37
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

There was a BBC4 documentary about Neil Young over here a few years back and one moment stood out for especially. He toured again with CSN and they started performing the song Let's Impeach The President and the dickhead zombie retard fans were walking out saying how dare he (cos it was obviously Young and probably Crosby writing that song) do such a thing etc. Admittedly more stayed, but you get my point.*

Funnily enough Bruce Springsteen fans are the same. I love Bruce, but I've never seen a worse bunch of fans in my life who I absolutely despise. They're a total opposite to everything Bruce stands for. Odd really. I don't feel like I could listen to somebody to ethics and politics are so opposite to me.

*Ooh found the clip Let's impeach the president

EDIT:The best bit the people complaining how there's they shouldn't being politics into music. I mean you guys heard Ohio and Cut My Hair right? Fucking morons.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2015, 07:04 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

*Ooh found the clip Let's impeach the president

EDIT:The best bit the people complaining how there's they shouldn't being politics into music. I mean you guys heard Ohio and Cut My Hair right? Fucking morons.
yup, that is exactly the clip that i was specifically referring to by my Bush voting comments,

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth