Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal - A good gateway album?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.21.2009, 10:57 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Some SY albums (DN, EJSTNS) seem to be better introductions to their music for SY virgins than others (CIS, NYCG&F). The Eternal seems to have a good mix of most of Sonic Youth's sounds/vibes, from raw (Sacred Trickster), to joyous (No Way), to reflective (Massage The History)...so, I think it qualifies as a good gateway album for the band.

Agree/disagree/discuss.
Old 08.21.2009, 11:36 PM   #2
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely - it is a very solid album. I still think that DDN is probably the best introduction to their material, if only because it's "a classic."

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 12:37 AM   #3
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses
Dirty, being one of the more commercial sounding albums, seems like a good starting point. At least it was for me.

The Eternal seems like a good album to start with too. Not too rough, not to quiet.

jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 12:44 AM   #4
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I remember one of the criticisms of the album being that it sounds too much likea sampling of earlier material rather than having its own dinstinct sound so I think that would definitely be an advantage as a introduction. Also it isn't boring.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 06:40 PM   #5
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
I think it would be a good introduction album because it has a lot of the elements as many of their previous albums.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 07:56 PM   #6
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
I would go from Eternal to Dirty or Goo or Sister, maybe even EVOL
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 10:40 PM   #7
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely. I think The Eternal is going to create more new Sonic Youth fans than anything since Goo or Dirty, probably.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I would agree that it'd be a good first album. Same with Daydream and Sister. However, I don't agree with people saying Goo and Dirty are the ideal SY starting points. If I'd heard either of those first I doubt I'd've come away wanting more.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2009, 12:47 AM   #9
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
It's good album to start listening to Sonic Youth because it's quite versatile album. Also the guitar noise parts on that album are quite easy stuff so they don't scare new listener away immediately.

But if the listener is familiar with noise and guitar feedback I would recommend Sister, Daydream Nation and A Thousand Leaves.
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2009, 05:00 AM   #10
ember
empty page

ember has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I think it's a good album to like the band, not necessarily love though. It took a non-straightforward album for me to really love them. I'd heard Sister and Daydream Nation and thought, these guys have talent. Then I heard Washing Machine and knew that Sonic Youth was pretty fucking special.
ember is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2009, 05:45 AM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
no its not a good gateway album...its too recent!!
a good album for sy virgins is probably screaming fields and hits are for coffeee drinkers in suits and posing like they want to be on an interpol album ...then hit them with the entire discography (albums) in order, after that psychic hearts and trees....after that hit them with the syr series in order and the silver sessions..after that...go for the jugular and slam damnce the jetsun dorma and other solo jazz improv shit on the high side....after that give them a dose of free kitten..after that they will be mere putty in your hands, bleeding and oozing street cred out of every hole klike a festering lanced boil on the face of oblivion.....

worked for me...seriously it did..a mate was into korm and c***play and other stuff...i gave him the entire sy album discography and was hooked by the time he got to im insane! it does work!!!!
Old 08.23.2009, 04:09 PM   #12
barry swedgin
bad moon rising

barry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's asses
I think The Eternal is a good gateway album, but SONIC NURSE is better. It's not SY's best album, but it's a perfect intro to the band IMO.
barry swedgin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2009, 04:14 PM   #13
pinkstation
children of satan

pinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's asses
I actually really didn't like EVOL or Sister the first time I heard them.

It took getting into Dirty and Murray Street for me to apprecate their genius.

Now EVOL and Sister are my two favorites.

I've really never liked Goo. I really don't like just the feel of the album and how ROCKnROLL it sounds.

Well MOTE is awesome though...

pinkstation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2009, 04:40 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think it is not a good gateway album. Like RR it is a more accessable album for people, but I think it is not quite a gateway album in the sense of that it does not prepare them for more core sonic albums like Sonic Nurse, 1000 leaves or DayDream Nation.. the sound on the eternal is not necessarily representative of the back catalouge of sonic youth albums so it sets perhaps false expectations for new listeners who might not like the sonic sound we like.

for example my introduction to sonic youth starts at 1000 leaves, so I like the 99-2005 run the best, but most boardies here prefer the 80s things like EVOL or Sister, which I like, but I do not prefer. My expectations were set around the sound from 99-2005 and that is what I prefer. The Eternal and RR represent the new era of sonic youth, which is very different in ways from previous eras, and so no, its not a gateway to get into sonic youth.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2009, 06:20 PM   #15
pinkstation
children of satan

pinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's asses
washing machine would be a good gateway album

Old 08.24.2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Sykil
empty page

Sykil has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I think The Eternal and Murray Street make decent gateway albums. I'd say Dirty, but I think it would give the wrong impression of the band – The Eternal better captures the scope of their work.
Sykil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2009, 03:32 PM   #17
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry swedgin
I think The Eternal is a good gateway album, but SONIC NURSE is better. It's not SY's best album, but it's a perfect intro to the band IMO.

i might have to agree.

Old 08.24.2009, 03:35 PM   #18
pinkstation
children of satan

i think the eternal is a good gateway drug

Old 08.24.2009, 03:38 PM   #19
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstation
i think the eternal is a good gateway drug

i dont remember - does it have a parental advisory sticker attached?

Old 08.24.2009, 03:42 PM   #20
pinkstation
children of satan

no
it probably would have if it was on geffen, but i don't think matador is afffected by those

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth